Liver of Sulfur

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to perfect the zinc coat and it's all about the set up, think I'm still trying to do too many coins at once :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
Was using citric, lime juice and salt to clean them quick and wiping with metho before plating, the BB's look thick now but I think George sneezed last plating run :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll give the penny one more run then onto a couple of PD's :cool:
1488258457_silverbb_s_001.jpg

1488258458_silverbb_s_002.jpg

The mark near Georges nose likely won't plate, (also a mark near his neck not plating properly?)...it's a sign of contamination on the surface...metho leaves a residue and it looks like the shape of a droplet....might not be the case, but certainly a possibility. Better to use 'white solvent' or GP Thinners imo...

One thought also comes to mind, was George facing towards or away from the cathode?(zinc)

Do you have adjustable power source?

Gypsy

There going through the zinc sulfate boiling way and It was where the strips were touching it, It should come up good next run ;)
I try the electro plating later down the track when AR sets it up, definitely agree thinners would be better :Y:
Still not sure which side plates better I think the too many coins at once confuse the situation
I'm trying to build it up a bit to try and fill the pits so another run will hope fully cover it all nicely :Y:

For dbl sided items to be coated, and you have a drop anode against the outside edge, you need to move the items around from time to time (variable based on heat, volume, current, etc) so each side is exposed to the cathode as much as the other...(if your not already doing it that is... :8 )

TIP;

Also, where the 'pits' are you wish to build up, remove coin from the solution, and 'isolate' the rest of the surrounding surface with an acrylic paint, or borrow the wife's nail polish. Leave only a slight outer edge and at worst this can be polished back for an even surface.

Quantity is a relative issue on it's own...tank platers can drop 25-50-100 hinges for example....again as above, current, volume, temp. etc...but certainly doable.

GypsyGoldAu said:
For dbl sided items to be coated, and you have a drop anode against the outside edge, you need to move the items around from time to time (variable based on heat, volume, current, etc) so each side is exposed to the cathode as much as the other...(if your not already doing it that is... :8 )

Quantity is a relative issue on it's own...tank platers can drop 25-50-100 hinges for example....again as above, current, volume, temp. etc...but certainly doable.
The first ones I did were pulled and turned regularly is probably they were quicker, those were dropped in and left on one side for longer :Y:

Sooo many little tricks GGA, Got it coated good this time and threw the 51 in after for a little and it looked like it cleaned it up better :cool:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: THE GOLDEN PENNY :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :Y: looks like the final heat alloying temp varies the colour of the gold, may alloy it once more to make it more golden :cool: :Y:
1488430769_golden_penny_001.jpg

1488430769_golden_penny_002.jpg

1488430769_golden_penny_003.jpg

1488430770_golden_penny_004.jpg

Looking great B5...i see a cpl places it still hasn't taken, but at a quick glance their coming along nicely for a virgin's work :Y: :p :lol:

Good news for me, been given an opportunity to show my work to a large local antique concern.

Got a small project to do for them which if successful, could lead to a lucrative partnership... :D

Know more next week... :Y: 8)

BTW...did you try and isolate the pits?

Cheers

Thanks GGA, :8 got some issues to sort but learning as it goes, I didn't try to isolate anything yet but think it would have been better if I polished it down each time and replated, that crown is 8) 8) :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: WOW
think I've got to learn the electro side next, that looks like a mint produced one :cool: that would fool anyone in believing it's gold :lol: :lol:
Sounds like the electro is a lot less work than the boil method, love it too cool :cool:
With work like that the Antique guy would be a great source of constant work, sure he'll jump on it :cool:
So with the electro plate what's the coating, does it start with the zinc or just straight brass or is that really gold plate :eek:
Did you do Nightjar's roo, loved it when I saw it :cool:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=259797#p259797

B5MECH said:
Thanks GGA, :8 got some issues to sort but learning as it goes, I didn't try to isolate anything yet but think it would have been better if I polished it down each time and replated,

Your finish will only be as good as the base, so yup, you'd be right in that assumption...having adjustable power also helps. :Y:

that crown is 8) 8) :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: WOW,... think I've got to learn the electro side next, that looks like a mint produced one :cool: that would fool anyone in believing it's gold :lol: :lol:

Yeah i reckon it came out alright...it was only 'cleaned' and plated...no polishing at all. It is actually a Chinese copy of a 38....and the ONLY reason he did it...it is for a coin dealer who wanted some 'oddities' on his bench to hold peoples attention. I also did a Gold plated Babbit ingot and Copper plated a 1966 round SILVER 50c piece :eek:

Sounds like the electro is a lot less work than the boil method, love it too cool :cool:
With work like that the Antique guy would be a great source of constant work, sure he'll jump on it :cool:

Let's hope so....it's a large and popular concern,...so i want to offer him quality he can be proud of. ;)

So with the electro plate what's the coating, does it start with the zinc or just straight brass or is that really gold plate:cool:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=259797#p259797

Yup...$5,000.00 a litre 24K GOLD solution...

No, i am not Digger who did the work, but looks a good job eh?.

Cheers

WHAT :eek: :eek: 5,000.00 a litre :eek: :eek: WOW :eek: :eek: I'm out :8 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loved the roo I've got to find me one of them :lol: :lol: :lol: It will be lost somewhere :rolleyes:
The shine on the coin looks like the mint did it, would be a nice collector :cool: :Y:
What's the other plates you can do silver? could be handy in the antique world

It's possible to do most metals....Silver?, yeah, at about $28-3200 a litre....

Currently i only carry on hand solutions for the work i get as they have a shelf life unfortunately...and as a startup i have limited funds. Starting from scratch to get off benefits takes some doing i can tell you.

The mainstay of the business is industrial in purpose, so the likes of Nickel, Copper, Cobalt etc...as inquiries expand, so will the stock on hand, which has to be kept to minimum in a 'mobile' operation anyway due to availability of space.

Cheers

:eek: ...... :p ......what a great candidate for gold plating lol :p :lol:

Nice ring....did you find it? or was it a gift?

We've been waiting for that RJ ;) Thanks, so how did you achieve that with the manganese dioxide, dip and dry or.....
That looks too cool :cool: always wondered how a florin ring would look like, I've only ever seen US ones :eek: :Y:

GypsyGoldAu said:
It's possible to do most metals....Silver?, yeah, at about $28-3200 a litre....

Currently i only carry on hand solutions for the work i get as they have a shelf life unfortunately...and as a startup i have limited funds. Starting from scratch to get off benefits takes some doing i can tell you.

The mainstay of the business is industrial in purpose, so the likes of Nickel, Copper, Cobalt etc...as inquiries expand, so will the stock on hand, which has to be kept to minimum in a 'mobile' operation anyway due to availability of space.

Cheers
Not a cheap hobby, suprised that the liquid goes off being a base metal :rolleyes: the cobalt plate would be cool, got any pics of that :cool:

That's why it's not a hobby to me, it consumes me lol....i even rudely jumped out of a meeting to pass my info. on to a potential line of revenue... :eek:

He he he... i bet right now your expecting to see a 'blue' finish....am i right?

]:D

Latest posts