Liver of Sulfur

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D ... as much as the name leads one that way, and it is 'true' to an extent, however, have you ever seen up close the finish on a piece of plant equipment hydraulics ram, or printing press rollers, even the coatings on bearing cases...all can be 'Cobalt'...and some are 'industrial' chrome which is different composition to 'show' chrome...they have different requirements in use.

I have a Mitsubishi badge with Chrome, Gold, & Cobalt...when the chrome, cobalt and nickel are placed side by side, the chrome looks bluer than the others, while the nickel appears to be more pink/yellow in appearance, and the cobalt in-between. With my camera skills, a pic wouldn't transfer very well online...an example is a coin i did in copper...you can barely see the pinkish new copper look in the image, yet it looks great like a new struck penny in life... :8

I offer potential 'chrome' customers this finish (Cobalt) as an alternative (cheaper too...) for anything that is 'decorative' and not requiring brinell hardness in use, such as badges, dial faces, early model pull switches (also in nickel) etc.

I wouldn't consider it for a road driven street car bumper, but a trailer-ed only show car might get away with it...

Sometimes i get's lucky taking pics, other times not so lol... :lol:

Gypsy

Just thought id mention something i noticed yesterday while cleaning the pennys..

I had them in olive oil for about 5 mins, but grabbed them out of the oil to take the photos of them and had placed them onto the piece of paper i had my finds on out in the direct sunlight. Me being me..i lost my phone, took 10 mins to find it...eventually got back to where the finds were sitting and i had noticed that the crust on all the pennys had cracked like mud and was simply 'popping' away from the coin as the sun heated them. Might be useful for someone out there

That sort of goes along with the idea of wetting and freezing coins then putting them into a warm place to crack the surfaces crap off.

Cant remember where I heard of it, but think I also came across it with our resident junior video detector in one of his vids - LonelySilver

The oil may be a better medium as it would take more energy to heat it than the coin.

Good find, worth a try and some experimentation.

AtomRat said:
Just thought id mention something i noticed yesterday while cleaning the pennys..

I had them in olive oil for about 5 mins, but grabbed them out of the oil to take the photos of them and had placed them onto the piece of paper i had my finds on out in the direct sunlight. Me being me..i lost my phone, took 10 mins to find it...eventually got back to where the finds were sitting and i had noticed that the crust on all the pennys had cracked like mud and was simply 'popping' away from the coin as the sun heated them. Might be useful for someone out there
Hey AR...i once read that this guy used to leave his coins on the dash of his car with the windows wound up...after two days the crust on the coins would just wipe off...i havnt tried this yet but makes sence..as heated metal expands then retracts when cool :Y:

golddiggerart said:
Olive oil covering the penny and microwave for 2 minutes seems to do the trick.
:eek: :eek: :eek: The warning label on my microwave says not for use with metal objects :eek: :eek: :eek: be careful gda :rolleyes: :lol:
Not sure how I did this one :rolleyes: It started as a brown mat finish toasted penny DOA
cleaned it Quickly in citric, hot water, lime juice and salt :eek:
Polishing with steel wool soap pads, it wasn't totally bright copper but clean for plating[some bright copper :eek: ]
It sat for a week on the laptop and started blackening nicely, this could be about three weeks after 8)
1490853571_patinapenny_001.jpg

1490853571_patinapenny_002.jpg

1490853571_patinapenny_003.jpg

It was a lot cleaner than that, might be the humidity along with the salt air in my place
I'll let it sit there for ever :rolleyes: :lol: see how black it gets, The pictures don't show the colour well :p

Latest posts