QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Eski, i had thought 14.4 even regulated to 10v was way too high, and why i imagined there were only 6x batteries in the pack...cheers

GGA

Gef12 has a great battery set up on his QED.
Not sure exactly how he has done it, but much neater and can be charged in the box.

One thing I found last trip, is you really need to be careful when scrolling the menu to make changes, its easy, but be slow and sure with each setting.

1. Is ground balance on the menu. So you select 1, adjust the g/b slowly and deliberately. Taking note of the tone, rising pitch, lower with the arrow down, dropping pitch the opposite, easy as, then hit the diamond button below to confirm before selecting the item for adjusting.

Select 2, for the bias, adjust and confirm. You MUST be sure it is saved before you select your next item, I thought I was adjusting the volume at one stage, but was actually adjusting the bias again! Need to be careful, I'm sure it will become 2nd nature in no time.

I'll be away for a week or so, so I won't add any info until I get out again.

Some one else is welcome to add info here though, go for it.

:D ... so besides adapting to settings davent, did you manage to stumble over some finds?

Understand if you prefer not to share. ;)

GGA

Well didnt hear Dave shouting with joy ... probably found as much as me .. BB shot ,, lead bullets.. cartridges .. ..and the tiniest of bits of wire in a scraped patch
which makes u wonder .. every now and then the odd spike comming thru from distant storms ..nothing to worry about. Also adjust the bias on odd occasion as this controls a sensitive device .so will fluctuate... so only adjusting 1 or 2 either side of your set figure. Other than that machine ran smooth and quiet .

Just wondering if you buy only the control box does it come with warrantee. If you rigged up a non standard battery system and the unit packed up you could leave yourself wide open. A lot of manufacturers will do anything to get out of warranty claims.

davent said:
Found a hilux at about 12" and a troopy at 18" plus!
Hard digging, and needed extra help to get them out!

Tons of weight, and a 3 hour wait!

I'm guessing the extra help would have been a Jeep :lol:

Nice work Dave!!!!!!!

The silence is deafening from the QED knockers that I have been reading on here!!!!!

Nice video work as well!!

Cheers mate good work.

RS

Can you explain why you run the threshold so low that it sounds like there is no threshold.

What happens if you crank the threshold up.

G.B. said:
Can you explain why you run the threshold so low that it sounds like there is no threshold.

What happens if you crank the threshold up.
Has it got a threshold adjustment? I thought I'd seen it's adjusted by volume & the bias. Seems to be dictated by a few factors?

Yes has a threshold and is called Bias and the Volume can also assist with finer adjustment if required.
The bias is as described as a balance beam .. in the centre is the null zone or dead zone as described and down is towards low tc targets and up is towards high tc targets ... if searching for small targets go down or if searching for large targets move higher ..
It is unlike other metal detector thresholds ..so is a new learning curve for most

So without all the razzle dazzle and in plain english why do you have to run the threshold so low.

Also what would happen if you raised the threshold level to a louder threshold that could be clearly heard or would that cause the detector to become unstable due to excessive emi or ground noise.

In general threshold should be at the level that the audio is just heard.... enough so that the faint target signals can pop its head thru .. this is on most machines ..

1487928372_img_20170224_185534.jpg
I. Z gold, not QED unfortunately.

'll have a go at the threshold. As I had some trouble today.
Managed to ground balance on some really hot ground, read 150 on the screen.
Then went through the normal bias procedure, scrolled up until I got a low pitch, taking note of the number, then scrolled down until I got a high pitch signal, again taking notice of the numbers. The null should be about half way, and like the other day, was around 56 on the bias. I was looking for (hoping for big targets)
That's when I adjusted the volume. Had a wobbly threshold. And it worse, had false targets as well.
Sent a message to Howard, the builder, and he recommended I stay in the null 56 and adjust the volume up, and use that as the threshold.
That did the trick, and I was on my way to pockets full of tacks,bullets,tin and wire! No gold. But, neither did my mate with his Z, which handled the ground pretty well on diff/ high y.
Later on, we moved to another spot, with more civilized, but still pretty hot ground. 140 on the GB.
Went back to the bias procedure, and managed a fairly steady threshold. Also played around and upped the gain a notch, turned the volume from 70 back to 30. Didn't like the sound of the threshold, so adjusted the pitch. Went from 25 to 28. Opps, odd to even,= inverted, no worries, but instead of getting an inverted signal on the target, I was getting blanks....silence.
Probably because the volume was down. I dug a blank , and got a good signal when it was "out". When I was trying to get it into the scoop, I lost the bloody thing, found it and lost it again. Whatever it was, was small!
Big learning curve today. Frustrating at times. Still, took me a while to get my head around my GPX. still learning that as well, 1 year on.
My mate and his Z.......3 bits to my nil! As usual.

Latest posts