Hi all, new to metal detecting, Looking for a good spot around Mudgee?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was lucky enough to get a gpx 4500 for Christmas, and are booked in to do a one day training in the gold fields around Mudgee. I am goiong to stay on for 2 extra days with my son who is eight. Trouble is I can't decide where to go gold hunting for the two days? There seems to be a lot of good gold areas close by like Sofala, Windeyer, Hargraves, Stuart Town, Hill End, Ophir, Gulgong... Quite a good list!!!

So if anyone has some good advice for a new Father and son gold hunting team, on where might be a good place to start, we will be very gratefull!

Thanks in advance,
Mark. Nicho.

Welcome to the forum Mark. Nicho.
The 4500 is a deadly detector, getting some training is the way to go and trying to get out with some experienced operators at the start is the quickest way to learn. remember to swing low to the ground and slow to start.

The grass is dry but pretty long in many central west areas at the moment. Hill End, Ophir and Stuart Town have less vegetation and more open spaces for detecting. Hill End and Stuart Town would be my picks. Stuart town common is just east of town on the Mookerawa waters park road.
cheers RDD

I think they usually do the training days out at Hill End Mark. They should be able to let you know at the shop?
If they are doing it out there I'd be inclined to stay there for the extra 2 days to build on the training day seeing as you'll be out there anyway?
RDD's not wrong about the grass in some places. Spots pretty much bare this time last year are now well covered.
There are also tours/training on private property at Windeyer http://www.gold2r.com.au/

Thanks RDD & mbasko,

Can't wait to get out and have a go! I think I'll have a couple of days at Hill End and have a look around Windeyer and Stuart Town on the way home, I've read reports of fairly good sized nuggets at Windeyer, so might plan a trip and some more training in a few months!

Thanks for your help guys, and good luck to you!

I had a look at the training tours on your link, looks like a great idea, and the price seems reasonable for the chance to get some good gold on private land!

Thanks again mbasko!

Mark Nicho said:
I had a look at the training tours on your link, looks like a great idea, and the price seems reasonable for the chance to get some good gold on private land!

Thanks again mbasko!
All Gold is Good Gold :D

Mark Nicho said:
I know dam it! Can't wait to find some. Hopefully we'll have some success around Hill End!
:D Only playing with ya Dude:D
I truly think there is still way more Gold in the ground , Than what has been found already ;)
I hope you do well at Hill End :)
But dont become discouraged if you only find Junk the first couple of trips .
We have all been there :( Stick with it .

Thanks dam it.

Yeah we've had a go around Bingara, found lots of junk! Old horse shoes, bullet cartridges, nails and an old miners pick which was pretty awesome. But it's all treasure to the kids. Have had a quick go on the beach and was surprised at how deep you can find a bottle top!

Not about to give up, I love the thrill of the chase, and love being out in the bush with friends and family!

Hey Old Mate :D
So you found complete Pick .......
I have dug rather deep holes just for the broken tip of a old Pick ....... dam it ........
But that is all part of the hobby ... bloody hard yakka digging :mad:
But I still seem to laugh when its out a the hole and is rusty metal :D

Thanks Jaros, Seems like a great forum with lots of good people willing to help with some great advice!