Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for info
Here is what has happened so far.
I have put the original stock coil back on and everything is working great ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
So that tells me that there is something wrong with 15 " coil :( :( :(
So I will contact COILTEK and talk to them (I have no idea how old this coil is, it does not show much in the way of wear)
Thanks for your help :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Try the coil without booster. Big coils push a lot bigger signal into the detector. Some ground will make it go into overload as it cant handle the mineralisation. You might have to turn sensitivity down. Running the coil on 60klhz will be worse. In some areas bigger coils wont go deeper the only real advantage is covering more ground.

I have tried with out the booster and there is no change and tried all settings set at different setting. But I still get the same results :( :( :( :( :(

Try changing location. If you are trying to use coil in built up areas. It could be picking up a lot of Emi from houses,lights etc. I used to test coils for coil manufacturer and found this happened in some areas with some of the bigger coils. I once tested an experimental 24 x12 inch coil for the Minelab Etrac. It was hopeless it sent out a huge signal had to turn machine sensitivity down very low to get it to run smoothly. Pin pointing was hopeless, it was affected badly by Emi and sent out a huge side signal it would pick up my metal scoop being dragged a metre or so behind me.

neddy said:
Try changing location. If you are trying to use coil in built up areas. It could be picking up a lot of Emi from houses,lights etc. I used to test coils for coil manufacturer and found this happened in some areas with some of the bigger coils. I once tested an experimental 24 x12 inch coil for the Minelab Etrac. It was hopeless it sent out a huge signal had to turn machine sensitivity down very low to get it to run smoothly. Pin pointing was hopeless, it was affected badly by Emi and sent out a huge side signal it would pick up my metal scoop being dragged a metre or so behind me.

Thanks for the info Neddy but I thought that maybe that was the problem.
So I went to 2 different parks as well as My front and back yard :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK more on the bad coil storey
I rang the Minelab store in Mitcham( closes store to me ) to see if they could offer any help. :) :)
They were just great, they said bring it in and they would check a few things out (First to if I was stupid and could not get the settings right) :eek: :eek:
So I took my detector and coil into them. They checked out my detector with stock coil, and found every was good, then tried some of their coils on it , everything was OK. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then tried my bodgie coil and Surprise the coil is bad !!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
But the Mitcham store gave great service.
So I say Thanks to the guys at Mitcham !!! :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

The continuing story of the bad coil !!! :| :|
Well I sent the coil back to Coiltek for repair and today I received A E-Mail saying they are going to replace the coil !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I truly did not expect that.
They say they are out stock at the moment but I should have one on the 11 of March :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coiltek What a great company !!!!!

The last month has been interesting so I thought that I would share some of my experiences. The 6" gold seeker was sent back the day after my last post. It is still at Coiltek and I am yet to hear from them, despite an enquiring email sent by me. What to do?
Before Christmas my 10x5" elliptical showed potential by finding lots of shot. It was time to teach it to find gold. I also had some other goals to achieve. My wife has been doing some painting lessons in Heathcote and I have been dropping her off and spending the day detecting. Goal No1. Find gold at Heathcote (this place had only ever yielded trash and an 1835 shilling). Another goal was to find a piece in consecutive outings, as well as more than one piece in an outing. I also though it would be good to find a piece that weighed at least a gram.
When the 6" gold seeker was in operation, I had been slowly working my way along a line of diggings that spans about three kilometres. I chose this as a likely spot because I thought that the old diggers would not persist in this way, if they were not finding anything. I was using my GPS to keep track of my progress and I had also printed a map from Geovic. I marked my progress and finds on the map. After a while a pattern began to emerge in my journal and on my map. The long line of diggings is crossed a few times by a track that then moves away and crosses again further south in more than one spot. I found that once I got a distance of some three or four hundred metres away from the crossings, I would start to pick up some targets and then maybe a small piece of gold. There were other signs that began to emerge also. The VB and Jim Beam cans were obvious signs that these heaps had been detected before. The track is not marked on my maps, so it was a surprise to me when I first encountered it. I had taken the long road on foot all the way down the gully. Each time I encountered the track crossing the gully I found the tell tale signs of detectorists. VB and Jim Beam cans and lots of dig holes. It slowly became obvious (VB and Jim Beam cans) that the people before me knew of the track and at each crossing spent some time detecting in both directions North and South. It explained why I was only finding stuff on a few mullock heaps and occasionally picking up a bit of gold here and there. Thursday 16th Feb. I worked well South of one of the crossings finding little in the way of targets until I picked up two nails and a bit of shot. Then a clear quiet target in the middle of the ring of dirt around a hole. A small piece of gold, 0.053 grams. I thought that this was the start of a run of undetected territory but after a few pieces of shot on the next two or three mullock heaps the piles of dirt were silent again. Unbeknown to me I was in range of another track crossing. Monday 20th Feb. a coolish day with a chance to explore more of the diggings. The day started slowly because I was approaching the next crossing but once past this I started to find some flat bits of metal and the occasional piece of shot. A nice quiet but unmistakeable signal yielded a small nugget of 0.075grams. In a very short distance the heaps were yielding nothing again. Wednesday 22nd Feb, was a trip to Heathcote. On my previous outing I made a fatal error of judgement. I parked the car and walked half a kilometre along some diggings and started. I found shot straight away but I worked my way back to the car and as I did the targets slowly dried up for sure. This day I would start and work away from the car. Through out the morning I slowly accumulated shot over twenty bits. Late in the day I got a signal and thought that it was another bit. But I was pleased when I was down to dust that there was a small piece of Heathcote gold, all 0.016grams of it. I had achieved a few goals. Three bits in three consecutive outings and my first bit of Heathcote gold.
1489068490_hat_trick_and_double.jpg

The three bits on the left are my Hat-trick nuggets from top to bottom 0.016, 0.053, and 0.075grams. The other two are another story. Friday 3rd Mar I had a small window of opportunity to fit in two hours detecting. No time for exploring, I needed somewhere easily accessible. Back on Australia day I had some friends come and stay. While my wife and his went to view an art show, we men went detecting. My friend drives an Xterra 750. We went North along the same run of diggings that I had been following. We found some shot and bits of trash. Well some would say we did a good job or maybe not because on my return to this spot I only dug two targets both gold. One 0.045grams and 0.135 grams. They were on the mullock heaps but not in obvious places. I think that I found them because I had only planned to do the heaps that we did in the morning and I did them carefully without any thought of covering a lot of ground. So only one more objective to go; find a piece that weighs at least one gram. But I wouldn't mind finding an 'ouncer'. So the stock standard 10x5" can find gold. If the 6" coil doesn't come back soon the 10x5" will hit the lead. The score for the 6" coil since January 1st is 6 bits from 14 outings. The old stock standard blue has 5 bits from 10 outings. Wow I have been doing some detecting lately. But quite a few of those outings have been quick two hour stints late in the day. If you're a Eureka user like me and would really like an SDC but can't afford one just persist and work to a plan. My plan was to follow the line of diggings (three kilometres of them) because I believed the old timers would not have continued for such a distance without finding gold. The evidence I found suggested that even modern day prospectors had been there but they did not get it all. My search along the diggings has come to an end. So three kilometre of diggings has produced nine small bits totalling less than a gram but it's given me a lot of fun mapping and solving the puzzle. Now I have to find another spot perhaps branch out and search higher up around the source.

Cheers Bob.

Hi Bob
Sounds like you have worked the gold system and have really got the EG running like Swiss watch 8) :lol: :p ;) :Y: :Y:

To Allways Looking
I don't think that its much to do with the running of the Eureka Gold. Using the 60khz will find some amazingly small targets as long as they are not too deep and you work slowly along. This frequency also responds well to hot rocks which are a pain to say the least, so you need to listen carefully and be patient. I have done a fair bit of research and leg work looking for somewhere others haven't been. I have been lucky to find the odd mullock heap or bit that has been overlooked. My journal and Geovic map tells me I have logged 25 outings this year for about 100 hours detecting. I have followed this particular line of diggings for approximately 3km. Finding bits of gold on ten occasions means there has been quite a few fruitless trips and barren ground in between successes. I enjoy being out in the bush, using my GPS and mapping skills to follow any leads and clues. Returning home with some small shot and bits of metal is just as rewarding as finding a bit of gold. I keep all the shot as it shows that I and the detector are capable and would have found some gold if I covered it. My time on this gully is done so I will have to start doing some more research on new areas which may mean I am in for another long lean period.
I noticed that you got a good quick response from Coiltek on your faulty 15" coil. Did you send it away or did Miner's Den take care of it. I ask this because I rang Miner's Den about my coil and they said they were happy for me to send it straight to Coiltek. Following the dates on your post I estimate that I sent my 6" coil away a week before you. As yet I have heard nothing. Anyway it's no big deal the blue coil is doing okay so far.

Cheers Bob.

Hey Bob, good to see that you're getting a few nuggets. Too bad about the 6" coil though, i hope you get it back soon!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out at all - something keeps getting in the way these days. I guess being a 1 car family and wifey working on weekends doesn't help either.

Regrettably, I've put my EG kit up for sale, along with the 15" and 6" Goldseeker coils that have never been swung in anger yet :(

Anyway, it's in the For Sale section.

Cheers,

AU Fever

Yes Au I saw your post in the wanted to sell and I was going to send you a p.m. but I can do that here. In your current situation I can see that it would be difficult to log up much time in the field. I think that the Eureka is a good machine but as we have talked about many times in this thread before, it takes many hours on the machine to get used to the noises it makes and how it behaves in the field. Back when I first started I know it was better putting a number of sessions together, say once or twice a week. When I didn't get out for a month or two I think I went backwards a bit. I guess it means you'll be retiring from detecting for now and not upgrading. I thought that I was on to something recently as my posts would indicate. I thought that there was the potential for us to have a good day out with a good chance to find some gold but the last kilometre of the diggings I've been following have hardly produced a target let alone gold. Now I start again from scratch somewhere else. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for starting this post. It has given me some contact with other Eureka gold users and the incentive to stick at it despite the lack of success. I was detecting for six months and reading this forum and others before I joined on here. I was starting to think that I had made a mistake buying the Eureka. All the negative replies. The "get rid of it and buy a GPX advice," that was floating around. I've been looking back on journals and it took three and a half years to find my first bit. That would be about 450 hours detecting and digging rubbish most of the time. This year has been a bit of a breakthrough year for me so far. Once again I owe you a big thank you for starting this post. I recently came across a review for the Eureka on a U.S. website and a guy gave the Eureka the thumbs up with a hyper link to this thread saying it was the best piece of information he had found concerning the Eureka.
Your thread has lasted a long time and it is still the best piece of advice for Eureka users. Good luck with the sale and in future ventures.

Cheers Bob.

Bob
I was told by Coiltek that I would receive a new coil sometime after the 11-3-17 as that was when they expected it to be in stock.
So going by that I should be getting it sometime from the 13th onwards
I hope :lol: :lol:
And I sent it directly to them with a letter inside the box explaining what was happening with coil

Always Looking
You got a quick reply though. I haven't heard anything yet. They have had my coil for almost a month and I was just hoping for some feedback. Something along the lines of "We're very busy at the moment and it will be a month before we can assess and check your coil." I would just be happy for some feedback. I was really wanting to know did you post the coil yourself or did Miner's Den do that for you?

Cheers Bob.

Thanks Bob. It actually really kills me not being able to get out there, knowing that I have a great kit that is not getting any use. Especially since I have a couple of brand new coils that I haven't had a chance to get dirty.

One of my other passions is playing the guitar, so selling the EG is going towards funding something that I can play with every day.

But, who knows. The world sometimes works in mysterious ways and if both the gold and the guitar gods are looking over me I can get the best of both worlds. Time will tell...

Cheers,

AU Fever

The Eureka Gold has a very quiet output so yes I would recommend a booster. A B&Z is the best currently on the market for running a GME speaker. You will get mixed results with headphones depending on the headphones used. I strongly recommend you spend some time on buried targets experimenting with threshold, tone and booster volume levels to get a nice boost on the target signal without boosting other noise.

The Detacc BE02 is another good booster.

Cheers, Nenad

After two weeks or more away from detecting till the end of March, I have managed to get back to it in April; three full days, one half day and a two hour session. I was looking for a new spot. Some research turned up an old gold commissioner's report. "The line of diggings from ... is producing good results with good quantities of coarse gold and nuggets to 3 oz. ..........". I was hopeful but the first day produced very few targets and no gold. I changed spots to an un named gully in the afternoon and began finding shot and other targets. I name spots on my geovic map for personal reference so both spots got a name, 3oz. gully and Bullant Flat. April 3rd another full day, continuing with 3oz. Gully for five hours produced no targets not even trash. I moved to Bullant Flat where I was at least finding some targets. The diggings petered out but I could see diggings up near the top of the hill. These were not the organised diggings of a reef, just scattered shallow holes with big chunks of iron stained quartz everywhere. This spot was named Mystery Reef. I began detecting around the first mound and immediately started picking up targets of small shot gun pellets and some match head sized pieces of rust possibly old nail heads. Then a slightly louder target that once recovered looked like another piece of rust. Some spit and a rub and I could see gold. It was late and time to head for home. When I returned to the car I poured a cup of tea from my thermos and some in my scoop to wash the find. Yes I definitely had found some gold. At home using a magnifying glass I was able to confirm that I had a small piece of gold almost entirely encased in a thin layer of iron stained quartz, weight 0.211 grams. Gently squeezing it with the plier part of a multitool turned the quartz to powder leaving a small nugget weighing 0.145 grams. Two gold less outings followed working in 3 oz. Gully and Mystery Reef but at least I was finding targets at Mystery Reef. April 13th my fishing mate who drives an X-terra 705 was staying for a couple of nights and we got out for a two hour session at Mystery Reef. No gold but we found lots of targets in particular lots of lead pellets. While we were out my mate raised an important question. "Where have you been finding the gold? Is it on the top of the mounds, or the sides? My answer was different parts, top, sides everywhere. The very next day was a full day out. I set out to complete the mullocks in 3oz. Gully which meant I had to travel in on a different track. On the first mullock heap next to the track, two targets. One piece of shot and an eyelet from a shoe. No more targets for the next three hundred metres of digger's holes. I searched the piles from top to bottom remembering my mates question.Three Ounce Gully was a total disappointment. Two hours left, no time to call in at Mystery Reef but I would pass the spot that I took my mate on Australia day and I had found some bits there. I would search the edges and sides and flick away any bigger rocks obstructing my sweep. After doing three heaps for two pieces of shot I hit a nice sounding target for one nice shiny piece of gold, 0.115 grams. Perhaps my old spot is not done yet?
I keep hearing "Nobody gets it all." It would seem that I leave plenty behind. So far this year I have found five bits revisiting mullock heaps that I have already detected. Earlier in the year I was using the 6" gold seeker which has been diagnosed as defective or not up to specification. It will be replaced under warranty sometime soon I hope. The blue 10x5" has had its moments also needing some re soldering of the wires at the control box end of the coil lead but it is now winning the nugget race 7/6. It is picking up bits in the areas that I was using the 6" gold seeker. I think that there could be three reasons for this: a) Even though the Goldseeker was finding gold it was prone to frequent noisy outbursts that could easily lead to missed targets. b) My search technique with the small coil sucks. It is a small coil and unless you overlap carefully targets could be missed. c) Maybe I was not searching all parts of the heaps as thoroughly as I thought. Thanks to my fishing mates question which made me think a bit, I was able to pick up a small nugget. I'll now make sure I search all parts of the heaps.
1492609063_specimen_0.211_and_0.115.jpg

The two finds so far for April. Left the Mystery Reef 0.211gram specimen that now weighs a clean 0.145 grams. Right the Good Friday piece weighing 0.115 grams.

Latest posts