Shu Roo electronic kangaroo deterrent

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a good bull bar clegy. When i was living up in the Snowies i met a young bloke who had a beautiful v8 ute and on of those spick alloy bull bars the young bucks in SA run on their utes. We got to chatting and he told me it cost $2500 bucks to buy and have fitted. Saw him a few weeks later and the bar was crumbled to buggery, he'd hit a roo at speed, but he was wrapped, the car (his pride and joy) was undamaged :lol:

I fitted some whistles but every time I go out these days I seem to hit a kangaroo.

Does anyone know how to tune them to attract florins?

1440638918_image.jpg

Wally69 said:
I fitted some whistles but every time I go out these days I seem to hit a kangaroo.

Does anyone know how to tune them to attract florins?

Yup, glue them to your metal detector.

Very clever Wally, I'm surprised that Rocket didn't come up with that one :lol: I think goldtruck said that those whistles had to move at over 80 ks per hour to work though mate :lol: :lol: Hope you've got the stamina to keep swinging that fast and it might reduce your chances of pinging gold :lol:

SCROUNGER said:
Very clever Wally, I'm surprised that Rocket didn't come up with that one :lol: I think goldtruck said that those whistles had to move at over 80 ks per hour to work though mate :lol: :lol: Hope you've got the stamina to keep swinging that fast and it might reduce your chances of pinging gold :lol:

Not sure Rocket is interested in shu-ing the roos just yet.

I'll do a bit of speed detecting and see if the the theory holds. :lol: :D :lol:

I used to drive from Sydney to broken hill three times a week, I would hit between five to twenty Roos each night, fitted a Shu too and hardly ever hit one again, when I sold the truck the Shu roo and the engel fridge were the only things I kept

Don't drive early morning/late afternoon or night works for me , If I do drive slow and slow down every roo seen . 40 years never hit one Bull bar a virgin. :)

The shuroo emitted sound still cannot be heard over the normal road noise emitted by the vehicle. This had been independently proven and has not been disputed by Shuroo.

The shuroo site does not answer their own question in their field test link:

Does Shuroo work?

If shuroo did work, they would confirm it in writing and provide references to their own research to be scrutinised. Rather they give the following blurb:

"ShuRoo is an electronic device emitting high frequency sound and was designed as an early warning alert for kangaroos and other wildlife. ShuRoo is not designed to scare or panic animals. It has been described as a police siren for kangaroos to alert of an approaching vehicle. This is because the sound emitted continually ramps up and down through a range of frequencies that alert and disturb wild animals. It is a sound that is not normal in their natural environment."

I ended up spending the money on a decent bank of LED lights to spot those buggers lurking off the edges of the road. Whilst I was at it, I also upgraded the stock headlights with some decent globes. :)

I used to drive from Sydney to broken hill three times a week, I would hit between five to twenty Roos each night, fitted a Shu too and hardly ever hit one again, when I sold the truck the Shu roo and the engel fridge were the only things I kept

Both work mate, I drive road trains and while you would think with a 5 post bar I wouldn't worry about roos, invariably the bastards take out my lights. The shoo roos both electronic and stick on ones work, have to regularly clean the small ones of bugs, but they actually work against you sometimes, roos eating on the side of the road tend to stay there unless spooked, however the whistles alert them and the mongrels are like women and can never make up their minds which way to go lol. The best thing to do is have a good set of driving lights, and once they are alerted, drop your lights and they tend to hop off, if you leave the lights up they tend to be dazzled and usually hop back in front of you, best of luck! Ned :8

Take it from someone who manages insurance smash repair estimating, I've seen many many vehicles with all forms of "shoo roo" type repellents with skippy wedged in their front bumper. They aren't a sure thing.

Best advice is to minimise driving after we dark because that's when 99% of my customers have roo strikes, keep aware of any silhouettes ahead that look like skippy's, and slow down when you see them.

There is no way to prevent it, just ways to minimise the chance.

That being said, I have no proof the shoo roo doesn't act as a deterrent

Latest posts