Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoudiniHarry said:
Bought my 4500 from these guys and great service and delivery. Just not sure about the free lesson :(

Re the free lesson, did you feel it was of no value?

Bought my 5000 from Maryborough. Great deal, amazing customer service and always there to guide newbies and experienced hunters alike!

Blatto said:
HoudiniHarry said:
Bought my 4500 from these guys and great service and delivery. Just not sure about the free lesson :(

No the distance to travel to get the free lesson was the issue.
But really great service. Mind you Nenad has provided great service since I have purchased the gear.

Toysandthings said:
We currently offer the
Gpx5000 with prosonic wireless deal at $5300.
Cheers.
Lee
Thanks Lee, yes you have a good deal there, however I had already committed elsewhere, will keep you in mind for future as I was unaware of your store

HoudiniHarry said:
Blatto said:
HoudiniHarry said:

No the distance to travel to get the free lesson was the issue.
But really great service. Mind you Nenad has provided great service since I have purchased the gear.

Thanks HoudiniHarry

Hi all,
Just joined recently, been fossicking around Linton area and so far I found a bit of gold the size of a grain of wheat. I keep getting a lot of hits from steel junk in the soil so I tried a DD coil and set it to discriminate against ferrous junk (that is, trying to block out iron signals). I'm sure I set things right, but I still pick up ferrous signals. Has any one else had this problem? It sorta works, if I get to a really big lump of steel like my car it makes strange noises, but I can't block out the smaller pieces. Linton has a lot of scrap iron near the diggings and I really would like to block out these signals.
My minelab is the old GPX 5000 series.I bought it second hand.
.........graybeard

When I use the DDs on my 5000, I set discriminate to 0 until I get a target. If I think it might be junk I turn discriminate to 5, then up to 9. The signal should "chop" if its ferrous. If you set it to discriminate all the time, you will miss targets.

Make sure your front end switch is set to DD as discriminate only works in that mode.

The strange noises on your car are caused by feedback due to the size, are audio related and happen on mine and everybody's GPX :)

Check this Youtube clip, it's Yank but watch it all

In my experience trying discrimination on various Minelab PI's they don't block out iron entirely as such. They blank out or make the signal choppy, as Condor says, which can take some getting used to.
It appeared to me to only work on reasonably sized iron that was also reasonably close to the surface i.e. not reliable on small or deep iron.
I've never spent a lot of time using it but my own opinion is that it's not overly reliable & best used in only the most junkiest places until gold is confirmed there then dig everything again.
If your blanking out large iron targets close to the surface you're blanking anything underneath them too. Easier said than done I know but digging up the targets is the only 100% reliable method regardless of detector used IMO.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, I guess I would really regret missing a nugget next to a piece of iron, so from now on I'll check every signal. I thought maybe my unit was faulty as I bought it 2nd hand. The bloke who sold it to me also sold it with 13 different type of coils. And would you believe, all his DD coils were like new indicating that he didn't use them much if at all. I also found that using a DD coil that it was extremely quiet, I wonder if I missed any nuggets that day? DD coils do not seem to be affected by heavy minerelization.

condor22 said:
What settings are you using with mono coils?
front panel......special, Deep, Mono, Fixed.

Rear pane
GB type.....Gen
Special......fine gold
Main tune ...115
General Motion...slow
RX gain....15
Audio... whatever your ears can take
Audio tone.... 55
stabilizer......8
signal.....19
target vol..... 16
Response....Normal
Tracking .....Medium
Iron Reject.... off

Quick question around EMI noise in contrast to threshold 'hum'. Am I right in saying that the chatter EMI causes, including sudden spikes in noise can be heard over and above the threshold?

Yesterday saw alot of 'noise' where I was at times but I could still manage to hear the constant and smooth 'hum' basically underneath the spits and spurts and noise in general. The two sounds were quite distinct.

Had a few attempts at auto tuning which rectified it briefly but I just want to confirm it was EMI I was experiencing, whilst still hearing the threshold. Noise occured at times when the coil was stationary also.

Other times it was running perfect and quiet.

Using GPX5000, threshold set around 1pm.

Cheers guys.

PPP

Yes, you are correct.
EMI can change throughout the day which means you do need to auto tune again as you did.
1pm is about right. I've turned mine back just a tad to about 12.30 and I can just hear it.
Cheers

Thanks dig'n-it, yeah just confirming the two noises and being able to still hear the threshold. :)

Hey guys hope everyone is well, I have just resisted to this forum, and I'm looking for some help, i used to own a sdc2300 and did very well finding small nuggets as that machine does, I have recently upgraded to a gpx5000 with coiltek 11x17 elite , how ever I have found 2 small nuggets with it that were just throw out nuggets and was lucky to walk over them, I'm more or less asking if anyone who is very experienced with this machine willing to give me a one on one lesson, willing to pay top coin for the help, I just have a lot trouble deciding weather I'm digging a target or weather its ground noise I do live in Melbourne and happy to drive anywhere in the golden triangle . If anyone is willing to help me out please contact me on xxxxxxxxxxx much appreciated.

Moderator Edit.
Please,
No personal contacts on display. :) :)
May I ask why do you need help when you
have found 2 small nuggets. LOL LOL

Wrong section - look down lower in the Minelab section.

Post any questions there.

Mods will remove your phone number - not allowed.

Good luck :)