Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone out there got a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform?
What do you think of it?
Seems to me it would be a good choice to leave on all the time. When not loaded up with kit I'm thinking wind resistance and noise would be low, and probably better than any other full roof rack. Any feedback?
Obviously when loaded up wind resistance will guzzle fuel and be noisy like any other loaded rough rack.
Thinking about getting one, but pretty expensive, as are all the accessories.
Cheers

I've got one on my Subaru Fossicker, I mean Forester and it's brilliant. Not particularly cheap but the amount of accessories you can get to attach stuff to it is far better than any other brand I could find.

I put a couple of extra cross bars on mine so I could mount the roof box. The jerry can holder, awning brackets and LED light bar brackets all come from Rhino. Since that photo was taken I've added a length of 100mm conduit that mounts with Rhino clamps and has a locking end cap, have also put a couple of Quick Fist shovel holder clamps on top of the awning brackets.

1487710844_img_1937.jpg

Rhino stuff is always pleasing to the eye and strong enough to way surpass what you should have loaded above your head ;)
The only down side to Rhino gear is their prices as you have already mentioned :N:

The limiting factor here is the roof loading on the Jeep is pretty light. It's 68kg for the Grand Cherokee and with the rack weight, you may be limited to around to 60kg which isn't much. Gobi and Rocky Road make heavier duty units, but these require modified roof rails for distributed loading.
Add to that the fact that Rhino Racks state that you should halve the load for off-road use, and you can't put much up there at all - maybe a spare tyre plus awning/shovel.
I have the Pioneer Platform, and the noise is minimal - particularly with sun-roof closed.

Thanks fellas.
According to the Rhino Rack website for my Jeep Cherokee the platform comes with rail mounts which fit to the rails and platform, no cross bars needed, and is rated at 75kg. Should be adequate for what I'll carry up top.

Great kit bundyjd. Great to hear you find it brilliant. Will see if I can find the bucks to get one.

Cheers all

Hi Dignit,

Also have one in mind Rhino recently released a short back version that I'm Interested in because it doesn't sit over the top of your sunroof, Was thinking small and simple just for the shovel, pick and some camp spot lights on the rear.

Cheers
John

Latest posts