ABC Shortwave Service - domestic and international

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, when you're out on a cruise in the Pacific out at say Bora Bora it is great to tune the world band radio and listen to news from Australia.
Jaros :party:

Anything that helps remote Australians to stay in contact is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. Particularly when it comes to information about current/pending catastrophic weather events and the like.

Digital and AM radio don't have the range, satellite links are subject to the vagaries of weather and the NBN is proving just as hopeless in the bush as it is for many in the cities. No government should be so miserly as to eliminate the proven, reliable service provided by shortwave radio stations, IMHO.

How much Australian money has been wasted looking for a missing Malaysian airliner in the wrong place? Our own citizens' health and safety must come first.

gef12 said:
As some of you maybe aware the ABC as ceased its Shortwave service early this year .. Nick Xenophon is in the process of passing a bill in Parliament to keep the shortwave service going.
Submissions are required from the public and business arenas to support this Bill.

http://www.aph.gov.au/en/Parliament...g Speeches?BillId=s1055#.WLU1xlgbwjk.facebook

I didn't know that and to think that I worked at several Shortwave stations for quite a while in the early 60's. Sad state of affairs, but I am guessing that there must be little demand for it nowadays and hard to attract the $$ to operate them. One of them, Lyndhurst near Melbourne shut down many years ago and is just a housing suburb now.

Rob P

What Ive read is that the ABC receives an annual budget of $1 B and to operate the Shortwave svc is $1.9M

makes u think

Latest posts