Sapphirine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1380608308_image.jpg

Sapphirine, interesting reading on wiki about it. This was my first piece I found at Ponderosa, near hanging rock. Where you dig in an old river bed that has all but rotted away over time, a clay/sandy loam! It's hard to describe but washes well and does leave some rust stains on ya. My friend got a yellow one which are rarer than the blue/green ones, I tried rubbing a few down on the wheel hoping to cut a cab. But each one has cracks in them and now look like crap, when they could of been worth something as a specimen. They do have a nice finger print/ feather pattern in the layers.
Iv found lots of Zircons there, hence the name 'Zircon valley' but only a few small pieces of sapphire that might cut. I'm still hopeful as iv only put about a 100 buckets through the HB.

Very nice Dezman- I would simply have walked over the top of something like this.

Some Zircons as well, the wax look about them comes from being radioactive! Metamict I think it's called.

That's pretty cool dezman, by the look of it I wouldn't be suprised I sapphires turn up in the aera. Seems to have all the right materials and minerals.

Me too Loamer, I just looked for gold in the pan before. Sure has Newbie with Basalt covering the area it's looking good to produce a few stones just wish the gold and gems were together. Been prospecting around and was told today that I was on a private land and as most white men believe they got here first! I just love to go cross country digging test holes, for I know there is some old river bed full of gems here somewhere.