"Kato's Treasure Hunts", the Greenhornet's side kick.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gh for Kato again.

She has found two of these sixpence coins one 2 inches below the other in a park land,
then a sixpence and three pence again in a park setting that was very public and detected heavily.

She just loves this stuff.

Any of these years have value?

1487830584_img_0369.jpg

1487830584_img_0370.jpg

Those french coins are an amazing find, wonder what the story is!

I only have one kid (Hannah) that is into detecting and shes the one that got me into it.
So glad she did.

Daggy

Thank you silver, but new to this I am a bit short on the smarts to interpret the information. :(

Coins are a new thing to us, let alone the collection of and value of.

So I still dont know if we should attempt to clean these... or not. :(

Which reminds me I have to pop up those notes I mentioned awhile back too.

Daggy said:
Those french coins are an amazing find, wonder what the story is!

I only have one kid (Hannah) that is into detecting and shes the one that got me into it.
So glad she did.

Daggy

Thank you, I will let Kato know, it has thrown us more so because of the close coin date range in 2x patches so far apart in the park.

I have had detectors for awhile and Kato was about 2yrs when I had her detecting on a beach for foil wrapped 'Ferraro' chocolate balls,
she thought she was finding edible gold nuggets from Captain Feather Swords treasure. She is 12yrs now.
My other girls, M1 and M2 are hot and cold on hunting, but enjoy it when they do.
The 'bin scab' stigma is not there anymore, its more finding history now, a good quiet hobby, Kato wants to go to the USA and UK to find
history too.

I think Daddy Daughter activities are so good for bonding, that trust bond. :Y:

Just use a bit of detergent to loosen the crud, don't scub.
I dug a rarer year sixpence a few weeks ago and was careless because I thought it was more canslaw and put a scratch across the face and turned it from a $193 collectable to a dollars worth of silver.

Daggy

I know what you mean about the dad daughter bonding.

My oldest Kelly, is twelve this year. She was my best fishing mate until she became a girl (hormones) now she wants to sleep in and cant be bothered.
Hannah is my detecting and fishing partner and is nine but swears she will never be "as slack as kelly" but time will tell.
I still have Brock who is five.

Take care
Darren

Daggy said:
I know what you mean about the dad daughter bonding.

My oldest Kelly, is twelve this year. She was my best fishing mate until she became a girl (hormones) now she wants to sleep in and cant be bothered.
Hannah is my detecting and fishing partner and is nine but swears she will never be "as slack as kelly" but time will tell.
I still have Brock who is five.

Take care
Darren

Kato is sitting next to me and laughed about your eldest, Kato is EXACTLY the same now too, except she hounds me to go out hunting metal,
every day and suffer withdrawl so bad that she is forced to hunt the yard over and over again. LOL

I rebury everything found in our yard, just incase the kids want to play, we know where all the money is. :D :lol:

silver said:
I rebury everything found in our yard, just incase the kids want to play, we know where all the money is. :D :lol:

I bought a Roman coin off of Ebay, real or not I dont know, but I thought I would poke it into the ground of the front yard, just to see the response. LOL

Kato here at last.

I have had permission to search an empty 1950's house block

4 buttons from the late 1850's BEST RING EDGE, J.T. Fickling Adelaide, a small black button with the inscription T.G. Brown & Son Adelaide and a thin 2 holed button.

A mystery coin ? Basically a copper, green corroded disc with a hole in the middle of it, likely a coin. Likely where the head of the person was on the coin. Not sure if the coin was Victorian or early 1900's. Most possibly Victorian.

Also found a small button with the inscription The Don Tailor Adelaide in the footpath of my grandparents in front of the next door neighbours house.

For some surface finds a wooden 4 holed button, an old black marble, an 1800's Heinz Ketchup Sauce glass bottle (unfortunately only half because the bottle must have broken at some time in its life. And no top or bottom), an interesting large green quartz crystal, a piece of aged purple glass, some black glass.

Any ideas what these are?

1487930228_img_0276.jpg

1487930228_img_0278.jpg

1487930041_img_0378.jpg

1487930042_img_0380.jpg

1487930042_img_0381.jpg

1487930043_img_0385.jpg

Wow on the slice of agate find 8) :cool: , not sure what the holey copper could be though.
Nice set of buttons too Kato. :Y:

Good range of buttons there...love that old ceramic marble too...they can bring in some $$ if you manage to find a few more and sell as a group. Some are worth more on their own, but are rare to find due to low numbers made...

I think the top two pics are of a 'target'... ;) :p ]:D

Kato here.

Adding to Dad's story, this is what I found while helping the people out. :Y:

Not what we were looking for but still sweet !

A selection of coins found during helping them out and after at the Torrens

1491111917_img_0482.jpg

Two coin spills, one a 1 and 2 dollar spill and the other both 1 dollars

1491111918_img_0483.jpg

A 1938 Commonwealth of Australia Half Penny I found while helping them out

1491111918_img_0484.jpg

A summary of the days finds including surgical scissors, and pliers found at the Torrens

1491111919_img_0485.jpg

G'day Kato

The coin with the hole has been shot! we still shoot coins here as a show of marksmanship.
My oldest daughter, Kelly, put a shot dead centre in a five cent piece at 50 metres last shoot we had.
My mates were a tad envious.
Well done on the finds Kato I wish my girls were as keen.

Take care
Daggy

The other possibility with that holed coin is that it actually might be from a square nail being driven through it. It was a common practice to nail a coin to the front of the house or gate as a good luck charm, most of these that I have found were either King George III or IV in the Adelaide area.

Also nearly all of them have been half pennies so far.

Kato here :)

Some things I found when we went to the park with the family, I was not getting much until I started looking around old gum trees
and away from where most people were.

Does any one know what the bracelet says or what it means?
What it might have been for?
It is very heavy and goldish in colour.

The Pennies are very crusty and one is Australian and the other English.

I also found an enameled button but chipped it when digging, not happy, it looks great, any ideas on that one please?

Dad found 10c and about 30 pull tabs, haha. :p

1493103785_img_0486.jpg

1493103786_img_0490.jpg

1493103786_img_0491.jpg

1493103787_img_0494.jpg

1493103787_img_0500.jpg

Latest posts