Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
For chits & giggles try pressing & immediately releasing the Green button when/if it happens again.
On the F3 compact this performs an audio reset - maybe the SDC has this function too? Worth a try?

Thanks mask,

I'll give that a go next time and see what happens.

Cheers

Doug

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
Hello to all sdc 2300 owners, today I took mine for a walk and the tone sounded normal and was audible. Then, an hour later I turned it on and the starting up tone and internal speaker warbling was almost inaudible

Seems like it might be similar to my issue a while ago.
Minelab sorted it out without too much hassle.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=122185#p122185

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=134685#p134685

Bogger said:
Never had an issue with mine but have to add since running it with a pro sonic on it makes it a new machine :Y:
Doug how's things looking on the weather front your way ? Was heading North early last week but strongly advised against it and rightly so as it has panned out weather wise .
:Y:

Not wishing to hijack "iamagoldenoldie2's) thread . Bogger most SDC owners would be interested to see you elaborate on how the pro sonic has improved your machine . I was about to purchase a set of Sennheisser wireless phones with transmitter , but I will hold off for your reply .
Also does the pro sonic accept any cordless wireless headphones .

Cheers

goldrat

Not much to elaborate on ? Love the SDC but if it has always had one failing in that has always been of annoyance to me is lack of speaker volume. Not much help to you regards headphones as very rarely use them due to the heat where I mostly go. The difference I speak of is simply the standard speaker down at waist height is often hard to hear if there is even slight wind noise or even noisy birds. Having the speaker cordless and right next to your ear with volume control is vastly different to the having just the speaker in the machine. I ran a Deteknix blue tooth system before that which was good also but having the speaker and receiver in one a bonus again over that system. Should imagine you could run any wireless of it as the receiver module just has a headphone jack so should be no different that plugging headphones into any other phone jack I would imagine ? (Quick call to minelab would answer that for you ) In saying that you would be using a wireless system to run a wireless system but ? When I seldom use head phones wired to receiver on me doesn't bother me as I just tuck it into harness, it's when the headphone cord tethers me to the actual machine that it can be a pain in the proverbial.
Personally I think they should give the speaker in the machine the flick and just sell the SDC with a pro sonic as standard equipment. This would also solve the OP's problem and issue also. Only problem I could see there is that the pro sonic transmitter isn't water proof.
Forgive the non techo terms but I'm not a tech head ......................... just into anything that allows one to spend more time swinging than mucking around setting up ...................... surprising how quickly the day can go :rolleyes:

Bogger said:
Not much to elaborate on ? Love the SDC but if it has always had one failing in that has always been of annoyance to me is lack of speaker volume. Not much help to you regards headphones as very rarely use them due to the heat where I mostly go. The difference I speak of is simply the standard speaker down at waist height is often hard to hear if there is even slight wind noise or even noisy birds. Having the speaker cordless and right next to your ear with volume control is vastly different to the having just the speaker in the machine. I ran a Deteknix blue tooth system before that which was good also but having the speaker and receiver in one a bonus again over that system. Should imagine you could run any wireless of it as the receiver module just has a headphone jack so should be no different that plugging headphones into any other phone jack I would imagine ? (Quick call to minelab would answer that for you ) In saying that you would be using a wireless system to run a wireless system but ? When I seldom use head phones wired to receiver on me doesn't bother me as I just tuck it into harness, it's when the headphone cord tethers me to the actual machine that it can be a pain in the proverbial.
Personally I think they should give the speaker in the machine the flick and just sell the SDC with a pro sonic as standard equipment. This would also solve the OP's problem and issue also. Only problem I could see there is that the pro sonic transmitter isn't water proof.
Forgive the non techo terms but I'm not a tech head ......................... just into anything that allows one to spend more time swinging than mucking around setting up ...................... surprising how quickly the day can go :rolleyes:

Thanks Bogger ,
Appreciate your opinion in your reply , for some reason ( and i'm not sure myself ) if i'm going wireless i'd prefer no cords . I have a CTX 3030 which I rarely use so I suppose that is a similar product . I do agree speaker volume on SDC is the downfall , for that reason I have trained myself to headphones with settings , sensitivity on 1 and threshold on 4 . Took awhile but you do have to use headphones . FYI I have increased my nugglets by 30% and plenty @ 0.015 which I realise are tiny but i'd prefer to find that size several times a hunt than extra pellets .

Appreciate your response mate and will contact Minelab tomorrow .

Cheers
goldrat

Hello ALL
Thanks for your replies , 20 more sleeps to go before the expedition , have not tried the unit out yet, but I took the base of the see if it was clean it was because I have only used the SDC 7 times,mostly practicing on how to use it, all batteries were charged 1.2 volts for the rechargeable and 1.5 with the aldi brand found my receipt so it was purchased november 2014 , cutting it fine if I send it back to minelab and its me and not the unit

has any one tried those mimi guitar amps, cost around $60 , attached to the SDC , They have a volume control and battery lasts about 10 hours so I was told , went to goulburn swap meet yesterday and saw my friend there, looks like he lost his socket and when we discussed the temperature aspect he said he thought it was colder than when we found the battery terminal , and the electrical bug haunts him as well, his 2nd starter motor failed as well, he can't believe it.
the guitar shop guy was very helpful and suggested an external speaker from jay car but they don't have any thoughts on the little guitar amp it seems to beat the headphone blues with leads

Yes dont waste your time trying to get alternatives.
Check out Nenad or your favorite detector store, works out better quality and built to handle your detector.
You will need adapter for SDC, BZ booster and either headphones or speaker. All volume your ears can handle.

Or you could go wireless :)

I have the b&z booster with twin speakers on my sdc and I only run it about half volume as I am fairly deaf in the right ear. My biggest problem is I do the driving and the little lady sits on my left side. ]:D

Cheers

Doug

I think I'm convinced the SDC is the detector for us. How long do the batteries last so I can work out how many to get when I purchase one ? Also can you put normal batteries in it or do they have to be Lithium ?

Hi MelBen
The SDC takes 4 x C batteries and it comes with 4 rechargeable batteries and the charger. You should get around 8 to 10 hours per charge. I bought a second set of batteries so I have a charged spare set. You can use normal batteries in it but rechargeable will work out much cheaper in the long run.

cheers

Bob

Yep 8 hrs from the originals and the charger comes with a cigerette lighter plug so you can recharge from your vehicle, this can take a few hours .
I have a spare set but usually by the time you flatten the first set your body will need a rest it is surprising how painful detecting can be with breaks you should get a full day from a set and charge in vehicle at night , having the spare set is smart ,any more sets will nearly be a waste.

Another tip that I was given off a full time prospector is to get a toilet roll and cut a section out of it as shown in the photo and insert it with the batteries and that will keep them snug on the holder as the SDC has been known to shut off if the batteries move around too much. Some people use tape on the batteries but this is far easier to do and it fits perfectly.
1492035819_20170413_081839.jpg

If your buying a spare set of batteries don't waste your money on normal batteries buy rechargeable. If you buy the detector you've also bought the charger :Y:.

Latest posts