Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it would match the old gold bug 2. My goldbug 2 has paid for itself many times over. I got 400 bits once of a heap of pipeclay the total weight was less than 20grms. I would like to grab one to compare, auto ground balance can mean missing tiny gold as it balances it out, especially being vlf in mineralised ground.

I havn't found any machine yet to compare with the GB2 for tiny gold that the pi minelabs overlook. But I am hoping, hehe. We have not found any other machine that can chase gold veins like the GB2 does either. I have some buddies that have found ounces of vein gold using GB2's, crusher, etc. They may have broke the mold after building that machine?

Looks like this machine may not work with mono coils since both coils that come with it are dd? Or will they come out later with more coils?

mxt sniper said:
Looks like this machine may not work with mono coils since both coils that come with it are dd? Or will they come out later with more coils?

I really Like this Machine, But I sure hope it can run both types of Coils, Concentrics can see bits 3x smaller than DD's.

I am Amazed at the features on this machine, No Smoke , No Mirrors just Pure Detecting, I sure hope it is just like the video,

John.

Now these seem cheap. Might buy 100 of them at this price.

1488834088_minelab.jpg

No wonder they are out of stock :)

mxt sniper said:

Do you mean Concentric? No vlf has ever worked with mono coils as you need separate windings for Tx and Rx.

Ha, yep PhaseTech that is what i meant, concentric, not mono, you can tell I swing minelabs a lot.

PhaseTech said:
mxt sniper said:

Do you mean Concentric? No vlf has ever worked with mono coils as you need separate windings for Tx and Rx.

I never knew that, but why does my daughters Go-find 40 have a mono coil?
Just wondering.

Thanks
Daggy

well that has to be a cockup in the printing, I have never heard of a mono being fitted to a VLF,

As Nenad pointed out a VLF needs a TX= Transmit Coil and a RX= Receive Coil,

where a Mono / PI Machine sends out a Pulse and then turns it's self Off and listens for the Returned signal to see if it has been altered by an object in the ground So a Mono only has one Coil.

hope this helps,

John.

Nope it's not a misprint, I've checked and it's a mono.
The coil has no centre ring and is rectangular.

Waiting for a can of worms to open up now! What have I done?

Daggy

Daggy said:

Daggy

Well according to Minelab it appears to be "So" but I don't know how they got a VLF to work with a Monoloop because a VLF needs 2 Coils to work effectively.

I think we need Nenad to Educate us some more.

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Daggy said:

Daggy

Well according to Minelab it appears to be "So" but I don't know how they got a VLF to work with a Monoloop because a VLF needs 2 Coils to work effectively.

I think we need Nenad to Educate us some more.

John.

It works well too. Handles wet sand and ironstone soil and goes deep for a cheapie!

Daggy

The Go Find coil is a stated to be a mono, the TX & RX windings are most likely in the single housing. You can get mono coils with a single winding doing both send and receive, or seperate windings in to do the same job on PI's, so I guess the Go-find coil is actually a concentric wired into a mono enclosure. Probably explains why it is so hard to pinpoint with having no smaller inner receive coil. That's my take on it anyway. :)

Aside from that, the GM looking like a simple beast to use, especially regarding the ground balancing. Look forward to see how it fares here on mineralised ground.

Okay, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention the Go-Find, looks like it wasn't long at all :D

The Go-Find is just special. This is from the horses mouth, i.e. Minelab:

The GO-FIND coils are a special type of monoloop coil designed to work with the GO-FIND electronics. The GO-FIND brochure and website information is therefore correct. This technology is patented by Minelab. Relevant patent numbers can be found on the Minelab website: http://www.minelab.com/anz/patents for anyone interesting in learning more.

Anyway, I don't think we'll see any Monoloop coils on any non-pi gold machine any time soon. In fact the last concentric coil I can remember that was on a Minelab VLF gold machine was the optional 9x6" Concentric coil for the XT17000 and Gold Striker! Unless you include the X-Terra 705 where concentric coils are an option.

Actually, now that I've mentioned that XT series Concentric coil......anyone notice the Gold Monster coil is 10x6", as opposed to the normal 10x5" ;)

We had the APLA field day today at Dardanup, WA. The Prospectors Pick brought along the full range of Minelab detectors including the new toy.

The first thing that struck me was the weight. It's very heavy at the coil end for an entry level detector. I checked it out on youtube last night so I was interested to see it in the flesh.

We use the % of iron readout on our Whites GMT all the time to get an idea of the type of target. The Gold Monster has a similar sort of indicator. If the scale moves to the right it's gold, if it moves to left it's iron. It worked fine on a little gold nugget and a gold ring but it's not reliable. A guy dropped his stainless steel watch on the ground. When I swung the detector over it from the right it was gold, when I swung from the left it was iron so I guess of you want gold you just have to be swinging in the right direction ;)

Latest posts