Nokta Impact information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Valued Members:

We are proud to announce the new IMPACT, that has been tested in 5 continents by more than 30 engineers, experts and users!
IMPACT is a 3-frequency device (5kHz/14kHz/20kHz) combining multiple detectors and enabling a unique yet easy-to-use detector experience for new to experienced detectorists.

Impact Features:
12 Search Modes (2 non-motion, 2 all metal, 8 discrimination modes)
Advanced Discrimination & Unmasking Ability
Online Firmware Updates
Optional 2.4 GHz Wireless Headphones
Vibration
LED Flashlight

As well as all the settings users need: Ground Balance with 3 Options (Automatic/Manual /Tracking), Notch Filter, Tone Break, Iron Audio (Fe Vol.),Audio Tone (150Hz-700Hz), iSAT, ,Magnetic Mineralization Indicator, Audio Boost, ID Normalization, Target ID Depth Level, Backlight, Factory Defaults/Save

11000701 IMPACT STANDARD PACKAGE
Includes: Waterproof IM28 - DD Search Coil 28 cm x 18 cm (11'' x 7''), Headphones, 4 x AA Alkaline Batteries, USB Cable

11000702 IMPACT PRO PACKAGE
Includes: Waterproof IM28 - DD Search Coil 28 cm x 18 cm (11'' x 7''), Waterproof IM19 - DD Search Coil 19 cm x 10 cm (7,5'' x 4''), Headphones, Carrying Bag, Protective Covers, Stand,
Extra Lower Shaft, AC & Car Charger, 4 x AA Rechargeable Batteries, USB Cable

Optional Search Coils:
Waterproof IM40 - DD Search Coil
40 cm x 35 cm (15.5'' x 14'')
Waterproof IM24 - DD Search Coil
24cm x 13cm (9.5'' x 5")

We are now taking the pre-orders from dealers and product will start shipping to dealers the 3rd week of March. We will ship the orders to dealers in the order they are received.

Should you have any questions regarding the product, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

nokta-impact.jpg

Did you have a hand in the testing Nenad?? :D

Also, with it being completely 'black', how does the casing material (other models?) withstand being tossed around our hot and dusty fields during summer? I know this would take a few years to present any issues, so perhaps the same material on an earlier model?

GGA

Impact is built like a tank...very robust....its the first thing you notice once you pull it from the box...looks and feels like something from terminator.. Can swing it all day with no weight issues, but is a tad heavier than the other models.
Cabling is run up through the shaft, nice and neat.
Battery compartment improved from older models with the door facing the rear. Crisp clear audio, plenty of programs to chose from...including an AM mode with Disc abilities.
USB upgrade via download.
The 3 frequency user selectable option gives it a nice touch...bit like having 3 different detectors in one.
The fold-up tripodish leg system is a bonus for those working areas of mud, or wet grass..keeping the machine high and dry...and very stable when put down to dig.

More to come.

I'm mainly interested in the 99 tones option, apparently it is very similar if not surpasses fulltones on the XP Deus. The Fisher F75 has a similar tone option, though for me it was a bit of a fail on how it operated compared to the smoothly flowing Deus fulltones.

At least they had no shortage of input from various experienced testers during the development stage, plenty of revisions to get this detector just right for the market. Nothing worse than having a company that dictates what you can or can't have on a new detector, very true that Nokta/Makro listen to what their customers want or expect in a detector. :)

So far the only NOKTA IMPACT Prototype test report worth reading about has been by NASA-Tom! :Y:

Agree with Narrawa's comments, and wish to add a few things.

- The handle is probably the best "feel" handle on any detector I've ever used, and I've used a few :eek: The shape, height, taper and rubbery feel are spot on!

- The balance is superb. Most of the weight is in the back - it really is a joy to swing.

- The all-metal mode is silky smooth much like the Racer 2, but you can run it a bit "twitchy" if you want by dropping the iSAT. The hugely variable Audio tone will suit everyone's hearing preferences. With the 7.5"x4" coil in 20 kHz it is very sensitive to small targets.

- Settings navigation is a little different to the Racer 2. All modes are grouped on the left side, with commonly adjusted settings below, which are accessed with the left red button. If you wish the adjust the extra Expert settings, then you simply press the right red button. Took me a few hunts to get used to it, but after that adjusting things and making changes is fast and simple - no extra menus or scrolling to find things.

- Other features unique to the Impact (over other Nokta and Makro offerings) is a 4-tone Disc mode, 5 kHz frequency, a Static/Non-Motion mode, triangular shafts to minimise flex and keep weight to a minimum, and more....

- The DI99 mode is an interesting one. To a lot of people this will be information overload but it does offer a few advantages. You can easily pick two targets of similar conductivity if they are close to each other, e.g. a 10c and 20c coin. Deep coins give a sort of squeaky type signal, so you can gauge how deep they are. I've played around with pull-tabs, and even on a tab where you are getting a consistent ID of say 32, the audio signal is a bit complex. This depends a little on how deep they are, but if it can help me ignore at least some of them without actually notching them out, then this will be a very welcome bonus. Will obviously need to spend a lot more time with the various modes and see how best to utilize them in different situations.

Some of us didnt get it till very late in the testing stage. Others as yo u can see, had it months ago. I only got to download and install the necessary programs/software update today.

However, i did get out with it when i first got it for that weekend...its just as Tom says...all other models rolled into one, with the ability to combo many different programs with each of the three freq available, thus turning it into a detector for just about any hunting style.
Mine is also just a prototype, not sure what changes will be implemented in the release version.?...internally, it maybe the same.?

From what iv seen thus far, no issues with ground handling using the 11x7 and small elip coil. Battery life i thought was pretty good...three 8hr days using the supplied old issue Virta rechargeable from previous models, and no issues with the wireless headphones...very lightweight and comfortable, with their battery lasting the day as well. Yet, im not a headphone kinda guy, so after the first two days...i left them off..40+deg doesn't make for favorable conditions either....but can see the beauty in them for winter conditions, or for those who like their privacy. No noticeable delay in audio...clean & crisp.

If it be possible to spread the ID numbers between our $2/$1 coins and have normal steel bottle caps show up with "Iron Grunt" someplace else than in the $$ area, now that would be a pleasant improvement.

nesral said:
If it be possible to spread the ID numbers between our $2/$1 coins and have normal steel bottle caps show up with "Iron Grunt" someplace else than in the $$ area, now that would be a pleasant improvement.

$1 and $2 can be the exact same number for all I care, but bottle caps would be nice to get rid of. The thing with bottle caps is that they change as they decompose, so the ID can be anywhere from a solid hit to a random ID to almost an iron grunt

Normalization should hold the numbering system when combo-ed with the three frequencies. Standard should up-scale the numbering system which may allow for better IDing of bottle caps....time will tell as the implementation has only just been released. All going well i should have some info this weekend....temps pending.???

Bottle caps like Nenad says...have a side that decomposes, the other side has a cover/film that can and does in some cases...prevent rusting due to it being the food grade side of the metal. Aluminum caps and pull tabs...another story.

I took the Impact down to the beach to actually find some rusty beer bottle or crown caps. When I got a target that I suspected would be a crown cap, I played around with the different modes. The Gen(D) mode is a threshold based all-metal with Tone ID, and it was the best mode to pick the caps by the audio response. High tone would immediately be interrupted by a low tone, which starts to grunt as you get closer. After the first few, from then on I was calling them but still dug them to see what they were, and I was spot on. All the cleaner hits that I didn't call bottle cap were bits of aluminium, coins, and a badly worn 2c coin.

While the sound is a little different, this reminded me of hunting with the Sov GT in all-metal mode, which I often do if targets seem to be few and far between.

Hi Narrawa, you never seem to disappoint and are always in the thick of things when it comes to Nokta/Makro detectors. It is comforting to have such a friend to us Nokta loyalists. Thank you.
You say that the new Impact suits any hunting style, it is all other models rolled into one, and has no issues with ground balancing using the 11x7 inch coil.That is as much as I have been able to find about what type of detector the Impact is. So it is not just a beach machine or relic machine and may be good for hunting gold nuggets in our goldfields as well. Previously the Gold+ was the best 20 Khz Nokta machine for ground balancing out our difficult ground conditions,and I will be very interested to find out if the Impact has the same ability.

With all Nokta/Makro models thus far, the Auto GB tends to GB a little early in the process...this is not a fault, it works well. However, if you listen carefully to the the detector as your bobbing the coil..(overriding the GB beeps ) you will hear much of the time..not always, the tendency to still be a little out of GB. This is where you use your manual tune capabilities to bring the ground up/down to the null zone. By doing this, you in practice, better equip the machine for a better reading on the TID and in some cases it will be the difference between a low and high tone via the audio.
These are VLF detectors, not PI...nothing for nothing with VLF...if you GB positive/negative...you compromise both readings, and tones. Remember, the ground is a target to a detector...its needs to be nulled...hence the reason for having a ground balance. There is always a trade off if you employ trickery to your methods.??

The impact has the same abilities as the Gold +...19khz is still considered a relic freq, however, over the previous models, its a better option for nugget hunting due to the higher freq and the coils it comes with. The Impact has 20khz, which is just a tad higher than the G+, however, the Impact gives you alot more adjust-ability, and a heap more programs to fiddle with if nugget hunting is your thing.
Its an alrounder...not designed for nugget hunting....but has the ability if push comes to shuv....much the same as all the other models before it except this one has 3 freq at your finger tips.

Nokta/Makro dont make detectors to suit the Australian detectorist...they make them to suit the end user world wide, so when we test them, we think of the overall community...not ourselves. Yet, the Impact has the ability, and it maybe possible to have a program written by Nokta/Makro with user input to his her liking for personal use.??? Just saying.??

Thanks Narrawa for your fast response. Nice to know the Impact has the same abilities as the Gold+ except it is more versatile and the controls are on the front which is very important for me as I stay in Vic,s GT. and the ground can change over a few meters. The only drawback was a report I read from NASA Tom who tested it and said the batteries only lasted 5 to 8 hours on his prototype mainly running in the 5 Khz and DEEP mode,and it crashed when he changed frequency sometimes. And as I will be living on the goldfields for 2 weeks at a time this is a distinct disadvantage unless I can rotate 12 rechargeable s and charge 8 batteries every day on the cigarette lighter.But I will have to hunt around to buy an 8 AA battery charger but so far have not seen one. But it is good to hear from you that your batteries lasted 24 hours and gives me more confidence in the unit. I want a good VLF running on discrimination mode so I don,t have to dig up all the iron and hot rocks,the rest I can live with,and this robust unit seems to fit the bill.Interestingly NASA Tom found out that in medium ground,ie 3-4 bars,all three frequencies found dimes at the same depth, whilst when in low ground, ie 1 bar there was a one inch extra depth using the 5 Khz over the 20. Leads me to think it is mainly targeted for beach and park use. For nuggets I think I will just use it at 14 Khz.

That's a shame the GB is off setting it's self one side or the other, If it is working properly then you should not have to manually override it to get it set right, If you get in rapidly changing conditions then you would have to work overtime to keep it in tune, A machines ability to Auto Ground Balance is one of the most important features and it really needs to be Accurate, That's the same trouble with the F75, Because they rely on the ground grab feature and when you hit the Grab button all it does it update the setting and although it monitors the ground it does not Auto adjust, So you always have to up date it. Lets hope in version 2 they fix that.

oldtimerROB said:
Thanks Narrawa for your fast response. Nice to know the Impact has the same abilities as the Gold+ except it is more versatile and the controls are on the front which is very important for me as I stay in Vic,s GT. and the ground can change over a few meters. The only drawback was a report I read from NASA Tom who tested it and said the batteries only lasted 5 to 8 hours on his prototype mainly running in the 5 Khz and DEEP mode,and it crashed when he changed frequency sometimes. And as I will be living on the goldfields for 2 weeks at a time this is a distinct disadvantage unless I can rotate 12 rechargeable s and charge 8 batteries every day on the cigarette lighter.But I will have to hunt around to buy an 8 AA battery charger but so far have not seen one. But it is good to hear from you that your batteries lasted 24 hours and gives me more confidence in the unit. I want a good VLF running on discrimination mode so I don,t have to dig up all the iron and hot rocks,the rest I can live with,and this robust unit seems to fit the bill.Interestingly NASA Tom found out that in medium ground,ie 3-4 bars,all three frequencies found dimes at the same depth, whilst when in low ground, ie 1 bar there was a one inch extra depth using the 5 Khz over the 20. Leads me to think it is mainly targeted for beach and park use. For nuggets I think I will just use it at 14 Khz.
Lots of variables when it comes to battery life:
  • Volume Level[/*]
  • Speaker or Headphone Use[/*]
  • How many targets are you going over[/*]
  • Are you in a threshold mode or silent mode[/*]

But most of all quality of batteries being used. For anyone who gets out once a week or more, then rechargeables are a must, and you save a lot of money in the long run. I have the AccuManager 8 Charger http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/accumanager-8/ and the one that does everything: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332140516731?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The Impact Pro Pack includes a set of rechargeables with a 4-bank charger.

Nenad

Ridge Runner said:
That's a shame the GB is off setting it's self one side or the other, If it is working properly then you should not have to manually override it to get it set right, If you get in rapidly changing conditions then you would have to work overtime to keep it in tune, A machines ability to Auto Ground Balance is one of the most important features and it really needs to be Accurate, That's the same trouble with the F75, Because they rely on the ground grab feature and when you hit the Grab button all it does it update the setting and although it monitors the ground it does not Auto adjust, So you always have to up date it. Lets hope in version 2 they fix that.

I was mostly pointing out how to get a better GB if your a penny pincher for performance...most VLFs will have some form of tracking...use that if it worries you.
I did the same thing with my F19 and GMT.

oldtimerROB,
Im a big fan of the DEEP program, and have been ever since it was programmed into the earlier versions of the Gold Racer for testing. Having it on the Impact with all the other functions just makes the detector a lot more versatile...and the real beauty is...the detector is not overly complicated to use.
NASA Tom may have had one of the very first prototypes,??....im not seeing the battery issue he saw...but i have one of the last versions...perhaps some hardware differences.?
Like Nenad points out...good quality rechargeable are the go. :Y:

Cant wait for the weather to cool a little more so i can get out more often.

Latest posts