New Member in the Upper Goulburn river Kevington A1 mine, Sluice setup

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All ,
Nice to join the group, send me a message if your up this way and need help with anything.
Need some advise please.
I live on a large alluvial area , has many old small tunnels in the river bank , following the old river bed.
I am putting in shed pads and tank pads and as a result have lots of alluvial dirt I would like to wash and see whats in it.
So I need a sluice of some sort , Water supply is no problem, Looking to buy some sort of setup, what would you suggest to begin with ?
I would like to post some pictures of the soil type but as I am new I cannot post pics yet ( I don't think? )
Any advise would be much appreciated.

The A1 mine near Gaffneys Creek is currently running around 16 ore trucks each day back to Bendigo, so things are cranking up there.
They where advertising for underground workers recently.
Anyone know what sort of grades they are getting ?

Regards
Chris

G'day bud, and welcome to the forum.
What a lovely part of the world you live in.
I haven't been out that way for years. Use to go up that way fly fishing,
When you reach 10 posts send me a PM and I might be able to help you out with a few things.
Most of the time I'm over the other side of the range around the Walhalla area.
Or over eildon way, so it's not that much ferther to come over and help you out with sluice - highbanker or other gear.
Cheers Kane.

Thanks for the reply,
I am really looking to buy something , secondhand or new, basic sluice , pump mats etc. recommend any retailers , or secondhand gear suppliers ?
Cheers
Chris

I'd get a pan like a garret super sluice and pan the dirt to make sure there is sufficient gold in it to warrant any expense. You then are limited to your states fossicking laws unless you are going to mine and that will define what equipent you would purchase.
Jon

Yes, agree, but I also would like to run a fair bit of dirt through and don't feel up to panning, so what High Banker or Sluice would you suggest? It's not In a river, but I have plenty of water, pumps, space ect.
Cheers Chris

I made my own banker.
And run the dream matting in it.
Total cost was around $200
I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow for you.
If your handy, then it should be pretty easy to do.

Great XIV , Thanks very much , have a workshop , can weld, not so hot at welding alloy though !

So many awesome options out there.

Test pan some of the areas and see if you get flakes.

i find 10+ flecks in a pan makes it worth running, any less than that you burn more in fuel.

1489986964_2017-03-20_16.15.13.jpg

This is my setup from the top.
1489987024_2017-03-20_16.14.28.jpg

This is the set up for the sluice.
The matting is the most expensive part of it, as I had the rest of it at home, other that the sheet of aluminum, which I got from the scrap joint for $25

1489992145_2017-03-20_17.41.07.jpg

The crash box is 900mm long, 300mm wide and 300mm high, with the grizzly bars 280mm .
The sluice is 1080mm long, 120mm high and 300mm wide.

Dream mat.
I've used a lot of different types, but have found this the best at capturing the fine gold.
Gold hog mat is good but expensive.
Other with riffle and expanded mesh work ok to.
But in my opinion, the dream mat is the best.

Ok thanks for the input. Shortly I will have enough posts to show you the ore I want to run through. Shoveling with a large shovel 20 kg or more per load.
Thanks for all this input very much appreciated.
Rgs Chris

Yes , the big question ,
Have around 20 acres of similar dirt / ore, so the shed may get some larger extensions in the future.
Bit like the pub made out of gold bearing river clay bricks, dismantled brick at a time, as they where crushed and washed.
Have 2 to 3 months to go before the shed arrives, so need to get cracking and prove it up.
Cheers
Chris

Latest posts