Cleaning the florrie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,... a bit of 'light' handling and hand oil transfer, may just buff it up some, and isolate the 'atmosphere' a little, before 'storing' :D

I had one of the 92.5 in the LJ for 3 Days Silver...And it came out black like that one ...2mins in the electrolesses...Then a quick rub with bicarb...And it looks as new as the day it was made :Y:

About to run short on internet, I'll take the photo's but may not be able to post them up until tommorow. :D
cheers without beers
Silver.

Here's the before, during, and after for the last three coins
1908 3d
before
1487671179_20170217_190942.jpg

during (after the CAB)
1487671315_20170220_194215.jpg

after the LJ and final ph rinse
1487671368_20170221_194701.jpg

1926 3d
before
1487671857_20170217_191010.jpg

During (after around 3days in LJ)
Just in keeping with time for the previous 2 coins.
1487671991_20170220_194344.jpg

after 4 days total in LJ(and the ph rinse)
1487672035_20170221_194815.jpg

GypsyGoldAu said:
Well,... a bit of 'light' handling and hand oil transfer, may just buff it up some, and isolate the 'atmosphere' a little, before 'storing' :D
Might have to pass em around the crew. ;)

B5MECH said:
The 50's came up nice but the 925 look like there struggling :eek: sort of getting there have you tried finger rubbing them?
Yep, gave em a good thumb rubbing at their photo shoots each time, so the 1926 got a lot more than the 1908, but the idea there was to see the difference between the three day soak in CAB first before 12-24 hrs in LJ ,... as opposed to LJ all the way through with regular thumb rubbing.
I recon the 1908 would still have needed an additional 3 days worth of LJ and thumb rubbing to end up like the 1926 myself ,.... I see the 50%ers responded well both ways, and the one in CAB would have responded favourably even if it had been removed earlier, just by seeing the halo (liquid colour change) develop. :D

silver said:
GypsyGoldAu said:
You can't give too many away silver :eek: how will we make bullets when the vampire apocalypse comes :eek: and there's no garlic left in the stores and holy water in the churches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B5MECH said:
silver said:
GypsyGoldAu said:
You can't give too many away silver :eek: how will we make bullets when the vampire apocalypse comes :eek: and there's no garlic left in the stores and holy water in the churches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I'll just pass em around my crew in the loungeroom then ]:D

silver said:
B5MECH said:
The 50's came up nice but the 925 look like there struggling :eek: sort of getting there have you tried finger rubbing them?
Yep, gave em a good thumb rubbing at their photo shoots each time, so the 1926 got a lot more than the 1908, but the idea there was to see the difference between the three day soak in CAB first before 12-24 hrs in LJ ,... as opposed to LJ all the way through with regular thumb rubbing.
I recon the 1908 would still have needed an additional 3 days worth of LJ and thumb rubbing to end up like the 1926 myself ,.... I see the 50%ers responded well both ways, and the one in CAB would have responded favourably even if it had been removed earlier, just by seeing the halo (liquid colour change) develop. :D

I wonder if anyone has tried warming the solution to accelerate the action of the acids being used ?

You guys do a great job on cleaning the coins with care, so far I have clean a few low value but no silver yet,
maybe I think I will be too brutal on them at this point.
Need to learn more and have some damaged ones to trial I think. (did they have lawn mowers in 1930's-40's?)

Yep...I didnt see any change from hot to cold...With the LJ...If it was a rare coin i wouldnt clean it anyway...But all the silvers that i have found so far get electricuted...And that seems to clean the toughest grime off in a minute or two....Other coins...copper ect...get dipped in Vaseline for 3 days...Then scraped clean with tooth picks and brushed with a tooth brush...Rinse and repeat..untill desired finish...Then wiped with vaso ...then pat dry..and admire :Y: :lol: :lol:

Smoky, is there a thread explaining how to 'set up' the electrolysis process?
Maybe a DIY ?
or could you PM me some info and pics?

Maybe a link to a YouTube.

I would like to set up for Kato and do have the skills to do it, just need to know what works,
I'm not trying to be lazy and I am researching.
I just believe in 'if it works,' do that.

Greenhornet_au said:
Smoky, is there a thread explaining how to 'set up' the electrolysis process?
Maybe a DIY ?
or could you PM me some info and pics?

Maybe a link to a YouTube.

I would like to set up for Kato and do have the skills to do it, just need to know what works,
I'm not trying to be lazy and I am researching.
I just believe in 'if it works,' do that.
Pm Sent mate :Y:

Greenhornet_au said:
silver said:
B5MECH said:

I wonder if anyone has tried warming the solution to accelerate the action of the acids being used ?

You guys do a great job on cleaning the coins with care, so far I have clean a few low value but no silver yet,
maybe I think I will be too brutal on them at this point.
Need to learn more and have some damaged ones to trial I think. (did they have lawn mowers in 1930's-40's?)
I ain't run a hot batch Gh ,.... n motorised mowers started in 1921
1487742874_atco-std.jpg

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/aboutmowers/history
:D
so chances of mower struck silvers are there :D

Latest posts