Built a chook pen - advice and tips on keeping chooks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just finished building a chook pen. My kids had been at me for the last few months to build one, and today I finally finished it.
I'm picking up 5 isa Browns tomorrow and they are about 12 months old and laying. I'll post a few pics when I get around to it.
I've never had chooks before but my in laws have had them for years so I think I've got the basics I need.
I was hoping I could get some advice or tips as to what people do to keep their chooks entertained, keep them happy or even how you like to eat your eggs. Are there certain things they like to eat or not to eat etc?
This is all a new experience for me but I am looking forward to it.

My Dad used to have chooks back in the late 1960's
He used to give them a supplement of coarse shell grit from a beach nearby. It makes the shells harder. Also used to feed them feed wheat ie. reject wheat from farms plus any kitchen scraps. Be aware some councils have regulations regarding chooks and ducks etc.
Also make sure the cage is totaly secure from foxes. We used to have them them dig under and climb over the 6 foot fence we had, they would go in and kill the lot but wouldn't eat any of them.

Let them into the yard about 1/2 hour before they go to roost at night, they will run around and eat all the bugs then put themselves to bed ,..... they'll also shift any mulch from your garden to your lawn, and, if you forget to go shut their pen once they've gone to bed, they'll be $h!t!ng on your back patio as a greeting in the morning. Tell them what food you are giving them too, and listen to them learn to talk over time (probly best from chickens for that). :D They like getting talked to if they are in the yard with you or the kids, they'll hang around for a while, n they'll be happy to be picked up n cuddled by the kids eventually, just teach them to beware of eye safety with beaks kept away from faces, never seen anyone get pecked but all chocks are different, n you never can tell ,.... you can't just go get a new eye. :)

Get used to having rats around. Every house that has chooks etc always has a healthy population of rats.
Look into having a pest controller set up bait stations around the area, don't try and do it yourself, a pestie will put them in the right spots and use correct baits.

A concrete base with a drain plumbed in, is great to keep foxes from digging in and it's also easy to clean, most people don't bother though and end up with a smelly mess.
Sorry to be a downer, but you need to be aware of things like that.

Occasional_panner said:
Get used to having rats around. Every house that has chooks etc always has a healthy population of rats.
Look into having a pest controller set up bait stations around the area, don't try and do it yourself, a pestie will put them in the right spots and use correct baits.

A concrete base with a drain plumbed in, is great to keep foxes from digging in and it's also easy to clean, most people don't bother though and end up with a smelly mess.
Sorry to be a downer, but you need to be aware of things like that.
Yeah, we had the rat family move in, but I put baits in the sheds where the chooks couldn't get to them, no rats now, but no chooks either, and gotta buy eggs these days ,.... all died of old age wondering through the garden in their favorite spots (they had run of the backyard most times when they were older and finished laying), but yeah, havn't seen a rat since ! :D

Chooks, some councils have regs because they can be noisy and neighbours complain, some times its because the foods the chooks are fed attract vermin like mice and rats, some times its because the owners dont clean the chook house often enough and the aroma blows into the neighbours.
Tip - offer a carton of eggs now and then to the neighbours.
DONT get a rooster, the buggers crow constantly.
DO become used to the idea that the kids will adopt a chook each, and you will never end up killing one for the plate without hurting your children, either they are pets or produce.

They will stop laying and what do you do with them after that ?
Normally kill and butcher them on mass and then replace with a whole new set, the old "pecking order" applies in this situation because the older hens will be protective of their environment (potentially against your kids too) and will possibly 'hen peck' the newbies to death. That is cruel, and heartbreaking to kids but just natural.
They can be cannibals too, if a bird dies the others will start to eat it, also if you see broken eggs in a laying box it is likely that you have a bird that is pissed off and will continue to break and eat eggs out of habit, sometimes it is because of a lack of calcium product for their bodies or producing eggs - thats where shell-grit comes in, you can mix it with their food or just easier to scatter a little on the ground now and then, and let them find it.
From the start you need to lay baits for vermin and traps too, you can do this yourself there are lots of advice vids on the YouTube, be careful of baits with children, chooks and other animals,
just one of those things nature does to us.

Just the facts/reality.

Any greens, bugs, scraps, spoilt fruit, grass clippings just spread them in the chook yard they dig and chew through it, weeds too, wheat and chook pellets.
If out in the garden they will scratch out and kill off a vege patch, lawns they will eat some and dig through garden beds, which is sort of good but a pain to keep fixing up.
However the eggs will be wonderful.

They can be extremely tame and tolerant of kids handling, I have provided chooks to our Kindy that despite kids pulling feathers out, were very happy to be picked up by other kids - smart enough to know who was who.
My oldest daughter tamed a chook that rode a skateboard and loved being towed around in a cart, it actually became sad when not seeing her, it would hear the other kids and look for Kato,
luckily it died of old age - not for dinner.

Each bird needs a place to lay - 4 birds = 4 boxes or places to brood minimum

The chooks are at the In-laws, Italian, so nothing is wasted. ;)

We have Indian Runner ducks - dont expect to own a lawn with those guys unless they are penned in, they eat everything, we have no snails or rodents no bugs in the yard, even spiders hide.
But they also eat all vegetable matter and it is tough to keep anything alive :eek:
I have watched two of them stake out a spot where there is a hole under the house, a mouse would come to the front and they would snatch at it, 3 days later they got it and fought over the tiny body, when one finally had control it was just one swallow - awesome.
Oh... the ducks leave lots of 'landmines' everywhere, they are now about 8 yrs old now.
NEVER get any of those fat Muscovy ducks, unless you have plans to eat them !

Chook eggs I love soft boiled and toast soldier for dipping into the yolk, omletes, in fried rice, hard boiled.. almost any way.
Ducks eggs are VERY rich and are so good in cakes.
Enjoy

Our kids had them at the old place. I made a moveable pen and the mesh was rodent proof. I could move the pen around the yard 'coz as said above they will kill the lawn and their poo stinks too.
Don't forget their food will attract mice etc which will in turn attract the snakes.

Dont get me wrong, I think chooks are a great thing to have, but so many people go into it blind and then get a shock,
if you know what is needed and cater/plan for that, life is easier with the birds and family.

My kids have not ever been lied to re: chook or rabbit for dinner.
They know the animals are produce to feed them, still cuddle the bunnies and chooks, just dont adopt them and they have never been cruel to them.

They respect the animals and accept what is on their plate, at least they know where it came from, eggs, drumstick, or cutlet.

Having your own chooks is a good thang ! :Y: ;)

We had about 20chickens and a cuppal Roosters and it was a great learning experience when my father asked me to get a chicken ready for dinner - axe and all.
I still remember the odour in the wash-house putting the chicken in the hot water and pulling out all the feathers.
Jaros :8

My mate had chooks and a real aggressive rooster that kept attacking him and his kids when they came for eggs. He taught them all to sink the boots in whenever it attacked, and they named it: "Sherrin".

Put different colour rings on each chook, stops arguments of who belongs to who.
Chooks will have a pecking order ( excuse pun) so have roosts at different heights, alpha chook will always be on top row, she may tolerate one or two on same level, others she will keep below.
Always have more nesting boxes than chooks, let them choose the ones they want and will tend to use the same one all the time.
I used dustless wood shavings from agr supplier, 1 bale spread about 4" thick in chook house will last several weeks. Make sure remove droppings from below roosts each week.
Chook house should not have ammonia or dusty smell.
Previous contributors all have good ideas.
If you are a very keen gardener, watch out for they will eat most greens you have growing.
Bottom line, a bit of work but good fun and the eggs taste bloody good.

Latest posts