Prospecting (Gladstone Area)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dukie you around Gladstone?

Cornwalls Gully is not any more .... pity but it's now covered by suburbia.

Looking at G/E img below it's the red line running Nth/Sth alongside Penda Avenue. Fair bit of gold was still being panned from creek where the red line is. Lots of fox holes as the gold was under the conglomerate along the western side of the creek.

Last big nugget was found in 2004 by Jack Lang - 1100.3 gram Crystalline nugget. http://www.irocks.com/minerals/specimen/8590
The biggest nuggets I found from around that area were about 8-10 grammers in the late 90'. The gold was both smooth and reef gold. They never found the reef but it's probably covered now also.

1488432283_02-mar.-02-15.jpg

Me and me mate spent 3 weekends with the Z,SDC and 4500 in the bush area beside Harley road found rubbish no colour. Just saying, so ya don't waste ya time.
Have found approx 15 gram in gully's behind Kirkwood,that was 7 days full on.
Starting to put some time in to Canoona 50ks past Rock. Zero first trip,but will give it a few more trips.

Polly.

polky said:
Me and me mate spent 3 weekends with the Z,SDC and 4500 in the bush area beside Harley road found rubbish no colour. Just saying, so ya don't waste ya time.
Starting to put some time in to Canoona 50ks past Rock. Zero first trip,but will give it a few more trips.

Polly.

Hey Polly, just wondering with the area at Canoona is it private where you go. Keen to meet like minded people in the area and get out in this heat lol. Is it only with tectors or is there alluvial as well?
Hooroo for now.
Matt

Year private property, and the owner asked us to leave and not come back. The area has been flogged so back to Clermont when it gets a bit cooler.

Polky

polky said:

Polly.

Did the area along Harvey Road years ago without success - lots of people looked but never heard of any gold coming out of there. It was all in the creek just to the East of it which is now built over. Cornwalls Gully is gone now due to development.

Hey Polky
I met you at Clermont in April
You were camped there at Wolf's lease
I introduced myself and said I was from Tannum You said you were also from Tannum
You got a couple of pieces on day one with the SDC
How did you end up.
I am still looking for a detector buddy in our area
I would love to catch up with you and maybe swing a detector together.
If you have the time and are interested can you email me
I haven't found anywhere around here where I can get access.
From Clermont I went to Gilberton and then to Hillsborough
Its a long way to go for not much of a result
Gary

KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi Gary what did you think of Hillsborough Station we head there next week.
K-M

Hi
I only spent 24 hours there. Found a few nice pieces.
I think it has great potential and I can't wait to get back there
I believe the camping area at the homestead is good.
I will probably camp there next time. I camped down on the creek and detected close by
Gary

Hi Guys new to the forum. Just wondering where I can find general permission areas to detect around Gladstone? Are there maps available? :)

Hi jenko,
there are no general permision areas around gladstone, most of the gold bearing areas are on private property, so gaining entry is by permision only.
A few of our local creeks have small amounts of gold you might pick up in a pan. At lowood you can find amythist, and calliope somewhere there is some agate. A few other members may know the location of the agate, but i cant help you there.
tyrion

Thanks Tyrian. Typically is it hard to get permission from land owners how do you go about finding out who owns what? Do people do deals as in a share of anything that's found kind of thing? I'm interested in metal detecting for gold.

Ive found most land owners have no problem with you having a look around, other than the general concern about you wondering around the bush by yourself. As long as your honest about why you are there. As for crown lands in qld im still working out myself how to find out the boundaries. For the moment im traveling to clermont or warick to detect while i find some ground here to swing on.

Although you may find some owners a bit stand offish, this is due to another hobby in most of the state, pig hunting. Some owners have lost countless beasts due to scumbags entering there property without permision, and running there own show in the middle of the night. So be sure when you do get permision to stay within the boundaries of said property.
Tyrion

Maybe Mike...im not planning anything at this stage, most of my trips are last minute due to work. But if i have time ill head away.
Tyrion

polky said:

Polly.

Hey Polky
Did you ever get back to Canoona and how did you go?
I have tried a couple of times. No luck.
Lots of ironstone, shotty pellets and old boot nails.
Do you go in from opposite the monument on the Bruce Hway or do you go in off Atkinson Road
Gary

Hi guys to make it clear to all if you don't have permission to prospect on the opposite side of the monument well then don't its crown land under lease to a local grazier, its not a free for all even though some people have stated it is and there's talk of new fences and padlocking gate. It would be appreciated by the people that have permission that you stay out unless you have the paper work from the owner stating your allowed to be there (that doesn't mean a prospecting licence) it means permission from the owner.

Also there is gold behind the monument you just have to spend a bit of time getting a start.

The digger and I are driving up to Gladstone boxing day to visit a mate that has just moved into a house he bought in West Gladstone..
We want to take the detecters and some pans so we can get out and explore the area ..any suggestions for places to head out to, would be appreciated.. Cheers
Nuc :Y:

Hi All,
I am a brand newbie to both detecting and panning, and have just moved back to town.
Some interesting reading on this site and this thread
Looking forward to getting out and about.

Latest posts