Canberra region information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to see the relevant act/s if you have a copies, in regards to fossicking and or detecting in the ACT I haven't been able to find anything.

Cheers

C&L

A question for all the canberra people on the forum.

Am I legally allowed to metal detect in canberra?

I found some Interesting areas on some aerial images I have access to (.5m resolution) but don't want to get myself into any trouble?

Thanks guys

Of course you can as there are a number of us who coin and relic hunt only. Been detecting here for about 8 years now and have found thousands of coins and relics. Good luck and keep digging.

Dutchy (Jarhead)

Hi all,

Never had a go at this before but we thought the kids would enjoy it and my wife is keen herself.

Looking for info regarding areas not too far from the Canberra region, so maybe as far as Bathurst or Batemans bay areas to start with.

Happy for anyone to send links to info or post it here.

Also if anyone doesn't mind us tagging along and can teach us the basics that would help.

Mostly interested in panning for gold and gemstones.

We have a 4x4 so more remote places aren't an issue for us.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Welcome to you and your family
As most are at work at this time the answers will be slow should pickup around dinner time
Click on the forum tab and do some light reading

Welcome Rosswab.... I can recommend a little place called Tuena. Its about 2 hrs north west of Canberra. Its on the road between Goulburn and Bathurst. There is a lovely camp ground with showers, flush toilets and power if required. A powered site is $10/night and an unpowered one is $5/night payable at the local store (there is only one. Parsons Store). You can pan in the creek and will likely find gold if you look in the right place. ;) Anyway I hope you enjoy the hobby. There is a lot to learn.

By the way I recommend getting the Garrett Super Sluice Pan :Y: . They are the best and relatively cheap.

Hi Ross,

I am a fellow Canberran.

Tuena, Oallen Ford, Warri for Gold.

Grabben Gullen for Sapphires and Zircons.

3DDevil said:
Welcome Rosswab.... I can recommend a little place called Tuena. Its about 2 hrs north west of Canberra. Its on the road between Goulburn and Bathurst. There is a lovely camp ground with showers, flush toilets and power if required. A powered site is $10/night and an unpowered one is $5/night payable at the local store (there is only one. Parsons Store). You can pan in the creek and will likely find gold if you look in the right place. ;) Anyway I hope you enjoy the hobby. There is a lot to learn.

By the way I recommend getting the Garrett Super Sluice Pan :Y: . They are the best and relatively cheap.

Thanks, will definitely look at getting some decent gear that has good recommendations. I was thinking at starting out with some pans and a sluice and go from there depending on how addictive it becomes compared to my fishing addiction haha.

Getting the basics this weekend and taking the kids to see if they can find anything yellow out mogo way.

Hopefully I can post a find

Hi Ross,

I have started with a 14" pan, 1/4" sieve, snuffer bottle, bucket, shovel and scoop.

I am considering to buy a sluice, highbanker or a hog pan next.

It's pretty addictive! :)

Hi Rosswab and welcome to our forum. :) :)
In here you will find pages and pages of information that will keep
you enthused for months if you read the lot. :D
Mogo is a great starting point and so is Oallen Ford.
Oallen Ford is on the Nerriga to Goulburn Road.
The turn off is just before Nerriga on the Braidwood to Nowra Road.
One thing I would like to point out to you.
When you are fossicking in a State Forrest, You will need a permit.
You can add the family under the same permit.
Click on the link below and follow your nose. Also, There is a guide
to fossicking in NSW so have a read through it to get an understanding
of the rules and regs.
Above All, Have Fun. :Y:

Doug
http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking

Rosswab said:
3DDevil said:

Thanks, will definitely look at getting some decent gear that has good recommendations. I was thinking at starting out with some pans and a sluice and go from there depending on how addictive it becomes compared to my fishing addiction haha.

Getting the basics this weekend and taking the kids to see if they can find anything yellow out mogo way.

Hopefully I can post a find

Thanks Tarthradj

Yeah I've found the link and sorted the very reasonable 12 month permit for my wife and I plus 3 kids.

Really looking forward to it and the chance of bumping into a few of you guys out there.

I'm a total noob with stone identification but my wife can ID them much better.

I'm good at lifting heavy stuff, so hopefully I'm of some use haha.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and helpful tips

Eric2017 said:
Hi Ross,

I have started with a 14" pan, 1/4" sieve, snuffer bottle, bucket, shovel and scoop.

I am considering to buy a sluice, highbanker or a hog pan next.

It's pretty addictive! :)

I've scoped a couple of spots I can fish in between shovel loads of dirt

Should be fun :Y:

Welcome Rosswab,

If your heading down Mogo way it might be worth while stopping in at Detectaden. They may point you in the right direction. You could also stop in at Old Mogo Town where you can try your hand at panning. Anyway, good luck and hopefully you find a sweet spot in Mogo creek....

willo1 said:
Welcome Rosswab,

If your heading down Mogo way it might be worth while stopping in at Detectaden. They may point you in the right direction. You could also stop in at Old Mogo Town where you can try your hand at panning. Anyway, good luck and hopefully you find a sweet spot in Mogo creek....

Exactly why I'm trying mogo. Cos it was the nearest place we could find that I could buy the basics from :Y:

Called all the outdoor stores in Canberra and they didn't have anything. Detectaden were helpful on the phone so I'm going to part with some dollars there this weekend

Welcome to the forums Rosswab

Oallen always a good spot to try, fairly easy to find gold there and usually a few fellow prospectors around to ask questions and check out setups.

I've always got good service from Detectaden.

Good luck with it.

Mick

Latest posts