WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay thanks! This guy buys and sells metal detectors on Ebay and has 1500 feedbacks of which only 3 were negative so he seems legit.. Sold hundreds of metal detectors so I think I am safe! He seems to restore used ones with new parts or something like that. Not sure how else he can sell brand new ones for that price.

I have looked up the GMT a fair bit and actually found it seemed to go okay finding gold in heavily mineralised soils like iron (I work for an iron mining company so there's lots of it here!) whereas I couldn't exactly see how the Eureka went. This was just watching a bunch of video's however.

Anyway, I think it might be time to buy my first metal detector!

I got mine used $700 & it came with original purchase docket. Still has about 12 months warranty. If he can provide serial number & original proof of purchase $750 new is a good deal.

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how waterproof this machine is and if it tolerates salt water?

The coils are waterproof but the machines are not. Will only handle light rain at best.
Due to its high frequency (48khz) it's not thought of as an ideal beach detector but have read USA forum posts where people use them & find stuff by running them much the same as you would in highly mineralised ground. I would think salt water or wet sand would be hard for them though as they are very sensitive even going off on the salt in your skin/hands. I always need to use a plastic scoop to find small targets as my hands mask the signal/give false signals.

Just had my first swing of the GMT. Loved it. Although I had no luck in finding gold it didn't take me long to start recognizing what sounds were what. I did find it struggle with mineralized soil but among the interference I found small bits of lead. Next time I'm out I'm going to try some of the above suggested settings and see if I missed a small peace of gold or two. However, when it come down to pressing the trigger when I found a target it didn't grunt as often as a thought it would. In the end I read the % meter and if it was 75 or over I left it as many targets that were around that turned out to be iron.

Greg

Gold normaly starts off low and gets lower
As you get closer
Good luck out there
And don't forget to enjoy yourself
As finding gold isn't easy :)

Thanks. If I get to go out most weekends I'm sure I will master it soon. Next weekend I'm going to have an attempt of following the traces of black sand and panning the contents. In the follow the black sand meter, what number should I be looking for? The higher the better right. Are there any tricks anyone might know that can help me out?

One trick I did see for following the black sands is to use the small wire flags (like on "Diggers" etc. that they use to show their find patterns). Where you get your higher reading's on sweeps - stick a flag in. When you've walked/detected a section you can look at where your high readings were & the "path" they follow.

This can help when choosing spots to have a dig/sample but remember that while gold does commonly occur with black sand it isn't always there. The GMT "follow black sand" meter will give you another good indicator which may lead to finding gold but reading the river/creek is probably more important so you detect in the right areas i.e. inside corners, downstream side of rocks etc. were the water can slow & drop gold out into traps. A lot of good wet prospectors can read where this path of heavies will be without a detector but I find it a good tool to use & learn this with.

Around my area high 40's/low 50's is usually a high reading but in some areas I have seen it go up to 60.

The best thing to do with the GMT around creeks etc. is to detect around/in the crevices with the small coil. If you detect a little nugget in the crevices then that would be the spot to clean out & pan the contents down.

Me and my wife have a GMZ,GMT,New SGT and SD2200
The GMT is the Bomb guys last trip 17 little nuggets
A GPX5000 wouldn't get a peep on half of them
The smallest was .02. I have the 4x6
shooter on most the time but the 10x5 is deadly!
Don't give up on the GMT my first took me a whole year
To find and now I learn something new every weekend
Happy digging

Hey guys
I was wondering if anyone on here has used the GMT for relic hunting.
I know it is more for small gold close to the surface but dads found a old military barracks and is getting us access to it so I figured it would be worth a go.
My weapon of choice is my old deepseeker and dads using the GMT because its lite and he's got a stuffed back.
Will the standard 6X10 DD coil be ok or should I consider getting something different?
If the DD is ok I would also like some pointers in settings aswell.
Thanks for your time :)
Greg

Hay Greglz.
One mans junk is another mans relic.
Whenever I use my GMT for gold I get a heap of junk.
Just start with the standard settings and use manual ground balance and push the grab button regularly.
Ignore the The iron ID and just dig everything.

Thanks mate.
Can't wait to get out there. Who knows what we might find. Just got to show the old fella how to use it. Should be interesting :)

Greg

Hey Greg the gmt is a ripper for trash I've picked up quite a good cannonball collection with it some worm down to 2 inches at 1/2 metre your old man will do well

Hi Greg - I found Chinese coins, antique buttons, antique buckles etc. etc. in the course of looking for gold & was only digging what didn't "grunt" so you should get heaps of other relics digging everything with it.

Hi a technical question .

I've just bought a GMT and will be using it in the Kyneton Victoria area which isi high in mineralization. So the setting post on this forum is just what i need to start off. Thanks .

I have done a lot of research like everyone does and watched the whites training video's over and over. So with the preset position for the VSAT at around 3 - 4 and its meant to assist in the recovery of the threshold the HUMmmmm but these post highlight the fact the we should set the VSAT to 10+ that seem strange as the recovery seems to sound just fine at a lower setting.
So of course I will use it at 10 + but just wondering how and why this is happening.

New boy on the Block

ZAK

I'm not sure what's working for everyone else but I turn the SAT speed to 10,gain highest possible around 7-8 and then start backing the SAT speed back before it overloads . Then ground balance , set the theshold. Once you have started detecting you may have to speed up the SAT speed a little . I always hunt in AUTO TRAC and without boost on.
If you can't ground balance start backing off the gain but not below 5
Iv got heaps of 0.02 flakes running these settings my test piece is 0.02 and air tests 1.5"
With 4x6 shooter coil
Just remember some ground isn't ment for VLF detectors but sometimes you only have to work tailings piles or move 20m away and the ground can be alright.
I also check unfilled detector holes and scan as I fill them in and find little surprises !

Thanks Mooroopna
Yes got out the last two days these settings
Are working well.'lots of nails and bots
Plus a heart melting peace of lead that looked so much
like a nugget my heart missed a best a 2 oz beauty:(

I've now clearly learnt what lead looks like it's just the same as
Gold.

The GMT really is easy to use and so much fun.

Can't wait till I hit the gold:)

Chat soon.
Zak

Thanks guys. I think dad wants to use pops old bounty hunter now. I will still take tge gmt in case someone else decides to tag along.
I will make sure I pist anything interesting we find :)

Latest posts