Fire Equipment for Vehicles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Guys,

Just thought I would throw out some recommendations and some idea's for the community.
First of all how many of you out there have a fire extinguisher installed in your vehicle? When was the last time you checked it? when was the Last time you did a basic inspection on your fire extinguisher? At the end of the day its all well and good to have one but there is not much point in having one that won't work when you need it.

Type: 1Kg ABE with a vehicle bracket is ok and will do the job. But my Recommendation would be a 1.5Kg or 2Kg ABE with a hose as you can get it into tight/confined spaces as well as you have more control over the direction of flow. Also the reason i recommend the ABE Powder is that i covers all bases of fire and is the best all rounder, also as they say bigger is better as it will pack more punch, but i do know that in vehicles you are normally tight on space so if you can i recommend a 1Kg at least with a hose.

It's also all well and good to have a fire extinguisher but there is not much point if you can't access it when needed and also having it mounted as just having it floating around in your vehicle give you a much higher chance of discharge and with a powder extinguisher you don't need to discharge any powder for it to loose the nitrogen, Hence why i recommend inspecting it at least before every trip or at minimum every 6 months. This inspection should consist of checking the pin and tamper seal are in tact and that the gauge is in the green or at the correct working pressure, also invert the extinguisher and hold it to your ear you should hear the powder move if not you can loosen by holding it upside down and taping the base with a rubber mallet, that step is a very important one as it is one of the worse places to keep an extinguisher is in a vehicle for the simple fact that the vibration over time will compact the powder like cement and if you go to use it you might as well throw it at the fire because most likely nothing will come out of it. also unscrew the hose and inspect it that there is nothing obstructing the flow while you have the hose off inspect the spindle that it is also not obstructed.
One Little tip if you do use or find your fire extinguisher is empty trust me don't bother getting it refiled as it is cheaper these days to just replace it.

One other little recommendation I would suggest for the vehicle would be a Fire Blanket 1.2 x 1.8 we all should know what there for and they also take up very little room.

Fire Extinguishers and Fire Blankets are ONLY ONE use items. Extinguishers once used even if you don't completely discharge it, and look like they are still good replace them as once you get powder in the spindle as it will slowly leak the nitrogen out.

I Hope some of these tips have been helpful and if anyone has any questions I am more than willing to help.

Cheers,
Muddy

Yeah that's right mate normally they are only between 20 and 50 quid.

I did miss saying also when your doing your inspection on the extinguisher you should also check that there is no damage to the cylinder or any parts. You would be surprised the stuff I have seen over the last 10 years some of it is funny but most of it would scare you.
Also to Australian Standards 1851 all fire extinguishers should be pressure tested every 5 years, Once again I would just discharge and go buy a new one.
Fire blankets should be checked at least every every 6 months all you need to do is check that the blanket is not contaminated in anyway and that the blanket feels soft and is not brittle. One of the biggest issues I have found over the last few years are the Chinese made blankets have nylon pull tabs and these pull tabs seem to rot in UV light and will just crumble in your hands. The flamestop blankets that are Australian made have Cotten pull tabs and are better quality but are a little more expensive and that also goes with there fire extinguishers but you get what you pay for.
One brand that I highly recommend using is Flamestop they are an Australian company and I can't fault there products.

Then again you buy what you can afford because something is better than nothing.

Cheers for the timely reminder Muddy. Will check mine today, something I've sadly neglected to do.

I turn my extinguisher over periodically to reduce powder compacting, don't know if it is necessary but I feel more comfortable.

Baz it's what's you should do. If the powder compacts you can't guarantee correct discharge, it will most likely only fire out what's in the siphon tube.

Hey fellas,
I had a lipo battery in my toolbox (mounted on the tray) explode and cause a nasty fire, I got onto it within 5-10 seconds as I had an extinguisher handy.
Without it I would have been screwed and possibly lost my vehicle.
So for the sake of $30 keep one handy in the vehicle.
Now I have a nasty burned electrical smell even inside the cab, but almost no damage due to the extinguisher. Lucky I was there though.

A good idea to have at least 1 Fire Extinguisher on Board... I have 2, 1 Under Front seat and one in the rear of my 4x4.. Both are 2.5kg each..... A 1kg will do FA in a Real Fire in your Car and Shake them up every few weeks... The Powder Compacts over time and in an Emergency you may only get about 1 sec of 'Spray' out of it if it's Compacted...
Were the Lithium Batteries Power Tool Batteries? if so, would they be MAKITA brand?

LW....

Nah LW, it was a RC battery, Lithium polymer, different to lithium ion found in most tool batteries.
I won't use them anymore.
It was in one of those upright aluminum tool boxes you see on traybacks, the pressure built up enough to blow the door open, I was in the car and heard an almighty BANG!
After seeing flames I jumped out, grabbed the extinguisher and nailed it. being down in the toolbox it was a fairly confined area so it was put out pretty easily, closed the door and on my way again, pulled up at a safer spot and dumped the smoldering battery in a bucket of water. All up considering what it damaged I'm only out about $200 so that's pretty good considering.
Edit, those dry chem type dump out a very fine powder which gets EVERYWHERE, dunno how but it's even in the top shelf, right at the back, when I was just spraying down the bottom cavity area.

Hi OP, was the lipo charging or just sitting there not being used? I use a lipo to run my 4500 instead of the minelab battery.

Hi RichterScale. When I was running a lipo battery on my detector the advice I got & stuck to was to carry it separate from the detector while travelling in one of the fire proof charging bags somewhere not prone to vibration, shock, impact etc. & don't charge it in the car (even in the bag). Never had an issue that needed the fire bag but it was just a precautionary thing that made sense.
As seen above accidents do happen & OP doesn't seem to be the flippant type from his other posts. Just need to be careful with them. I would use lipo's on my detector/s again without hesitation - great set up if respected.

Great reminder OP. Never know when they might be needed. Went past a grain tipper late one night that had the rears alight, he was pulling over as I approached. ...and he had only a used one on board, damage could have been in the 1000s luckily the little $25 extinguisher did the trick quick smart.

Having driver fire training refresher every year I was paired in with some tanker drivers one year, you would be surprised how big a fire can be stopped in a short time.

Touch wood I've yet to use one on my own personal vehicle but its a bit like ambo cover, very small outlay for peace of mind....you'll wish you had one when the need arises.

Glad everything turned out ok for you.

RichterScale said:
Hi OP, was the lipo charging or just sitting there not being used? I use a lipo to run my 4500 instead of the minelab battery.
Hi mate just went poop, not charging and not connected to anything, it was a spare ready to use battery all by itself.

Occasional_panner said:
RichterScale said:
Hi mate just went poop, not charging and not connected to anything, it was a spare ready to use battery all by itself.
Thanks for that info.I always carry two with me and leave them in the house. Have done for the last year. After reading your post i Googled some videos that showed the batteries exploding when they weren't even in use or being charged. Got a water proof box and put the batteries outside for now away from anything that could catch fire. Will order a flame proof bag like mbasko suggested to store them in now. Will also remove it from the detector when not in use. I was always under the opinion that the lipos were only capable of catching fire when being charged. I watched a video and was amazed at how big the flames were when one explodes. Not something id like to happen when im a sleep in the roof top tent overnight.

Latest posts