Aux battery controller setup

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BW, I see you have used weather resistant (not proof) sockets there mate. Are you planning to fit that box under the rear bumper?
If so just be careful it can't cop a knock when out wheeling on tough terrain.

BTW I remember you telling me about those marine circuit breakers, perhaps you could post details on that (and any other parts) for anyone else that may like to emulate your control box.

Hi OC,
Whilst designed to be semi-weather proof, the unit will be in-car, but needed to be easily swappable between cars and a caravan.
The circuit Breakers are Blue Sea CLB series from here:
http://www.12volt.com.au/redirect.html?a=/General Htmls/webcat2003/breakers.html
or here:
http://www.outbackmarine.com.au/circuit-breaker-push-button-st-40a
1488487327_blue_sea_clb_circuit_breaker.jpg

The "weather proof" Anderson Flush Mount Cover adapters (Trailer Vision) from here:
australiandirect.com.au/brand/trailer-vision

1488487977_anderson_flush_mount_cover.jpg

The diecast box from Jaycar.

An obvious - Be Careful

Whilst the Diecast box is more rugged and will act as a heatsink for the charger, it IS conductive. Absolute care needs to be given to insulating all + positive wires from the box/lid and when positioning any uninsulated terminals. Probably preaching to the converted here, lol, but.........

Otherwise a very neat setup Bigwave, great job.

BTW the reason I used a plastic box is that my setup is permanently mounted in the rear of the 4by, tucked behind the fridge and away from being damaged. I don't need to move it as I have a separate BCDC in the caravan and solar controller.

And, the reason for this is that I need charging in my 4x4 at the same time as in the van when driving. As these chargers should be as close to the battery they are charging, it's problematic trying to charge 2 batteries 6-7 metres apart with a bigger charger. I also use the 4x4 BCDC without the van hookup

Bigwave's setup and mine show how we all have different requirements :) and therefore different solutions :)

FYI - The Redarc range of chargers are built to NOT need heatsink mounts, however care should be exercised in their mounting location, they can and do get hot especially in summer.

Latest posts