Cleaning the florrie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am led back to my marinade and sauce theory now it has been brought up again.

No time to test it but, they are usually laden with.... tomato acids or CA from fruits so may really do the job but take time,
tinned tomato sauce (for pasta) or juice too, probably best bets.

I think it would would be great to find a 'paste' to do the job that would simply rinse off with water, or a gel block you could push the coins into
and have them chemically stripped of all the rubbish without base metal damage.

All for one, one for all guys.

And, these idea's have been around for many years, since before our grandparents, so I would not be surprised that everything was discussed long ago.

Smoky bandit said:
Lemon juice mate..i just used the yellow bottle from woolworths...24hrs and they just wiped clean with the thumb :Y:

Check the label for 'contents', you will likely find it is mainly CA as the 'real' juice would go off on the shelf.
What it important is the solution mix by percentages of volume.

I thought you had used real LJ.

Greenhornet_au said:
silver said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Hi guys, hey Silver I thought I had suggested the LJ when I asked about the CAB process.

Interesting comparison there, and 'pressing' into BiCarb, VERY interesting - the search continues .......

My tumbler had a contamination issue so I have not used it for awhile, fixed now so I will try some
Dec coins in it for a clean soon.

Used CT18 for the decontamination - awesome job.
Sorry Gh, I'll have to look that up now ,.... but Smokey did go through the process independently, and went on to discover it worked for him, appologies that my mind doesn't stretch too far Gh when it comes to bringing forward tangible memories for the moment at hand ,.... let's find the post where you suggest LJ and link to it from here, would be on my "Todays hunt results" thread ,.... first to find it and place the link on here properly will get a blackened 50% silver 6d worthy of trying in LJ to clean up, one that wouldn't respond any other way, and I'll pay the postage too ! ;)
well, I bet this won't take long (I can think of a few short cuts, but I won't say) :lol:
I could be incorrect about it being on my thread too. :eek: 8) :party:

Guys its all cool, and I'm not being funny about it, as what benefits one, benefits all as far as I am concerned.

The CA I use is far more concentrated (Industrial Grade) than the Coles bought stuff, so a milder form is LJ, but LJ is stronger that the store bought CA.
Other alternatives - Lime Juice, Orange Juice (acidic variety), Mandarins, Grapefruit, Tomato Juice - Citrus fruits that are acidic to your tongue, may all work with silver coins.

Silver, PM me some postal details and I will happily send you a sample of the Industrial CA to trial if you wish.
You to Smokey.

Or for that matter anyone. :)

It was in a PM Silver, me in response to your answer re CAB - 22 January 2017 09:42 am

Ohh is that all it is, Citric Acid, I have about 10kg of it, I use it for brass case tumbling in my shooting interests.
About a tea spoon into 4L of warm water with a squirt of dish liquid detergent, tumble in pins for about an hour, water rinse, and then metho rinse, air dry.

Bought 120kg bulk and passed it on at a lot less than Supermarket costs to others on another forum.

Have not used it on silver coins, but on other metals it can be brutal.

As you would know a milder form is just lemon juice.

Will read a lot more on the techniques used with it

However I just fixed an issue with my tumbler and found that an industrial cleaner may work too, I will trial some before
I post anymore on that front ;)
(HA), that's why I couldn't find it in a search Gh, I new someone would find it somewhere, mate, ain't it great you could pluck that out of almost nowhere (ha), looks like I better post you a 6d as well as Dan on behalf of B5 ,..... and yes ,... all for one, and one for all ! ;) :p :cool: will do my PMs when I get home from the :party: at the beach tonight fellas. :D :Y:

LOL

It's all good Silver, I'm not one of those sticklers, if you know what I mean.
Being a Mod on another forum does teach some tricks to finding things quickly.

Let me send you some of my CA first, and you may consider sending Kato a coin if you wish to, she would 'fall over' with that. ;)

I find metal cleaning such a wonderful challenge, and with my other interest it is important not to leech out alloy components,
with coins of course you dont want to lose the base metals detail, that is so cool and difficult too.
Terrific challenge.

But I have an idea....., it concerns ICE.

Nobel metals are very stable.

I have found that modern plated DEC coins dont like CA at all in a tumbler. Oops....

You can give the 6d to hornet silver . I will hunt during tonight's storms and hope for the best , rest assured plenty of goldies will be found if all else fails !

Danny13 said:
You can give the 6d to hornet silver . I will hunt during tonight's storms and hope for the best , rest assured plenty of goldies will be found if all else fails !

Hey ya Danny, if Silver passes it to you, you have to learn to clean them, so it is then an experience, it also means that you
will learn to recognize them instead of accidentally passing them off as dirty 5c pieces in the shops. LOL

I have found a few in change, in the past, and we have one or two hanging around here. :Y:

We are about to go and chase some now in a park, wish us luck, Kato will likely beat me again !

1487479608_keep-calm-and-eat-chocolate-1004.jpg

Greenhornet_au said:
Smoky bandit said:
Lemon juice mate..i just used the yellow bottle from woolworths...24hrs and they just wiped clean with the thumb :Y:

Check the label for 'contents', you will likely find it is mainly CA as the 'real' juice would go off on the shelf.

Close enough to real for me...Does the job well...Dont think you would see a noticeable difference between real or this stuff :Y:
1487480673_20170219_145900-600x800.jpg

Smoky bandit said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Smoky bandit said:

Close enough to real for me...Does the job well...Dont think you would see a noticeable difference between real or this stuff :Y: https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/7289/1487480673_20170219_145900-600x800.jpg
And that's 2 liters at 99.9% :rolleyes: only thing missing is the rind and seeds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

B5MECH said:
Smoky bandit said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Smoky bandit said:

Close enough to real for me...Does the job well...Dont think you would see a noticeable difference between real or this stuff :Y: https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/7289/1487480673_20170219_145900-600x800.jpg
And that's 2 liters at 99.9% :rolleyes: only thing missing is the rind and seeds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y:

Greenhornet_au said:
Hi guys, hey Silver I thought I had suggested the LJ when I asked about the CAB process.

Interesting comparison there, and 'pressing' into BiCarb, VERY interesting - the search continues .......

My tumbler had a contamination issue so I have not used it for awhile, fixed now so I will try some

.............................WARNING NOT FOR USE WITH CHOCOLATE COINS....................................................
if staining occurs add warm milk, sugar, 1 cup of cooked rice, tumble for 20 minutes , pour into bowl, serve with fresh strawberrys :lol: :lol: :8

B5MECH said:
Greenhornet_au said:

.............................WARNING NOT FOR USE WITH CHOCOLATE COINS....................................................
if staining occurs add warm milk, sugar, 1 cup of cooked rice, tumble for 20 minutes , pour into bowl, serve with fresh strawberrys :lol: :lol: :8
IF STAINING OCCURS STOP EATING CHOCOLATES ! (ha) :lol:

B5MECH said:
Greenhornet_au said:

:Y: :Y: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LOL the contamination was from what looked like lead but wasnt, might have been tin/pewter.

Definitely not Chocolate, would not have made it passed my mouth - or the kids. :party:

silver said:
Greenhornet_au said:
silver said:
Greenhornet_au said:

Sorry Gh, I'll have to look that up now ,.... but Smokey did go through the process independently, and went on to discover it worked for him, appologies that my mind doesn't stretch too far Gh when it comes to bringing forward tangible memories for the moment at hand ,.... let's find the post where you suggest LJ and link to it from here, would be on my "Todays hunt results" thread ,.... first to find it and place the link on here properly will get a blackened 50% silver 6d worthy of trying in LJ to clean up, one that wouldn't respond any other way, and I'll pay the postage too ! ;)
well, I bet this won't take long (I can think of a few short cuts, but I won't say) :lol:
I could be incorrect about it being on my thread too. :eek: 8) :party:

Guys its all cool, and I'm not being funny about it, as what benefits one, benefits all as far as I am concerned.

The CA I use is far more concentrated (Industrial Grade) than the Coles bought stuff, so a milder form is LJ, but LJ is stronger that the store bought CA.
Other alternatives - Lime Juice, Orange Juice (acidic variety), Mandarins, Grapefruit, Tomato Juice - Citrus fruits that are acidic to your tongue, may all work with silver coins.

Silver, PM me some postal details and I will happily send you a sample of the Industrial CA to trial if you wish.
You to Smokey.

Or for that matter anyone. :)

It was in a PM Silver, me in response to your answer re CAB - 22 January 2017 09:42 am

Ohh is that all it is, Citric Acid, I have about 10kg of it, I use it for brass case tumbling in my shooting interests.
About a tea spoon into 4L of warm water with a squirt of dish liquid detergent, tumble in pins for about an hour, water rinse, and then metho rinse, air dry.

Bought 120kg bulk and passed it on at a lot less than Supermarket costs to others on another forum.

Have not used it on silver coins, but on other metals it can be brutal.

As you would know a milder form is just lemon juice.

Will read a lot more on the techniques used with it

However I just fixed an issue with my tumbler and found that an industrial cleaner may work too, I will trial some before
I post anymore on that front ;)
(HA), that's why I couldn't find it in a search Gh, I new someone would find it somewhere, mate, ain't it great you could pluck that out of almost nowhere (ha), looks like I better post you a 6d as well as Dan on behalf of B5 ,..... and yes ,... all for one, and one for all ! ;) :p :cool: will do my PMs when I get home from the :party: at the beach tonight fellas. :D :Y:
Sir :eek: I'll have to make the golden penny for your generosity :Y: Providing it's going to work :rolleyes:
It will be a medal of honor for you :eek: :Y:

Was a little late again with the rub on the 26 3d tonight.
still no aura around the 92.5% silver in LJ.
1487501144_20170219_201905.jpg

Still maybe a little improvement.
1487501333_20170219_202250.jpg

Ok 3 days up for the CAB soak for the 92.5% silver 1908 3d
1487584734_20170220_193434.jpg

and the 50% silver 1946 6d
1487584631_20170220_193443.jpg

gave them a thumb rub followed by a tapwater rinse before the photo shoot
here's the 1908 3d
0hrs
1487584950_20170217_190942.jpg

3 days CAB soak
1487585038_20170220_194215.jpg

1946 6d 50% silver
0hrs
1487585203_20170217_191048.jpg

3 days CAB soak
1487585250_20170220_194250.jpg

so, they both went into their LJ soak. :Y:
Even though the 1946 6d looks good already, we will still see if 12 hrs in theLJ makes any change to it. :)

And the 92.5% 1926 3d
3 days in LJ.
1487585615_20170220_194344.jpg

I put it back in to soak further in a fresh batch of LJ as the level of juice had dropped through evaporation, I will only go the full 4 days max total for the 92.5%silvers, then I will save them for a further experiment later on. 8)
looking to me like a soft strike well worn. :D

Was a bit late again this morning (got busier than anticipated).
So around 10:30 am.
no halos at all to report on.
1908 92.5%
3 days of CAB 15 hrs LJ
1487636972_20170221_101805.jpg

after a thumb rub.
1487637154_20170221_102205.jpg

1946 50%
3 days CAB 15 hrs LJ
1487637040_20170221_101814.jpg

after a thumb rub.
1487637203_20170221_102233.jpg

1926 92.5%
3 days 15 hours, all in LJ.
1487637109_20170221_101822.jpg

after a thumb rub
1487637399_20170221_102312.jpg

Will you be 'polishing' them as well when cleaned Silver, or are you just looking to remove the crud?

Might just be the pics, but it also appears the '46 has lost some of it's sheen prior to LJ?

GypsyGoldAu said:
Will you be 'polishing' them as well when cleaned Silver, or are you just looking to remove the crud?

Might just be the pics, but it also appears the '46 has lost some of it's sheen prior to LJ?
I'm just looking at what can happen to the crud Gypsy ,.... the 46 probably looks less sheeny as none of them were rinsed post rub this time (just took the photo as is) we may see it regain it's lustre this evening when it's all said and done around 7:30 pm when it will be rinsed and ph balanced. (as best as my method does). :D