Rev-Head Heaven...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all...just a note to inform the rev-heads among us of the Annual Ballarat Swap Meet (next to Ballarat A/port) next weekend of the Fri. 24th & Sat. 25th of Feb from 7:00am - 6:00pm each day. This 2x day event attracts traders & exhibitors from around the State, and the Country....with over 3,000 stalls :eek:

http://www.ballaratswapmeet.com.au/

**(Delete-able if contravenes rules)

Cheers
Gypsy

P.S.,..I am not affiliated to the 'Association' holding the event, nor do i benefit by any means for this post, i am but another 'exhibitor', and have no 'items' for sale. I use these events for my marketing only. ;)

I was going Gypsy but a work mate beat me to it, he already told our GM a few weeks ago and taken a AL day :mad: so now not only i miss out going to the swap meet i got to cover his shift, 16hr day for me and have to work the Saturday as well :mad: :N:

SC75 said:
I was going Gypsy but a work mate beat me to it, he already told our GM a few weeks ago and taken a AL day :mad: so now not only i miss out going to the swap meet i got to cover his shift, 16hr day for me and have to work the Saturday as well :mad: :N:

:D ...Your wallet will love you for BOTH circumstances... ;)

Sorry ya can't get there, should be a hoot.

AF... ;) :Y: ON IT!!!

Looks like we have a few rev-heads on PA... :D

Tomorrow's the first day to peruse over 2500 stalls (allowing for some dbl's) and a plethora of goods available, with Sat looking like the busy one.

Oh well, busy day getting gear packed and ready to head off.

Two days of cars/bikes/food/folks and fun...

Will report back when i'm back from the Meet.

Can't wait myself :D :D ....

Gypsy

EPILOGUE;

Well i'm back from the BSM 2017 and all i can say is WOW!!!! 8)

I was NOT prepared for the sheer size of this thing, and have since heard it is in the 5x of the biggest in Sthn Hem.,...what with modded motor pushies, mini-bikes, powered skateboards and powered High Flyer carts, to wild custom drag alongs, and movement everywhere you look. And that was JUST the SPECTATORS/PUNTERS.

Obviously many there had been before and knew what to expect, and the fastest way to do it. This thing covered ACRES and i estimate it was 2 - 3.5 times bigger than the Bendigo Meet last month!!!!

I had an 'indoor' site last month, and didn't feel i got in front of enough people, should have reversed my strategy...and paid the extra buck$ for the benefit...although i didn't see the 'indoor' #'s yet and hope i can get some more feedback from the organizers once they've done an analysis for themselves.

:8 ..silly me didn't account for the day-long constant bloody wind, this was my first time spending 14+ hrs outside whilst in Ballarat, and it was Thurs/Fri/Sat....you folks who detect around Ballarat have my :Y: ...geez it's enough to give you bowel problems.. :mad:

And a headache.. :(

However, i digress. That place can make you broke realll quick...i felt like a kid in the candy store, and only got to see a very small 'section' not nearly ALL of it (ran out of time)...and plenty of what i call 'exotic', hardly seen, or hard to get goods to be had. Mind you, the colloquialism.."One man's trash,...." was certainly on parade for all to see as well :D

Must be a lot of artsists there looking for inspiration...i can't think what some of that stuff would otherwise be useful for, but strokes for folks, and i am no-one to judge :8

In the end, i had a good time, learnt some crucial issues in my approach, and also met some great folks looking to restore their loved items and heard some great accounts of how they came into possession of their pride...

Was also good to reach out to a few of the traders around me and make some connections,....which is what it was all about in the end.

Will wait 2-3 mnths for an assessment of 'business' value before re-booking, but i can definitely see myself there in one form or another next year, and maybe i will be fortunate to hear from a PA member or two next time as well.

Oh yeah, and a special call-out [G'day] to the IRL gypsy, who made himself know to me...sorry i didn't catch you on Sat. bloke, but your a memorable fella, and i'll catch you round the traps for that 'drink' 'ol mate...good luck to you till then, and try and keep your hands warm in future eh? ;) :p

Anyway, that's a wrap for me for this thread unless directly referenced, but by all means feel free to contribute any info. or feedback you may have if you attended, this year or past, or passing on tales from friends who attended.

Regards
Gypsy

ive gone most years the last 15 or 20...the joints massive, i shoulda piped in earlier and mentioned....Get a bike to view it, salvos, 30 bucks.. sorted. :)

What was the weirdest thing you seen at the swap meet for sale/swap Gypsy ? Not including the people camping :p ...

Thanks for sharing ballarat_gold...i will know to give you an 'oi' for my next visit ;) :Y:

Strange you should ask that particular question...i really didn't get to see much, as i was busy from the time i arrived, till i left, with a few short :8 ...err, ...ablution journey's past stalls during the day without 'stopping' to see more details.. ]:D

I was focused on the 'rare', so the weird didn't really 'register' with me as i was dashing past...and that place is eye candy sensory overload to the uninitiated, even covering a 100 yd dash and return to post... :p :lol: :lol:

Let me get back to you about 'weird' BG...i'm out for a swing shortly, so my mind will have time to 'catch up' and let that side 'soak in', as i was all about the business & work while passing stalls (from my perspective to supply them...).

I'm sure weird is 'in there'..just needs some space to surface. :p

How about you? what's the weirdest you've encountered over all those years of attending?

Good question mate...cheers :Y:

I 2nd that statement ...'one mans trash' ... When i first started going, early 2000's, the place looked like everyones front lawns for council pickup. The Saturday morning with everyone pissed still or hungover severally made it a bit messy but Its cleaned up a fair bit since then.

The weirdest thing ive seen was definitely the campers :p ... The oddest thing i saw someone trying to sell was the roof, including a, b and c pillars, off an old datsun 120y.... Why on earth someone would need one is beyond me.

Lots of cool little things to be found but. Any toys or projects on the go you could find anything and everything to finish them. Its definitely worth the once a year trip/browse.

He he he,...well....you did say for sale or trade lol.... ]:D

Yeah the booze is still an element...i saw stall-holders cracking a tinnie at about 9:00am and continue through the day....

And Fri night was a bit rowdy in some quarters....with many Sat. morning carrying around a hair of the dog as well...

I enjoyed the inventive effort some took to get site holders attn for the parts they wanted...mind you, it also became a firefly to me as well, with me chasing several down the avenue with a flyer lol...

There are some really clever folks out there having fun in their sheds building tow-around's from nondescript articles.

An adventurous few even went to the trouble to dress up in costumes just for the fun of it...

The most amusing observation was just how many were walking around in shorts & thongs, but super rugged up with jumpers/jackets & beanies... lot's of fellas wanting to show off their leg ink...and one or two strutting bare chested as well. Yup, a melting pot of the human condition on show....

lol yeh, some of the 'runabouts' people make to explore the area are amazing. Quite ingenious.

The booze has always been a problem out there. Woulda been early 2000's when one of the campers died from alcohol poisoning. Seems like not much has changed there.

The ones in thongs and shorts were probably showing off there new ink they got with this weeks welfare check....instead of buying jeans and runners.

I'd almost agree with that, 'cept many were 'clean-skins'... :eek:

I guess i'm temp. sensitive and feel both extremes in my bones, just not used to that constant wind...sheesh. :rolleyes:

I wonder how the cops did out of the weekend.... ]:D

I saw one young bloke in a chopped low-rider Nissan ute getting the once over as i was departing, 10 mins later he's belting past me on the highway and soon thereafter out of sight... 8) I wonder how much lighter his pocket was lol.

As a part time rev head im so jealous you blokes got to go to that event,went once when we were in cent vic,thought it was awsome.....
gypsy do you do gold plating?

I do Goldchaser1, & Welcome to PA.

You can check the link in my signature for more info. :Y:

Cheers
Gypsy

thanks had a look gypsy quite impressive but i need a cuppla bits chrome plated also,see you dont do chrome plating,id like the lot done at the same time,whats the difference between electroplating and brushing,i know about dipping dont really know anything about brushing.....

G'day Goldchaser1....thanks for looking :Y:

For 'decorative' finishes around the car body, and internal fittings, i offer a 'Cobalt' (or a Cobalt-Tungsten for harder finish...$$$$) finish which is very close in appearance to chrome, it just doesn't have the hardness of chrome which is needed for bumpers (stone hits), or the carcinogenic characteristics involved in handling the solutions....as a mobile operation, i also don't have the 'ovens' required for baking chrome items as is needed to alleviate 'embrittlement' due to the processes.

Chrome is available in the 'brush' system, but it is an industrial finish, not a 'show' finish.

Latches, key hole surrounds, dash control switches, dial face surrounds etc can all be done in Cobalt and you'd never imagine it wasn't chrome just from glancing at it.

Both systems are 'electroplating', with one system using tank immersion and lower concentrates for metal deposition, while the other is a portable and localized system using higher concentrates, and direct application with a 'mop' covered anode to apply the solution...

The latter originated in immersion shops as a "repair" for poor tank plating, which over 80 yrs has developed into it's own field within the 'coatings & finishes' industry. Each have their limits (though the gaps are closing) and benefits...

'Brush' plating (industry called 'Electro-chemical Metallizing...but what a mouthful eh? lol) has the benefit of having a higher 'bond' strength than traditional plating, in the order of two to three times as much as tank plating does, among others.

Thanks for asking... :D

P.S.....Won't be online for the next week or so, so if you have important queries, i will still be contactable by phone (details in signature link) to assist should you require it. ;) :Y:

Regards
Gypsy

Latest posts