dam it Pics

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is the funnel shaped web they make...not a Sydney funnel web but they say a close cousin.

1488335651_funnweb3.jpg

Brown in the shade of porch roof, much lighter in open sunlight and actually seem to have chartreuse tipped brown hairs. Notice the katydid shape in chartreuse color. It's venom was tested on rabbits which developed open wounds also. I think if you don't touch the bite, some people will not get these wounds. Soon after the bite, a dead spot appears, don't mess with the spot and it will dry up like a scab preventing the spread of venom.

It's been several years, but last winter my mom had to go to a wound clinic. She had developed a tunnel infection, so they kept cleaning it out over a period of a few months, said the length of hole went about 2 inches. Wound doctors believe this started from the old venom which apparently went into her ankle bone.

No, not a Brown Recluse but the bite is usually reported as a Brown Recluse. Experts have studied our area and found no Recluses at all. I'll have to get you some info on the spider, it can live well beyond the Brown Recluse habitat range.

Heatho said:
Nasty bite that one, hope your mum is recovering well.

Brown recluse spider?
She has recovered well enough, the 2nd time was a return of infection last winter, probably from the bite several years ago.

The American name is Hobo Spider, not sure what name other countries use, it is a foreign invasive specie. I know there are 2 varieties of this spider, one the bite is far less toxic...we have the most toxic type here. In recent years, also called Agressive House Spider. There is a website for nasty bite spiders, here is a link.

http://www.badspiderbites.com/hobo-spider/

Hobo Spider Bite

The hobo spider bite is not considered to be fatal, however the spiders venom is strong enough to cause local pain and also to cause tissue death at and near the bite. Because hobo spider bites are often mistaken for the brown recluse spider bite, it is always a good idea to bring in the spider if possible when seeking medical attention, which should be immediately after any spider bite.

The impact of a hobo spider bite is much like the brown recluse spider. Pain might not be associated with the bite, but a small hard area may appear within 30 minutes of the bite.

This bite area will be surrounded by an expanding red welt that can reach 5-15 cm in diameter. Blisters form within 12-48 hours, which eventually crust over the cratered wound. A scab can develop over necrotic tissue that eventually sloughs off. In some cases, tissue loss is so severe that surgical removal of damaged tissue and repair are needed.

The fully developed lesion may reach 3 cm or more in diameter which may take several months to heal and often leave permanent scars.

The occurrence of systemic illness is variable. However, the most common symptom is a severe headache, sometimes occurring within 10 hours (sometimes ~30 minutes) that does not respond to aspirin. The headaches have been compared to migraines and may persist for a week, sometimes accompanied by nausea, weakness, fatigue, temporary loss of memory, and vision impairment.

Wishfull said:
AKA_RedRimmed_Desert said:
Hey Mates! I might as well, post my ugly spider pics too!

Photo of my mothers ankle after a spider bite, size of a quarter and for several months, she almost didn't make it.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4527/1488335417_closeup08_19.jpg

Errggh what sort of spider was it....hope it wasn't a White Tailed spider. Mate if mine got chewed on by one of those years ago and it took 3 or more years to come good
I don't know what other countries call the spider, do know it's bad. They move in to your lawn, set up webs next to flower gardens in the yard, winter move into the house by way of the back door or however can get inside. Most people have heard stories of Brown Recluse bites, often happened to their friends or relatives. The reported Brown Recluse bites in my area always are really from the Hobo Spider.

Thanks for the explanation, yes some spider bites even though not deadly can cause some pretty severe wounds, not very nice at all.

We have another in Australia that may cause these types of ulcerating wounds, the culprit is the "White tail spider".

Heatho said:
Thanks for the explanation, yes some spider bites even though not deadly can cause some pretty severe wounds, not very nice at all.

We have another in Australia that may cause these types of ulcerating wounds, the culprit is the "White tail spider".
I was looking at Whitetail spider pics, found a side view and from that angle you cannot tell whether a Hobo or a Whitetail, both much the same in appearance.

Looks like fun. Ummm you might want to get a new front sprocket guard yours is missing. I got my jeans caught up one day because of that.

Just noticed that it's off on the top picture but still there on the bottom picture. Might need to get the detector going.

Bit of dry blowing hey :p :Y: Nice you guys get a rec rego that has a proper plate :rolleyes: Last time I went to Stockton the rec rego system here is a joke and is day to day with a paper slip, but that's a full MX bike with nothing on it, don't think a year is an option :rolleyes: either full road rego or not :N: NSW the crap state :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is that a mountain upramp I see 8) 100 footer 8) :Y: in the background just left of the right tree in the foreground :eek: :Y:
Or looks are deceiving, seems the bee's need an optometrist :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D Hey wishfull :) yer I always take the sprocket cover off :eek: they clog up with sticky mud ... :lol: I have never caught my jeans ... But I wear riding boots :Y:
Oh yer it is a different bike in pic 1 and pic 2 :lol:
B5MECH :Y: Yer the Rec Reg is Awesome Dude :Y: :Y: about $78 a year there are a few pro,s & con,s ... But well worth it :Y:

Latest posts