Walhalla area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiluxlou said:
Prospector Pete, next time your up that way head nth on springs road and get into the head waters of the Aberfeldie river. It's a pretty rough track to get in there (steep as buggery and not recommended when it's wet unless you have lockers on your truck) but the small feeder creeks flowing into the Aberfeldie have some great bedrock crevices and they hold some nice yellow.
Regards
Hiluxlou
Hey just in case anyone else digs up this thread looking for walhalla tips some of the tracks out there are no joke. i very nearly got stuck today pointed down a steep incline when a track shown on my gps ended abruptly mid descent.

sorry to bump old thread

IsThisGold? said:
Hiluxlou said:
Prospector Pete, next time your up that way head nth on springs road and get into the head waters of the Aberfeldie river. It's a pretty rough track to get in there (steep as buggery and not recommended when it's wet unless you have lockers on your truck) but the small feeder creeks flowing into the Aberfeldie have some great bedrock crevices and they hold some nice yellow.
Regards
Hiluxlou
Hey just in case anyone else digs up this thread looking for walhalla tips some of the tracks out there are no joke. i very nearly got stuck today pointed down a steep incline when a track shown on my gps ended abruptly mid descent.

sorry to bump old thread
Yep it's pretty much billy goat country if you wander off the main tracks too far, when I get up that way I tend to stick to the main tracks as I'm travelling alone so no recovery vehicle, I'll walk if venturing too far off.

Good video OP and thanks for posting it.

My thought's on it are stick to the main tracks so you won't ever have to worry about recovery, I don't run a winch and only have very basic recovery gear but luckily common sense has seen me get to some spectacular places without ever getting stuck, sure I do river crossings and some decent low range off road stuff to get to my favourite places and not to say I won't ever get stuck but I'd rather spend the time I get to go bush fishing, prospecting or simply relaxing around the fire, not working out how the hell I'm going to get out of a situation I should never have been in the first place.
That's just my thoughts though and it works for me.

1489556605_dsc08885.jpg

1489557110_dsc08570.jpg

To True ProspectorPete............." I'd rather spend the time I get to go bush fishing, prospecting or simply relaxing around the fire, not working out how the hell I'm going to get out of a situation I should never have been in the first place." :D

I second that Jaros, a ripper campsite setup :Y:

Cheers
GG

Awesome adventure guys. Great finds and beautiful photos. My hubby and I tried prospecting for the first time last weekend being the 30/1 oct. and hired a gold detector from the good chaps at coiltek Marybrough. We where around Castlemaine, Marybrough and dunolly. We found jack diddley squat. Ohhh lots of rusty nails and bullets. But had a ball and carnt wait for our next time off to go again. Walhalla might be a interesting place to visit.

Gday prospector Pete was reading ur post from 2014 when u in walhalla. I know all that area quiet well being going there for 35+yrs as I live in the Yarra valley moved the the Gt 2 yrs ago what caught my attention was u said bout the mountains the fishing an that appeals to u more then the Gt ur so true they r such a magical place full of history n so peaceful I hope I retire there one day as well cheers crowd gold

crowy gold said:
Gday prospector Pete was reading ur post from 2014 when u in walhalla. I know all that area quiet well being going there for 35+yrs as I live in the Yarra valley moved the the Gt 2 yrs ago what caught my attention was u said bout the mountains the fishing an that appeals to u more then the Gt ur so true they r such a magical place full of history n so peaceful I hope I retire there one day as well cheers crowd gold

PLEASE write your posts with full words NOT text !!

Ok thanks for the message without the arrogance now I understand, people say about the wording in messages may be the need to look at the way the word there messages without the arrogance ??

Bud, the mod you are arguing against, speaks fluent morse code....
As do I as a matter of fact!!
The point is and has, been pointed out to you....
No arrogence intended, just information..

Im not arguing Im just trying to have a conversation with another interested party. I felt I was being attacked if that wasnt the case I do apologise and I do appreciate the fact that the age old craft of Morse code is still kept alive by people such as yourselves. Quite impressive I think. Im just on here to learn more about prospecting as I find it extremely interesting and would like to hear any suggestions on this subject matter. Thank you for your feedback and I will try to keep my messages clear from now on. Cheers

Hi all can anyone please give me an idea of any areas I can do a little bit of panning in as I am going to walhalla this week , the wife has had shoulder surgery and I don't wish to go to off road with her and I will probably have only a few hrs anyway we will be staying around rawson thanks all

Where the park is in town, you can pan in stringers creek, as long as you don't dig big holes in the creek.
The locals are kind and friendly, the pub do a really good meal.
Have fun up there.
All the off roads will be closed this time of year, so most of the little creeks will be out of reach anyway

ProspectorPete said:
This is my first post and I'm totally new to fossicking/prospecting.

Weather permitting I am taking the wife and dog camping around the Walhalla area the weekend of 27th-28th Sep as it's been quite a while since we've been able to get away and just chill.
We've talked about panning and fossicking for Gems on camping trips for the past 18 months so I finally got off my bum and purchased a couple of pans, picks and a short handled shovel, miners permits etc. and will keep them permanently packed in the back of our 4X4.
We've camped at Coopers Creek, Bruntons Bridge and just north of Aberfeldy in the past and I have a list of exempt rivers & streams printed so as to NOT do the wrong thing.
I was wondering if anyone here knows of any specific area's around the Walhalla area that could be worth spending a few hours panning for fun, hopefully have the chance of a small speck or two.
I have Rooftop's maps as well as Hema Maps 6 Navigation to get around with but we're just basically looking for any pointers that may make our first camping/prospecting weekend that bit more fun and hopefully seek out some new spots up that way for future trips.
Happy to camp it rough as the wife loves to swag it under the stars, lucky for me :)

Cheers,
Pete.

Hi ProspectorPete,
A note about my experiences at Walhalla though a bit late to be useful as a response to your original posting. My mate and I have panned (only) in Stringers Creek with some luck but only giving up small specks to us. We found nothing in Coopers Creek. Usually we panned in Stringers just off the Main Road in full view of all passers by. Nobody ever bothered us. Hope you have had enjoyable trips to the Walhalla. Must get back agai to that area when the lockdown eases.
cheers,
onegram

Latest posts