Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do I find where is the main fossicking area? is it signposted? and are there campsites nearby?

Naynay said:
How do I find where is the main fossicking area? is it signposted? and are there campsites nearby?

G'day Naynay

The fossicking area is at the bridge there is also a flat area to camp. There aren't any facilities there so byo everything ;)

There are still stones under the bridge around the boulders ;)

Cheers

Col

It's fine for little one's, there is the usual broken glass blackberries etc. Depending on how little might have to watch them around the creek and there is a vertical bank at one end of the fossicking area. Be mindful too that snakes are starting to wake up and there are a couple of resident red bellies near the bridge. Joe saw a brown the other week so they are about. Best thing I've found is make heaps of racket :D .

Cheers

Col

hahaha. the kids make the racket without being asked. they are 5 and 7, so not so small I'd worry about them rolling down the bank or anything.

how clear is the water running, was thinking of heading out next week for a dig and fish?.
gonna try out my new minibanker, see if it works or what needs to be changed.feel free to tag along if anyone is keen

Hey everyone,

myself and a few mates are heading out to GG Next weekend to try our luck for some sapphires and a little gold.
Any advice from some old hands at that area?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt , havent been there myself YET , but anywhere near the bridge is pretty much the fossicking area & I dont think you can miss it

Cheers Paul

Just be careful after turning into Sapphire Rd, there are a lot of Sheep, Sheep Dogs, cattle, horses and native wildlife usually on the road, just take it slow on that section of road. Watch WalnLiz's sapphire vids, all the techniques are there to apply when you hit the creek. Keep an eye out for Snakes. Have a great time.

Leave some for us. :)

Heatho said:
Just be careful after turning into Sapphire Rd, there are a lot of Sheep, Sheep Dogs, cattle, horses and native wildlife usually on the road, just take it slow on that section of road. Watch WalnLiz's sapphire vids, all the techniques are there to apply when you hit the creek. Keep an eye out for Snakes. Have a great time.

Leave some for us. :)

I was there about a wk ago and there is a fox, a hare and a lizard on the road... they are cute.

btw there are 2 goats at the opposite side of the creek initially then they walked across the creek and continue their business (can see from my other post)

I will come for the trip don't know much but have been there twice now so will help with what I can :)

Thanks for the info guys. Should hopefully be a good trip.
Richo hopefully see you down there mate and don't worry, we don't know much either lol should make the weekend rather interesting haha

just wondering if other rivers have gems and can we get to them seen map stating the area around gg is rich in sapphires dose any one know of other places in the area :)

There's several creeks in the area with sapphires and research is the key. Many are small creeks and on private property so a bit of leg work and diplomacy with the land owners may get you onto these streams.

Most land owners see what happens at the public fossicking area on GG creek, with many "Ferrels" leaving both rubbish and dangerous holes in the creek, with no respect for others. Understandably a lot of access gets denied to strangers because of the actions of a few. :(

Best of luck in the area,

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts