great day out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all went out to my local reservoir and caught my pb red fin its a monster.
1489913593_win_20170319_16_46_27_pro.jpg

1489913638_win_20170319_16_46_21_pro.jpg

Problems with reddies is that in a lake, especially they can reproduce at phenominal rates if there are no established large predators present . The food chain becomes insufficient to support the huge numbers of reddies so they become "stunted". I witnessed this at Malmsbury reservoir several years ago, huge schools of reddies , but all about 100/150mm long . You can get some pretty big "reddies" in amongst the timber in Lake Eildon

Similar problem with carp, but not good eating. They are generally bottom feeders , sucking up mud, sifting food out, then expelling the mud, which increases the turbidy of the water, decreasing the oxygen content and inhibiting light for plant growth, they also spawn out massive rates of eggs that can stick to water birds legs and be transported to unaffected areas.

The good side to all this is if the fisheries dept's in the relative states stock the rivers and dams with large fingerlings of trout, murray cod, Macqharie perch and ( yellow belly,callop, golden perch) the natives and the trout usually come out on top after a year or so

cheers Keith :Y:

A lot of redfins being caught by the locals at rocklands reservoir i been told :Y:

Latest posts