Metal Detector advice High end over ~ $3000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same boat as me.
After a lot of peering at screens and mumbling, I decided to go with a 4500.
I could get a Z but just could not warrant the cost.
Yes, Having the latest and greatest is by far a high advantage.
I am going to have another look when the second installment of the Z comes out.

Hi guys , well I did buy the gpz and it takes a bit of getting used to i am finding bucket loads of shot in already worked areas , Wife has bought a gpx4500 and is not finding anywhere as much shot but she has walked over gold more often than me, we have both found gold for a total of about 5,5grms so far and like one of the other post i have read we are accumulating lots of lead . I have been going out near talbot mostly , so wondering if we should be looking further north ?
Our reason for going prospecting is we sit all day when working and this should help with fitness and health , wife has said she would like to do it for a living but i wonder if that is possible here in Vic ,maybe mixed with WA visits each year .

I have also puchased a sdc2300 which is heavier to lug around than you think by looking at them , so i made up a bungy strap real quick it also finds lots of shot. i am hoping to use this when there is lots of small gold appearing , but having trouble with the lots mostly lots of lead appearing lol.

cheers Ron

Sounds very similar to me Ronk. Although, you mention that you are going to use the SDC if you find small gold - my experience is that the Z will find gold even smaller than the SDC and at a greater depth. Have tested this a few times and when the SDC is all done the Z finds a few more.

"wife has said she would like to do it for a living but i wonder if that is possible here in Vic ,maybe mixed with WA visits each year ." She sounds like a keeper!! :Y: :Y:

Best of luck.

I'm new to prospecting and looking to but a metal detector. Looking at a Minelab F1A4, Minelab SD2000, White's TDI pro-Oz and a White's GMT. All are second hand and in the range of $650 - $1500.

Not worried about price but which one should I be considering? Any advice gratefully received.

OX how often do you intend to go detecting ,I have detected for many years and would recommend a second hand sd2200d or gp extreme you should be able to get either for around $1500 both these detectors have auto tracking it make it a lot easer to start detecting and you are able to use mono coils on them. If you check back through other post you will find people have tried to start detecting with the wrong choice of detector and have had to spend more money and upgrade regards john :)

Agree with old hand, except for the being able to use Mono coils on the 2200D (except in very mild soils). Best earlier detector to use mono coils was the GP3500. Having the ground balance on the handle and some slower tracking speeds was the ticket. If you are prepared to do a bit of searching around, you may be lucky enough to pick up a 3500 for $1500. That would definitely be the way to go.

That's right Nenad but its easy to add a ground balance button the extreme or 2200 ,a 3500 would be ideal at that price may be very hard to find regards john :)

Ox said:
I'm new to prospecting and looking to but a metal detector. Looking at a Minelab F1A4, Minelab SD2000, White's TDI pro-Oz and a White's GMT. All are second hand and in the range of $650 - $1500.

Not worried about price but which one should I be considering? Any advice gratefully received.

get the newest you can get for the money gpx4500 is a great unit s/h from around $2600 if not that then get the latest minelab you can afford ie gp3500 $1500 but the gpx beat them hands down
cheers ronk

old hand said:
That's right Nenad but its easy to add a ground balance button the extreme or 2200 ,a 3500 would be ideal at that price may be very hard to find regards john :)

2200 had a powerful transmitter, so monos were are handfull in all but the quietest soils. The tracking speed was nice and on the slow side. When the GP's came out DVT helped the ground balance in hotter soils, but the tracking was sped up, as being more sensitive to smaller targets meant they were also more sensitive to ground changes. So monos would run a lot better on the extreme and 3000 but the problem now was the potential of tracking out borderline signals. DD coils running in mono was the best compromise if ground allowed.

Yes, a ground balance switch on the handle is the best mod for an extreme or 3000, and very easy to do, but unfortunately no way of actually reducing the tracking speed. But if you are sticking to DDs (in most hot ground you will have to) then it isn't an issue.

I think a GP with 8" DD, 11" Mono or 12x7" or 14x9"Advantage mono, and a 15" DD would still be a very capable combo. It won't ping SDC gold, but it'll get the chunkier stuff no probs at all.

G'Day all.
Advise needed. We have around $4000 to buy a detector and not too sure the best way to go. I like the 2300 and am favoring that one but what about 2 smaller ones for around the $1500 mark. That would give both the wife and me a machine each. We are total novices but love the idea of fossicking and exploring new places.
Advice welcomed.
Thanks in advance

Dude I would go with the SDC to start with for 2 main reasons
1 The SDC2300 Is a very user friendly Detector to use beginners or long time Diggers :D
2 They hold Incerdable Resale Value and are quite easy to resell if after a while you do like it (I dont think that will happen )
Once you have got an SDC and the Gold starts jumping into your pocket :D
But like you asked : A SDC or 2 cheaper Detectors ( 1 for you 1 for wife)
2 Will get you both on the ground swinging . But IMO start with a SDC and take turns with it and maybe get another SDC
With the $$$ you get from the Gold you find .

Totally agree with daimit on the sdc!
Opinions are opinions... but this is just about as close to being a fact as you can get!
Way2go stuck his in a small crevice I was going, and ping! Sure enough, next pan a small picker came out! Couldn't believe it picked it up so clearly!

Thanks for the replies. I will go with the SDC. Just thought the 2 machines would be an advantage.
Glad you like my little friend. lol He is rather unique

bogwot said:
Thanks for the replies. I will go with the SDC. Just thought the 2 machines would be an advantage.
Glad you like my little friend. lol He is rather unique
I just tried to blow it off my phone screen.lol :8 :8

We have a few detectors but ultimately when my wife and I go prospecting one detector is used between the both of us. I'm digging/raking for her or she for me when she's able 2. We work it as a team. One thing we do not share, is holding the gold!! :eek: somehow she has always got it in her pocket :D :lol:

Latest posts