2inch suspension.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
polky said:
Thanks again fellas. Fred spent 25 yrs Mt Isa and the Curry, I was a fitter/welder out at Selwyn gold mine construction and maintenance. Aunty had a cattle station just pass Gunpowder. Done me trade mount Isa mines.

A lot of weekends were spent mustering on bikes or camping middle of nowhere.Fair but of time riding and camping up Gregory way.

I have a budget of 10k for the upgrades and will not be skimping on anything. Dual battery's, 2 sportiest and light bar will be fitted by my son auto sparky.

Have done quite a bit of off reading,spent 2 weeks Georgetown area, and other areas closer to CQ. Yes sometimes we have pushed out vehicles to the extreme.
A good tip with lockers nice and slow, no need to thrash the vehicle

Always have brainwaves when heading bush.

Polky
By think we did a couple of bores at u aunties

Some really good advice there. Night driving, for the roads only! I was driving just on dusk at Margaret diggings last year, spear grass was still green, and windscreen high. Guess what you see when the head lights are on? So easy to loose the track, half hour later and I would have spent the night in that stuff, no breeze and mosquito paradise.

1481630444_img_1079.jpg
You can't have too many lights.Standard every thing works good on a Hi Lux except the lights..

Hey mate. I have a Mazda BT50 which is pretty much the same car mechanically and I ended up fitting the tough dog kit with the foam cell shocks. (non adjustable) .

Best upgrade I have done so far. I also put the BF Goodrich K02 tyres.

My advice would be to fit at least 1" bigger overall tyres and do the lift.

If you intend on fitting a bullbar and winch make sure you put the heavier Springs up front.

No matter which lift you put you are going to need a transmission spacer kit also to drop the centre tailshaft housing and stop driveline vibrations.

On the rear I put the 300kg + leaf springs because I have a canopy, draws and aftermarket rear bar aswell as heavy duty roof racks which are yet to be installed.

At the end of the day if you are intending on fitting extra accessories which quickly add up in load just make sure you get the right Springs to suit.

Hi Polky,

try the guys at Trekmaster in brisbane for advice on you suspension upgrade. The dobinsons are great springs best teamed up with Tough Dog or OME shocks.
Speaking from personal dealings these guys are always happy to give advice and discuss what will work best for what you want to do with the 4x4.

Bear in mind that your lifting a truck with IFS so depending on how much lift you give it a diff spacer might be needed to stop binding etc.

Also bear in mind that when you increase your tyre size it adds weight to each hub and slows your acceleration but once you get things rolling it adds kinetic energy and takes more effort to stop too. The bigger your tyres the more effects you will notice.

Just on the palmer reigion too, detectors are not permitted around maytown in the general permission area just hand fossicking. Hope you can get onto some mates with leases that will let you have a swing on their place. Its a great part of the country, equal parts historic and ancient.

Georgetown area is also fast becoming popular, you shouldn't have any trouble finding lots of places to stop and have a fossick.

Cheers,
TGW

Thanks for info fellas. Dobinson springs,bilstien shocks,E locker,
Again thanks

regarding your suspension questions i went dobinsons and never had a problem with them , i thrash the panties off my rides ( on private land of course orificer ).

a few years ago tough dog shocks had a bad run with the strut ends snapping off the rod , i am sure they changed the design since then otherwise they would have gone bankrupt with all the litigation it would have created .

Tough Dog made massive sales volumes after a couple of good magazine reviews , i hope those were accurate in an era when social media and print media can create marketing frenzies , these days we are swamped by so many " opinion pieces " its becoming difficult to sort out whats true and whats crepe.

Old Fred ..... thanks for sharing the wisdom in the posts above .

Latest posts