What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
echidnadigger said:
My memory of puddlers is a little vague now days but if memory serves me I am pretty sure cyanide was used in the process to break up the clay. If this was the case then it stands to reason that cyanide may still be present at some level in close proximity to the old puddlers. If there is an imminent threat to a prospectors health and well being then I would also say stay well clear of working the ground around and down hill from any puddler. I also believe in protecting the heritage of these areas and dont want to give anyone a reason to exclude us from these areas, because of the act of digging around them. If someone could elaborate on the facts of the operation of puddlers I would like to hear from you. Thanks

Thanks for the heads up..

Hi all,I have been trying my luck around Nundle and Hanging Rock area in N.S.W. for the past few months.I try and go walk about once a week in some very steep terrain and around old gold diggings and mines.I have a Garrett AT Gold detector plus I have tried panning in the creeks and rivers,I have found 1 single speck of gold panning and about 5Kg. of various rusty old junk,bits of old tools,nails,nuts,bolts,horse shoes and about half a kilometer if joined together of rusty fencing wire!
I have done numerous tests with a friend's small gold nugget buried to a depth of 450mm the detector picks it up every time.What am I doing wrong?am I looking in the wrong places?
I need help!
Thanks in advance,
cheers,
Larry.

Larry I don't know your area but most of us have spent months working the hills an creeks before we found the first bit. All I can suggest is spend a good portion of your time on research. You need to be in an area where nuggety gold has been found. You might find gold where the old timers sunk shafts and mined reef gold or others panned for gold in the creeks but we may not be able to reach that gold with a metal detector. We can only expect to get alluvial or eluvial gold on or near the surface however sometimes we manage to snag a bit that somebody has dragged up from down deep and left in their mullock heap.

I know everyone loves this thread - me included,
Last post from loamer was 2014.
Anyone know if he is still here?

Ryan27 said:
Hi Loamer
My understanding to surfacing is the gold in the area was super rich and sat close to the surface on an ancient clay layer or bedrock. The old timers basically took the lot !!! Leaving the hard layer underneath. Surfacing is the name given to this form of mining. It is difficult to find gold in areas marked surfacing for a number of reason.
For the old timers when they found these deposits it was EASY gold !!
Happy days.
Also every newbie to detecting sees this on a map and works the area with their magic stick. (please note for the record) I am guilty of this.

The photo you posted of the site at Moliagal was surfaced hard! The welcome stranger nugget was unearthed by a horse buggy wheel.
However some good nuggets were found extremely close to that monument ( not on the surfaced area ) as recently as a few months ago.

I couldn't help but notice the comment in regards to detecting puddlers. Be very careful with these sites they are our history and heritage, eventually they will return to the earth by erosion. I personally don't prospect the puddlers, we are lucky to still have them to appreciate now. The fine for desecrating a site of historic significance starts around the $2000 mark. And If you re wondering if anyone has been fined this amount for hitting a puddler, the answer is yes.
Sorry to sound like an environmentalist on a mission.
I am very proud of our heritage and how our ancestors calved the australian economy from the earth.

Cheers Ryan
Sorry, do yoo meen carved?

Latest posts