Ararat Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im planning a day feeding the high banker soon to ararat, just wondering what creeks have enough water at the moment..
or do I need to bring my own water?

Hey westyjames,

Ararat can be pretty dry even in the middle of winter apart from a few spots that have water for most of the time. I am not a local so maybe someone from there may know more. If your highbanking then maybe taking your own significant water supply is needed. Apart from the water issue, there is still plenty of colour in those creeks if you look in the right spots.

Cheers

Water HAHA what water I from Ararat and there is very little to no water in the creeks all the creeks I have been to are dry or a pool of water just enough for panning but I wish you good luck westyjames

Yes very dry this year.I did a prospecting trip to Ararat last weekend and the creeks I went to were all dry.how ever some puddles around and I did come home with a bit of the yella stuff.be prepared to take buckets over with you as where the water is may not be where the gold is.I took over 2 sluices planing some serious shoveling and they never left the car.thank goodness for the detector and the pan I took along or it might have been a long quiet drive home to SA.best of luck buddy

Had a second thought and yes I do remember good water in cemetery creek my maps tell me this was a gold bearing creek and one other time I was over there the guy from the tourists information center recommended it to me but I didn't end up trying it.hope this helps :)

Morning PA members hope you're all having a relaxing Anzac Day, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good place In Ararat I could get a bucket or two from a <- edit, creek? I'm going up for a b'day party so I won't be able to stay for long I'll respect the town and her creeks. I just wouldn't even know where to start and haven't had time to research

Ps thanks in advance

Next1m8, I spent some time out at Norval a couple of years ago and while I didn't find any gold, came across some really cool relics. The best one, a 4penny wendts weight. There was lots of activity in the creeks coming off the hills just around there, so I'll be going back at some stage but probably not this year. Hope you find something. Let me know how you go. Daz.

Hello, is there any area around Mildura/Wentworth worth checking out? Or do you really need to stick to know gold prospecting areas.

Sadly I didn't get any time at all to do anything, one day I hope I'll get the chance to meet up with MJB out there perhaps, but time will tell and then with his advice I'll have a crack all depends on weather and if I can get some good advice

Hi Hi,

Last minute question. Passing through over the weekend with a few spare hours, I don't know the area.
Is there anywhere with water? or is it detecting country?

Cemetery creek looks possible from the research I've done so far, but is it running?

Sorry to hear the creek was dry !
Seems nobody was able answer your question.

Did you try a little dig around some boulders etc and dry sieve some fines to take home to test?
Maybe a spot worth taking a look at in a month or so :)

GG

goldengoose said:
Did you try a little dig around some boulders etc and dry sieve some fines to take home to test?
Maybe a spot worth taking a look at in a month or so :)

GG

The areas I looked at were pretty overgrown, and it was 30+ degrees. Didn't end up bothering.

30+ degrees so u didnt end up bothering... we wouldnt do any fossicking in north queensland if that were the case. Lol

itsdw said:
30+ degrees so u didnt end up bothering... we wouldnt do any fossicking in north queensland if that were the case. Lol
Theres a reason i dont live in north queensland

itsdw said:

In truth I stopped a ways out of town and panned some mullock, lots of pyrite.

Latest posts