AT Pro Finds for 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
Well as I start my ledger for 2017, I know I'm a bit late starting but I've had a bit of a break from the full-on year just past. So here it is, the proceeds of the first hunt for 2017.
$6.26 in spendables and a funny looking medallion. If anyone can help with suggestions regarding its source, I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance and here are the piccies.
1488020541_20170225_184938.jpg
1488020562_20170225_184955.jpg

At least your on the board now mate, and chip money to boot. :D :Y:

Wow thanks folks. Its another interesting "thing" to put in the fines jar. So whether its a religious pendant or a piece of fashion jewelry adds to the mistery

The Medalion -

Religeous, Freemasons, School, Uni ?

Along with the symbolism of the circle, sort of sounds like - as you sow shall you reap, what goes around comes around, etc.

My best guess, doesnt look old, pulled from a neck lanyard maybe.

So were they found using the new big coil if so how are you finding it in comparison to a std coil. I am thinking of getting a big coil just not sure how big to go. Cheers.

Hi Dave. Yes I had the Thunder on as the stock coil died. I had the sensitivity up to about 5, in coils PRO, with the iron reject on 36. The medallion wasn't deep though only down about 4". Surprising really because the coil goes deep. Where I found it was in a local park that doesn't have a lot of historical "fill" in it so earl 1900's coins can be as shallow as 2 or 3".

As far as the Nel Thunder goes, it performs much the same as the stock coil with a few tiny variations in Target ID[from an air test I did earlier]. I must say I am very happy with the coil and will probably get a 5x8 or its equivalent in the future.

1489046860_20170309_173850.jpg

Triple treys and a zac

I have said on this forum in the past that my fave place seems to have given up all its treasures and the last couple of times I've been there it seemed that was the case. But today I was able to turn the thought well and truly around. I went out to a new spot that I've been researching for a while now and had a poke around hoping to find some evidence of really early habitation but only found the usual wire, saddle tack and iron. Its got to be said that I don't have access yet as I've contacted the owners but they haven't yet responded so all I've been able to do is detect the road fringes.
Becoming a little dejected by the lack of good stuff I packed up and went to the spot I've been visiting since 2014, and from which I have retrieved a large number of pre-decimals, from 1879 through to 1959.
There's a natural centre of focus that draws you to one particular area at this spot that's evident the moment you get out of the car and its the spot from which most of the coins have come. So today I thought it was time to think outside the square so I tried to imagine the path large numbers of people might take to get to the entry area of this place, or if the area was larger than I expected, where the spot would be that people might lounge on the ground to eat a picnic. I selected a spot and it was to this place that I centred my search.
I hadn't been going long when I received a really strong signal under the nel and sure enough the sun shone brightly on a lovely KG5 1917 hunk of silver in the form of a sixpence. From there I skirted a number of prickly wattles and coming back to the car, noticed one spot, a small clearing I hadnt checked, so as I did that area, I unearthed a 1944 Sheaf of wheat Threepence. I duly checked the hole doing the mandatory wider swing as well and again I got a really strong signal, another 1944 sheaf of wheat Threepence. As I kicked the soil back into the hole, I made that mandatory swing again and sure enough there was another signal. Carefully scraping away the topsoil, [this signal seemed scratchier somehow] I thought I would have to dig a much bigger hole but there it was, sitting atop the mullock heap another Threepence, this time a 1949 sheaf of wheat.
Just goes to show, whether its coins at an old site or nuggets in the Goldfields, we might have u-beaut technology, but we can never say we got it all. I have thought I'd disclose this place's location, but after today, maybe I'll keep it quiet just a little longer.

Don't give the gravy away Tassie, there's no such thing as done, and there'd be more than that spot, all your local spots'd get hammered, even the ones you aint thort of yet. :p
take a look at this.
notice the 124 guests late at night, well some of them would be looking for some easy scores for sure (loose lips sink ships type deal) ]:D
1489047529_screenshot_2017-03-09-01-40-59.jpg

great score there though Tassie !
8) :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :rainbow: :party:

Hi Silver. Yep I get that mate. It really craps me off that some will just lounge around and wait for the whispers. But hey mate, times haven't changed. That's what caused rushes in the 1800's. I have 3 hot spots for coins and none of them I have taken a single person to. Stuff it why should I. It took me a life time to know about them and coming back to my home to remember from my childhood. Yep, I get what u r saying.........keep swingin'.

I've heard a story of some guy commenting on a gold spot he found, told a guy from another forum and lo and behold the next time he made it to "his" spot it was cleaned out. There's nothing I can say about that because I might just loose it.

All that said in these two post I have been extremely greatful for those who tried to help me when I was goldless and extremely frustrated. To them, and you know who you are, Thanks heaps.

silver said:
Don't give the gravy away Tassie, there's no such thing as done, and there'd be more than that spot, all your local spots'd get hammered, even the ones you aint thort of yet. :p
take a look at this.
notice the 124 guests late at night, well some of them would be looking for some easy scores for sure (loose lips sink ships type deal) ]:D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1489047529_screenshot_2017-03-09-01-40-59.jpg
great score there though Tassie !
8) :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :rainbow: :party:
There is always that many guests on here,there is 198 at the moment.Keep the spot to yourself Tas.

Yep Sandta, happy to pinch others work but not do the reading and leg work. I was surprised talking to someone once when that person admitted they didn't read much. Blimey, cant find out about anything without reading. So made me realise that here was someone who just pinches everyone else's hard earned spots.

Guests just don't realise that navigation within PA is sooooo much easier when you are a member and signed in ! ]:D

Another quick swing tonight after my wife noticed a gathering in a local park. So after they'd gone I ventured into the park. I ended up pulling out a number of decimals.....the $1, the 2x2c, the 6x1c, and a penny 1948 Roo. As I got back to the car I remembered an ancient old hospital that 75yrs ago was the place that my mate was born. Its a place Ive always wanted to swing over so tonight with few people around, I had a quick swing there too. I was disappointed that on the actual site I didn't find anything of any worth but as I was returning to the car I covered the line where the old front fence was located and sure enough out popped a 1940 Threepence, a 1911 Penny and the last penny which as yet I cant get a year. So I had a great time. Till next time................. and here's the piccie.

1489833811_20170318_210007.jpg
These are still to be cleaned.

Latest posts