Adelaide Hills Trip (Chapel Hill Echunga)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
condor22 said:
I'll have to go up there before I head back to Victoria with the 5000. Apart from Watts Gully there's also Snake Gully. It got its name for a reason I'm told - so at this time of year, BEWARE THE MOVING TWIGS.

Some areas at Chapel Hill may play havoc with your PI machine, there are high tension powerlines running through the eastern side of the reserve near New Rush. Christmas Rush is the place that most guys find the little tiddler pieces of gold, not far from the access track on the western side. There are literally hundereds of shafts in that area to explore around, but also plenty of PI unfriendly rubbish lying around in some areas, just have to have a wander around to find some decent areas. Plenty of deep, hidden shaft openings, so be very cautious. :)

Christmas Rush - yes, that's the spot we hit. The EMI was incredible for the PIs (checked them at the car parking spot near the track in) - hence the VLFs we took in. the undergrowth was amazing and the deep shafts were covered in grass/twigs in a lot of instances and bloody dangerous. we actually walked up from the reservoir through the scrub and ended up at the rush. Would hate to be in there in summer with the threat of fires. the reservoir/dam looks interesting - I am thinking the old blokes may have taken their wash there? would have been a hoot to detect in the drought. apart from the tiddlers we found, also pinged a shilling in there, just beside an animal track at the Christmas Rush - 1835, which is amazing as I got an 1836 shilling @ Tarnagulla Vic some weeks later.

Thanks Goldpick, pre-cambrian, now that is old rock. I haven't seen it around my area. I did have a look on the net and i didn't know that white clay was called pipe clay. I have seen it in a few places in Arnhem land and i think it might be the clay the Aborigines used for painting there bodies. They also used to eat that clay a lot as well. We learn a new thing everyday,thanks. :)

Hi All.
Over the break I thought I would give Chapel Hill another sweep, seeing as loamer did so well.
I didn't have the same luck, though I did come across an old copper bolt in a mullock heap. One end is capped with clay and also holds a very small nail. I will take a picture and post it tomorrow.
I said g'day to a local who was riding his push bike down the track to the dam. On the way back up he stopped to show me his sack of yabbies!.... nice. Just after he left, I had the pleasure of getting an inch ant bite on the ankle, but you all probably heard me screaming and cursing at the time. I went home then............ :(

TTKooAu, sounds like quite the adventure ,be interesting to see the copper bolt you discovered! Those inch ants are a pain I've also had the privilege of being bitten many times prospecting. Carrying a bottle of Sting-goes in your bag is a good idea, or manning up and screaming it off , whatever works aye :lol: Didn't dig up any mouse spiders at chapel hill? I find them most targets I dig. Never had any luck at chapel hill either. My hats off to you Loamer

Stingoes, now theres a good idea!.
On reflection the bolt is iron with a fair bit of copper oxide inclusion at each end (maybe copper washers), also a lump of what looks like graphite or similar on the bottom end. It was found with the copper wire, don't know if they were intertwined before I dug them up but thinking maybe.
As for mouse spiders... nooooo never come across one thank god!
1389144668_bolt1.jpg
1389144682_bolt2.jpg
1389144693_bolt3.jpg
1389144754_copperwire.jpg

Further to above pictures of the bolt, turns out it is copper (who knew!.. try the magnet!!)

Also the 'black inclusion (bottom right of the bolt) is actually charcoal. The wood grain is quite visible under a voile.

The 'nail' when view from the top has only half a head, and is ribbed with barbs on half it's length.

Looks like junk, but I am thinking it has a story to tell, considering it was about 6 inches into a mullock heap at a mine entrance.

Hi All, some good results here. I took my first trip up to Chapel Hill a few weeks ago. Interesting place, but no colour for me yet unfortunatly. but ill be back in there soon.
I did notice some recent crevicing in the run off, might be worth a shot next time.

:)

Latest posts