Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one of those Jungle Reef swags from Techni Ice, and have been very happy with it, except for the 50mm mattress. It is better on top of interlocking rubber mats, and these make a big difference in cold weather. I have a self-inflatable mattress which I now put under the swag (if you put it in the swag, you end up a bit close to the roof!

I'm looking at options for a 75mm mattress, to see if that is better.

I have used this setup for extended periods -

1488771248_camp_cue.jpg

Oztrail Swag on stretcher. I have a small self infiltrator mattress between the stretcher and the swag. This stops the bow in the stretcher bed and gives you a good flat area. In the swag is a 75mm mattress with cotton sheet over mattress and a very light sleeping bag for summer, heavier for winter. In summer the canvas gets pulled right back and folded over the centre bar near my feet end. Just sleep under the mozzie net and enjoy the view.

Only negative is getting in and out a bit, though much better being elevated than on the ground. Does take up a little bit of room also.

In Winter I put a tarp over the swag bar and occy strap it to the legs of the mattress. I have been some serious storms and touch wood (knock, knock) have never been wet or even uncomfortable.

We also had a tarp between the cars on most occasions. This was an over nighter in between travels just camped up for the night. Gold was found about 1k to the left of the image 3 nice little pieces and I am sure there is more there.

The old Patrol blew the motor on the last trip and is now sold. Guy put V8 into it :) My mate now has a Landcruiser and I still have the Prado. I also sleep in the back of the car at times as well. I have it setup to take a single mattress if we are spot finding and not staying put.

Hope that helps.

Looks like a good setup.

Looks like the swag I used to used but felt a bit claustrophobic.

Got the new double swag and love it, but just need some more mattress under the body to help out.

Neo__04 said:
Looks like a good setup.

Looks like the swag I used to used but felt a bit claustrophobic.

Got the new double swag and love it, but just need some more mattress under the body to help out.

Yeah size is an issue a bit agree. However going bigger makes everything bulkier and takes up more room. This was a good compromise between size and bulk.

Never felt to closed in, though moving and rolling around was done with some not so subtle finesse and grunting!

I've been thinking along the lines of a self inflating mattress.

Any particular brand dan?

I can vouch for the Exped Synmats, just be aware they come in a few different sizes. They also make a down filled version that insulates a bit better, but they are more expensive and don't like getting wet.

I take one of those on the little bike if trying to keep the weight down, and put it on top of a Luxurylite cot that packs up smaller than the Helinox cot I mentioned earlier.

The Neoair Dream has a layer of memory foam on top of the self inflating mat, so even more comfy again. Packs up to about 4 times the size of the Exped though....

Problem with all these is that i have a double swag. So these better options end up being $300+.

Well, Exped make a 10cm thick double mat called a Megamat Duo but the price will make your eyes water....

Do you and your partner share the swag, and if not is there any reason you can't just use a single mat?

Yeah she does every now and then, so if im going to buy one, ill get a double to cover all scenarios

Have to be careful with self inflating during the colder months as the air in the mattress will match the ground and air temp

My friend bought a Tempur bed and entered their competition to win a home mattress topper and a Tempur travel set, and ummm she won.

http://au.tempur.com/accessories/travel/travel-set-TAU3003M.html?cgid=Travel&start=3

When I go camping now I have a self inflating mattress and put the Tempur travel mattress on top of my inflatable one, it's fantastic, never been so comfy while camping, using both totally insulates you from the cold ground and you get a great nights sleep. No more waking up with sore hips and lower back from dodgy camp mattresses again.

Went to Hill End with Wally69 and we were sleeping in our 4by's and I showed him my mattress setup and he say's "you bastard", lol. :D

These things cost about $600 but are worth every cent in my opinion.

Hi Mate,

Check out the pillow top mattresses from Kulkyne Swags. They are 110mm thick and pack up in the bag pretty well. I'd give you a link, but this is my first post. You can go to kulkyne.com.au to find a picture of them.

Neo__04 said:
Hey all,

Got myself a new double swag, only came with a 50mm matress.
So i got a cheap egg shell foam matress topper but it didnt cut it.
End up with a sore back in the morning.

Seems that some people use a self inflating mat, others get a better quality egg shell foam and others get another
50mm high density matress to go underneath.

So chasing recommendations on what people have done to fix their nights sleep?

Thanks

I have one of these that I put on top of my self inflating camp mattress, last time I went camping with Wally69 I showed him and all he could say was "you bastard" , lol. The camp mattresses always leave you with sore hips in the morning, not with this Tempur topper on top of it though, couldn't get a more comfy bed.

My friend won it.

http://au.tempur.com/accessories/travel/travel-set-TAU3003M.html

My swag has the egg shell type mattress as standard and find all I need is just a thin hiking mat under it to solve the hip digging the ground problem. But ............... at a guess the heavier you are the more your going to need under you without a doubt. No good fitting 6 x 4 trailer springs under a B double :eek:

Latest posts