Road works exposing Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hmmm , I keep driving past quarts in sides of roads in local area , new road works that scrape the batters , ect ect , been prob exposed for years so I always thought if there was gold in it , it would be picked at ect. ,,,, , yet I took a random small sample and crushed it for fun !!!! 2 small specs , So. , is there gold exposed and we just ignore it and think the old timers got it all ! , Just makes me wonder each time I drive past exposed Quartz in sides of road in old gold areas , After the bushfires we had a lot of land slips and they exposed quarts , Could they have undiscovered gold :)

Great question Mandissa,
I think a few might expand their horizons in that area, but remember that it's not legal to dig up the roads and verges, I believe that in Victoria that means right up to the fence lines on the sides of roads in most cases.
Cheers Steve

I don't think we are supposed to mine into the road cuttings at all. :)

silver said:
I don't think we are supposed to mine into the road cuttings at all. :)

I know we not , but when it's not a main road and it's always falling into road as well , I'm sure I can pick up a bit , I'm not actually digging . And I did say I picked up a small bit :) .

But I'm sure everybody has seen a dozer on a private property expose quarts building a shed / house / dam ect and wonder if ,,,

Red robin gold reef was discovered as late as 1940 in the upper west Kiewa river and its
First test crush produced over 120 ounces of gold , . It took the person 30 years to find the reef from very small specs , yet the reef was rich , red robin is still being worked today .

So. , What have we missed

If you look at both sides of the road and read which way the seam runs, you could contact the landowner over the fence and heve a play on the other side of the hill to the road. ;)

Here is some free gold if you can be bothered getting it out, VERY VERY hard rock and only small specs that I can see. Its a cut on Toodyay Rd on the West side 250 meters before Berry Rd turnoff.

eijskx.jpg

Thanks AI78 for sharing, shame though it is on a live tenement 8.(

Still may take a drive for education purposes only...

silver said:
If you look at both sides of the road and read which way the seam runs, you could contact the landowner over the fence and heve a play on the other side of the hill to the road. ;)

But you can follow what's in the road cutting to where you can dig it, ie quartz vein. :)

AtomRat said:
silver said:

But you can follow what's in the road cutting to where you can dig it, ie quartz vein. :)
All is possible id recon. :D ;) ;)

It's a very interesting topic. I believe that you can fossick, if that's the right description, along the sides of the road and cuttings. But you are NOT allowed to dig or otherwise interfere with the road edges.

The other interesting thing is, when they do roads, especially unsealed ones out in the bush, they get their base from wherever it is available. By that I mean, they get it from their depots, but the depots can get it from anywhere. You often find lots of quartz in road building, and just like Mandissa, never know what you will find. Also a good chance of picking up some good gemstone samples as well.

Cheers
Bill

Phoenix76 said:
The other interesting thing is, when they do roads, especially unsealed ones out in the bush, they get their base from wherever it is available. By that I mean, they get it from their depots, but the depots can get it from anywhere. Y

Castlemaine has a number of roads laid down in the last 5 yrs and the 'fill' has come from old mine tailings....just never know where the gold will find you eh?....

road gravels that come from eg a quarry near the golbourn river I know of have fine colour in them.

I don't know if what I'm about to share is right or not but when I was over in the GT last year and I was detecting along a road side, I was told that if the local sheriff came along he could confiscate my gear for detecting along the roadside ie the gutter. At the time I'd just got my new 4500 and I wasn't all that keen on loosing it, so I was very careful........but still did it. Gold is gold after all.

Tassie Daz said:
I don't know if what I'm about to share is right or not but when I was over in the GT last year and I was detecting along a road side, I was told that if the local sheriff came along he could confiscate my gear for detecting along the roadside ie the gutter. At the time I'd just got my new 4500 and I wasn't all that keen on loosing it, so I was very careful........but still did it. Gold is gold after all.
:Y: :Y: :lol: ]:D True that Taz. Gold is gold.

Last year a couple of blokes that work for me were on their way to Cooktown. They saw a lad in a cutting trying to manhandle a huge boulder that had dislodged itself and rolled down into the road verge. They stopped and gave him a hand to load it into his trailer and he told them he had picked up other rocks from the cutting and dollied them and he had recovered just under an ounce of gold from them. You never know where you will find the stuff :eek:

Latest posts