Garrett AT Pro - Nel Thunder Coil has arrived.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
WoooHoooooooo!!!!!!! The new Nel Thunder has arrived to my door. [$274 from Ukraine, 14.5"x10.5"]
Its only been here 3Hrs and already I've done an air test with a number of coins [attached photo] and had a swing in the park across the road.
Now to get down to some serious swinging. I located a new spot some weeks ago and after getting through reams of research, the new coil arriving, NOW I am ready to hit said location. All I need is to get out there and do it. Keep ya posted ! Some of you will recognise some of the coins and objects I used for the air test. Seems I'm going to have to get used to digging bigger holes too.
1487557715_20170220_105707.jpg

Administrators: I inserted the photo and its turned sideways. Sorry. Don't know why. TD

NEL make some great quality coils, will be interested to hear your experiences with the Thunder. I've got the NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, and both work well for their specific applications. :)

So GP hows big are the 2 you have. The thunder seems a bit big for trashy areas. Might have to get a smaller one too to complement the range i have. 14.5x10.5 and 8x5, plus the little 4" garret sniper.

Tassie Daz said:
WoooHoooooooo!!!!!!! The new Nel Thunder has arrived to my door. [$274 from Ukraine, 14.5"x10.5"]
Its only been here 3Hrs and already I've done an air test with a number of coins [attached photo] and had a swing in the park across the road.
Now to get down to some serious swinging. I located a new spot some weeks ago and after getting through reams of research, the new coil arriving, NOW I am ready to hit said location. All I need is to get out there and do it. Keep ya posted ! Some of you will recognise some of the coins and objects I used for the air test. Seems I'm going to have to get used to digging bigger holes too.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/334/1487557715_20170220_105707.jpg

Administrators: I inserted the photo and its turned sideways. Sorry. Don't know why. TD
Admin: It's great excersize for the head!! :Y:

Tassie Daz said:
So GP hows big are the 2 you have. The thunder seems a bit big for trashy areas. Might have to get a smaller one too to complement the range i have. 14.5x10.5 and 8x5, plus the little 4" garret sniper.

The Sharpshooter is good for junky or iron infested ground, so good for picking out small targets on relic sites, or for crappy ground when detecting for coins. For a small coil it certainly gets decent depth, or at least on the Fisher F75 it does - probably the equivalent of your 8x5 coil. Got my first ever florin using the Tesoro Vaquero and Sharpshooter coil, and that definitely wasn't a shallow target. The Hunter is a mid sized coil, that is currently fitted to the Teknetics G2 for greater ground coverage and a tad more depth over the stock coil.

Judging by what you already have in the way of Garrett coils, I would think that you have most bases covered. The 4" Garrett Sniper coil was a favourite of mine on the Ace 250, it was excellent for cleaning out tot lots when coins were hard up against play equipment or fence lines. :)

Hey GP, that's a great idea about the 4" in tot lots. Hadnt thought of that. I said I have an 8x5, in truth it belongs to the lad but I can get access to it. I'll be ok until he moves away.......if he ever does.

I have a place in mind for the Nel. It will be a huge area to cover that will need lots of visits but a little 8x5 is just way too small. If I could get a 40"x20" pull along that might be the go........but they dont make em for the Garrett.........O well!

Only jokin'.

The big coils are great for gridding up open areas for the odd target, especially on older sites where the targets might be on the threshold of being a little too deep for the stock coil to confidently identify them. The main downsides are weight/fatigue and greater exposure to EMI sources.

When using the garrett sniper, just wind your sensitivity back and you will find that you can get hard up against metal play equipment with no ill effect. Sometimes I would the pinpoint mode to try and pick out individual targets next to larger metal targets, often these were goldies that others overlooked using larger coils. :)

Comparison Target Ids for Garrett AT Pro with Nel Thunder and standard coil
Iron Reject 35, Sensitivity 6, Pro Coins

Nel Thunder Standard

Coin [Dec] Target ID H-M-L Target ID
1 77 H 80-85
2 78-79 H 80-85
5 47-50 M 46-50
10 52 M 51-60
20 55-60 M 61-65
50 62-66 M 61-65
$1.00 75-76 H 71-80
$2.00 72-73 M 71-80

Coin [Predec]
1/2p Roo 75-76 H 71-80
1/2p KG5 72-73 M 71-80
1p Roo 84 H 80-85
1p KG5 76 H 76
1p Brit 78-79 H 71-80
3pBun Head72-73 M 77-78
3p KG 77 H 77
3p Sheaf
of Wheat 76-77 H 77-78
6p KG5 70-71 M 80-85
1S KG5 84 H 80-85
1S Ram 75-76 H 82
2S 82-83 H 80-85
Gold ring
9crt 63-64 M 38-50
Triple
interlocked
Silver ring 91-92 H N/a

This is a comparison of the Nel and the standard Garrett coil on the AT Pro. There are a few minor differences and a couple of real changes. See 9crt ring, 1s Ram, 1c 2c