Good Australian site for meteorites .

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Outback , yes used that for my Black Springs find & passes every test , so it will eliminate a high percentage based on those facts alone. The decider is the nickel iron presence

Might have to take the 5000 out there with me next time there for a poke around and see if there's any more, a meteorite would be cool .

Interesting site mate, I have found a weird rock that is not magnetic and does not reacts to detector but very heavy. Any idea?

1394933630_image.jpg

1394933659_image.jpg

1394933688_image.jpg

nice buddy, i think the scientific term for that is "biggusebony ;) usrockus", its a pearler ;)

Sorry for opening an old post here, but from what I know some meteorites contains a lot of Silicon Carbide ( SiC ). A 9 volt battery and a couple of wires to the rock should make a slight glow between the negative wire and rock, just as a LED would glow. I could also be mega wrong here, but possibly worth a try. Silicon Carbide can 'simply' be made by smelting clay (aluminum silicate) with coke (carbon) at 1600'C in a graphite crucible ( Lely process )

AtomRat said:
Sorry for opening an old post here, but from what I know some meteorites contains a lot of Silicon Carbide ( SiC ). A 9 volt battery and a couple of wires to the rock should make a slight glow between the negative wire and rock, just as a LED would glow. I could also be mega wrong here, but possibly worth a try. Silicon Carbide can 'simply' be made by smelting clay (aluminum silicate) with coke (carbon) at 1600'C in a graphite crucible ( Lely process )

Me too.

To me it looks like it has a texture inside that might be diagnostic, but you might not want to cut it to see. Ni_Fe meteorites (with SiC) are magnetic. Even stony meteorites would probably give a small response to a hand magnet. SPecific gravity is always the best way to start - unfortunately after that you usually need to either analyse a piece or cut it.

Have you resolved it by now?

tailormarc said:
Been told that here in WA we arnt allowed to own them. Property of the GOV :(.

That's correct , notice most meteorites are found over in NSW were you can keep them :lol:

This is one I found & cut to show the metal inside .

One of these is not a meteorite ' can you tell by just looking ?

OK I'll show what one :D very hard to tell from just a photo guys but thanks for giving it a try .
The cube is one CM square .

It's the ironstone bit on the left that's been desert varnished , the middle meteorite is a stoney & on the right a rare type called a mesosiderite
Here they are cut open :

That's an awesome test Outback! Very hard to tell by the inexperienced. I would have chosen as the others did for sure! Why would we hand over anything to the government? I think they tax us enough and keep enough from us all. If in WA and lucky enough to find a meteorite, I say what meteorite??
Thanks again Outback :Y:

Very interesting Outback, I will certainly be looking at lumps of ironstone with a different perspective from now on. :) How is the best way to identify a meteorite in the field? Or should suspect rocks always be brought home for further investigation?