Built a chook pen - advice and tips on keeping chooks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had chooks once pain in the proverbial so don't have em anymore. Best thing I found with them was all the rodents as it bought in the owls. Loved watching the owls sit in the trees around the pen of a nighttime waiting for a tasty morsel.

If you want cool dude chooks you've gota go buy some sunnies for em :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p
1487848175_4e142bce23174af66f62aacd5a4020dd.jpg

Rose colored chicken glasses for cannibal chooks :eek: :lol: :lol: chicken collectables :cool:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AhVJ04MKHdwECFUQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=IUnotoSYq_jnnM:

Jaros said:
We had about 20chickens and a cuppal Roosters and it was a great learning experience when my father asked me to get a chicken ready for dinner - axe and all.
I still remember the odour in the wash-house putting the chicken in the hot water and pulling out all the feathers.
Jaros :8

My Dad used to take out the non producing chooks. Axe on neck on chopping block. Sory but, then no mater where you were in the yard the headless chooks would chase you around the yard !
Can't blame them I guess.

Wishfull said:
Jaros said:
We had about 20chickens and a cuppal Roosters and it was a great learning experience when my father asked me to get a chicken ready for dinner - axe and all.
I still remember the odour in the wash-house putting the chicken in the hot water and pulling out all the feathers.
Jaros :8

My Dad used to take out the non producing chooks. Axe on neck on chopping block. Sory but, then no mater where you were in the yard the headless chooks would chase you around the yard !
Can't blame them I guess.
Our old neighbour showed me that when I was about 4 or 5, let the first few run, then after that the rest went straight under the clothes basket one by one to stop them running, I remember he said they tasted better if you didn't let them run, but boy oh boy wasn't there a lot of blood on the insideof the clothes basket (they were white chooks too)(well, they were at first).
No asking mum n dad first, just come over and watch this :eek:
the good old days hey ! :lol:

Just remember that chooks dont lay eggs all year round ....They will only lay eggs in the warmer months...and the rest of the time they just eat..shite and sratch your flowers and vegie garden to bits If you let them free roam...As Silver said..only let them out half an hour before dusk..and they will go back to roost before it gets dark then just close the door..If you let them roam all day you will have a nice mess...A young ias brown will lay an egg every day...Then as it gets older maybe 1 every second day....then every 3rd day and so on ..until it becomes what you call a boiler :Y:

Wishful,
I remember in the 60's living in Cronulla, my mate down the road lived in a big old weatherboard place on a double block. The chook run was a section across the breadth of the back yard that included the biggest mulberry tree I've ever seen. Down one side of the yard was a grove of Orange, Lemon and Mandarin trees.

When Mr Mills was going to chop a few chook's heads off the word soon spread among the local kids, and we used to gather to watch, amazed at how far the chooks would run around before expiring.

When that mulberry tree had ripe fruit we used to spend hours climbing it to harvest the mulberries, eating a belly full in the process. Every year our clothes were ruined by the juice.

I don't know whether the mulberries made the chooks taste better!

I eat some sort of chicken at least 5 nights a week...love it....but not those skinny things i got in my chook pen...they just for getting the eggs...i like the hormones in the number 20s chickens form woolies....fryed.......baked.........steamed.........boiled..............roasted.....grilled......flavored.......stirfryed............stuffed........smoked ........crumbed.......dont mater :Y: :Y: :Y: :p :p

Keeping chickens is the greatest thing for youngsters to grasp the cycle of life and all round a good thing to be involved in.
You cannot beat the rich color and flavor of a home grown egg
It is also the greatest way of recycling food waste and the richer and broader range of food stuffs the better the eggs will taste .

I am a meat lover and home grown chicken is worth 5 shop bought ones.
I have close to 5000 animals from chickens , sheep to cows and any home grown meat is 1000% better than shop produce the flavours are through the roof so eating a home raised chicken is a fair suggestion.
Most of these animals would not exsist if they were not used for meat.

I am more than happy to advise anyone on raising animals or even butchering them if anyone needs tips or even a demo.

I would kill to have chooks here but the snakes are too thick on the ground plus bungarras.

Anyone know a sure fire way to keep snakes away?

as a young fella we had chooks lots well at least 12 anyway they had the run of the hole yard during the day however at night we had a very large water tank (with bricks under it to stop it rolling down the hill) on its side and closed in for them at night
it worked and kept the foxes out but the rats and snakes were harder to keep out
so my grandfather (i was adopted as a baby so he is really my father) had a brain storm (brought on by his mate johnnie walker) one day and tied the cattle dog up to the tank with about 12ft of chain to try and keep the rats away
ok you all know where this is going the next doors cat came past
dog chased cat (which they do)
dog run out of lead (did i mention the block of land was called a long sloping acre) so yes the dog and chooks ended up done the bottom of the property
cat sitting on the fence with a grin a mile long
having chooks can be fun for kids and adults alike
go for it and enjoy it as a family

P.S chooks didnt lay for about 6 weeks and the grandfather was in deep *&$% for a few days (had jonnie locked away lol) until my grandmother saw the funny side of it

Heatho said:
DrDuck said:
I think this thread has been over moderated, but that's just my opinion!

Sorry Doc, damned either way for us mods with the way it was going.
Yeah Nah, top job, isle three is clean as a whistle now. :Y:
go the chook run. :p
mines still not finished being made and the chooks are gone, I think the date in the concrete says 2002, so the fifteen year project keeps on keeping on. :lol:

DrDuck said:
I think this thread has been over moderated, but that's just my opinion!

No duck , this is the way of the world now .
People foot stamp ,
1488143758_image.jpg
123 , carry on because you have a opinion the world only works if you follow the masses , ego stroke , and don't challenge any thing , the stark reality is there's two sides to the coin .

The realty of it tho , if you have to justify your existence , is your existence worth justifying .

Mick, would be good if there was a virtual walkthrough type site where you could see both sides of the coin at once, look left and see the problem, look right and see the solution, look forwards and see a bit of both sides to the path type thing, maybe using gifs that show movement, but are modified angularly to look like they are to the side of a path that diminishes in size over distance, but a path you can scroll forwards and backwards through to see more and more gifs as you move along the path, with appropriate wording under the gifs. :D
I'd look at something like that ! :Y:

Latest posts