Garrett ATX coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The ATX runs both DD and Mono coils, what is the differances and what ground should I run each on. Does anyone else make coils to suit the ATX that work better in our soils, minerals. I havn't a clue as to how they work, so a diagram would be best. I have seen a lot of coils for Minelab from other makers that work better, will they work on the ATX too.
Cheers LL

MInelab coils will not work on the ATX and there are no third party manufacturers that produce coils for the ATX. So you are limited to the Garrett range, and there are two new 11x13" DD and mono coils due out mid year that are both lighter in weight, and are touted to have improved depth performance over the stock coils. Some of the Infinium DD coils can also be adapted for use on the ATX with modification.

Here's a good description on the differences between DD and mono coils on a Pulse Induction detector, and their applications. The iron check feature on the ATX will only work with the DD coils. :)

http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/metal-detector-coils.html

Thanks for the link Goldpick, thought there would be something on here; will look out for Garrett's new coils. Was down at Whroo and hit a mineralized area, blows the mind as to what is going on. Took some home and crushed it, no joy. Have to have another go and play with the settings a bit more. Wasn't me near that other spot. I do like the ATX for it's quick set up and quiteness. Yet to make a score, have had it pick up sub grams when sluicing, I run it through the crevis after digging out the rocks in the creek; very handy being waterproof.
Cheers LL

Hey L, the ATX come with the DD coil standard with the 20" and 8" mono as extras, but then I guess you know that already. I found a reference to some new coils to hit the market from Garrett some time in June or july and they will be closed in smaller coils. As far as when to use them, Unfortunately I cant comment much on that because I don't get to the Triangle anywhere near as much as I'd like [once a year] but when I do, I use the DD most of the time and when I want to try for deeper targets on goes the 20". [I don't have a 8" mono as tests suggest that what you can do with the 8" you can do with the DD coil] I will probably get one of the closed in coils when they come out to try to cut down weight [old man's disease - cant carry weights for long] Hope this helps.

Ah Sorry LL didn't read the previous posts. Now you've got all the news

Thank's Tassie Daz, ATX can be a bit heavy, I made a Hip Stick and boy doe's it make a big difference. Used it for a couple of hours at Whroo non stop; before , about 1/2 hour and the back was complaining.
1458553152_p1050005-optimized.jpg

Cheers LL

I think the mono coils get you better depth and sensitivity, at least on my Infinium it did.
At a loss of mineralised ground capability tho.

I havent tested that on an ATX tho.
With the price on ATX coils, might want to wait until
one of us tests that idea.

We will make a point of testing that out
with the next 8" mono coil we get into stock.

Cheers.
Lee.

Thanks for your in put, was wandering if anyone had tried other coils ; other than Garrett. I just wondered if these non genuine coils worked better for Minela detectors, would they do the same for ATX.
Cheers LL

Garrett is planning to release 2 new coils at the end of the year. One Mono and one DD, they will be with shafts and should address the Falseing problem of existing coils when they bump into rocks, sticks etc.. No prices yet.

Should be free or at cost with the problems the existing coil is giving. Don't know why they said it will come with a new shaft?? Should be able to change the coil only, if the new coil is as good as they say , I won't be putting the old one back on.

limpalot said:
Should be free or at cost with the problems the existing coil is giving. Don't know why they said it will come with a new shaft?? Should be able to change the coil only, if the new coil is as good as they say , I won't be putting the old one back on.

Probably because the existing shafts won't work with the new (and revolutionary) sliding coil mount mechanism, see discussion here:
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1570-new-garrett-atx-coils-2016-atx-detector-options/
and pic here:
https://www.facebook.com/nqexplorer...0.1453414235./651960401612776/?type=3&theater

Closeup (probably a prototype):
1468797755_garrett_sliding_mount.jpg

I think that was probably just Garrett's prototype in the photo - the top of the coil looks to me like it was 3D printed. Tool making for injection moulding is not a speedy (or cheap) process, so the release delay is unsurprising. Also, given the problems they experienced with the original ATX coil knuckles failing and subsequent need for a redesign and free replacement program, I'd imagine Garrett will be wary of the bad publicity that a repeat of those issues would engender.

That's why I sold my atx and bought the gpx4500 I couldn't justify spending so much for the coils and at the end of the day they no where near as good as Minelab

For anyone after said coil call us and we will see what we can do to help you.
ATX 11" x 13" MONO Closed Searchcoil

For a limited time we can sell them to you at $600.

Cheers.
Lee.

New Mono coil arrived on thursday, great price, thanks Toys and Things. Tried it out on a spot up yhe back I"ve been over with the DD and I think it"s more sensetive. Still had some falseing at full Sensetivity, not like the DD though. Have to wait a couple of weeks to get to a gold area to really test it out.
Cheers LL

limpalot,

It has been a few weeks...
Have you used the new coil much ...
I am thinking of getting the new mono coil....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Latest posts