Minelab X-Terra 505 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJS

Nick
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got my first detector today and gave it a shot at the beach before sundown but I was really unsure of the settings I should be using.

I had the sensitivity around 15 and the threshold around 12 and just left it on the preset 1 and it seemed fine for finding lots of bottlecaps, beer cans and the top of a bong which looked like a bullet tip at first :D.

I did the ground levelling on the dry sand and it seemed fine at about 9-10 or so but then when I went onto the soft sand and tried it again it was going wild and I found nothing at all when I was close to the water but I got a few quick signals from the unit but presume they were just false signals?

Should I just be going on the dry sand with this unit or is it ok to go closer to the water/wet sand?

Wet sand is hard work with a 505, as you can't actually ground balance the salt signal.

You need to use a combination of low sensitivity, keep your coil just off the sand, and put in a bit more discrimination.
The 10.5" round DD in 18.75 kHz I found to be the best performer on the wet sand.

Any advice on if the above is good? AND - can it also be used as a normal detector on land?

well, it isnt a beach detector. Its an all purpose machine, that you can use in turf, and sand. Its the little brother of the xterra 705, which is a good treasure machine. Depending on price, and where you wish to hunt, it will serve you well.

Hi guys,

I recently bought a X Terra 505 for coin shooting during lunch breaks and down time at work and also for the wife to use for relics when we go camping in the Vic gold fields While I use my Makro GR, the standard 9" 7.5 kHz concentric coil is ok I guess and it does what she wants (finding iron trash for the garden) but I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Coiltek 6" Digger DD 3 kHz coil and if so did it make much of a difference to the response on targets?

Also contemplating the Minelab 15" X Terra DD 18.75 kHz for the beach, again anyone with experience on the coil/detector and is it worth doing?

I suppose what I'm trying to achieve is for the 505 to become a good all-round detector for current decimal coins, relics and beach and cope with the different ground conditions by having the best coils to suit those situations but hopefully not throw hundreds of dollars on another 2 coils for little benefit.

For the added cost of the 2 coils I could probably sell the 505 and get a better detector to suit those needs but I already have the 505 and to me it's just my cheap spare detector for mucking around on and can keep it in my work van without the worry of loosing it, that part I do like but I'm hoping a better/different coil will take it up a notch.

My favorite coin shooting coil on the X-terras is the stock coil. It has the perfect blend of depth, pin-pointing and target separation.

My next favorite coil is the 10.5" round 18.75 kHz. This is for more difficult soils and better coverage for big open areas.

The big 15" coils make the X-terras a bit front heavy but some really like them.

Hi I am looking to find out what people think of this unit.

Mainly it is for M2, one of my daughters to hunt for coins and relics, she has been using an ACE 250
with a little success.
I though the 505 would be a little more advanced but not to complicated to use.
I encourage 'dig everything' at her age.

So what can you tell me please?

One of the forum members uses an Ace 250..And would have more Pre decimals and old SILVER coins than anyone i know..So if you dig everything..you may as well keep the ace...Cause the xterra 505 wont be any different than the ace..except maybe the price :Y:

There would be no advantage for her to go from the 250 to the 505.
Once she learns to use the ace to it's full potential then you would want to go a bit better than the 505. You really can't beat learning to detect with a basic three tone machine as you have to understand the sound as well as the tone.

Daggy

Thanks guys, I guess the 505 is around the same as the Ace250 with maybe a couple of coil advantages
and the number reference on screen.
Some minor manual settings.

I have a few girls, miss M2 is 6yrs and no.3, so a cheap 505 wont break the budget for another detector.
And the Ace wont be wasted either

The 505 has been purchased ($250), it was advertised for $350, see how it goes.
But I think of it as another kids adventure toy, with some possible benefits. LOL :)

If its too awkward I should be able to sell it at little loss.

Smokey, I dont tend to sell things off to upgrade.... YET.
LOL

Better to just wear them out..........
;)

I wouldnt sell the ace 250 either mate..whether it be a ace or a 505...if the coil goes over a coin.....its gona make a tone...and as you dig everything .... you cant go wrong with either defector .. :Y: ;) :lol:

PhaseTech said:
For general coin detecting, beep dig, the 505 is hard to beat for the money. Notch, manual GB and good coil selection.

Hi Nenad, a machine that is 2 years old or so, unwanted, so will put it to use as a park, dry sand hunter.
I figure the price was good and it will do the job for the young one. 'Beep dig' - thats about it. :D

Hello all.

Just looking for some opinions on what would be considered the most suitable Coil for hunting a Gold Sovereign.
Obviously, i would think any that are still out there would be deep, so probably the 3khz would be best for depth. But not sure that that frequency would best.
What do you think?

Cheers.

Thanks mate.
Ive already found a few nuggets with my old GT16000 years ago, but would like to find a sovereign before i fall off my perch.
Anyway, i have the coil that you recommended but didn't think it would have the reach.
So I'll give it a try.

Cheers.