⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1487499268_img_0292.jpg

nice little haul from Oallen yesterday

AussieChris said:
Quartz Creek, the Yukon right? got yourself some fricken Hoffman gold Boulders!

Sure is brother. That stuff is as dusty as hell. Grey baby powder. Had to soak it overnight before I even thought about panning it.

Some more gold p0rn for everyone. Opening up a new claim in the deep south of NZ. Pictures don't really show the 8 degree water temp and below zero mornings. All glacial gold, and some very successful detecting (often 100m up from the river on bedrock) with zero mineralisation.

Such pretties...

1488243862_g2.jpg

1488243862_g1.jpg

Sniffy said:
Some more gold p0rn for everyone. Opening up a new claim in the deep south of NZ. Pictures don't really show the 8 degree water temp and below zero mornings. All glacial gold, and some very successful detecting (often 100m up from the river on bedrock) with zero mineralisation.

Such pretties...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5571/1488243862_g2.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5571/1488243862_g1.jpg
Beautiful nuggets Sniffy :D re minds me of a video where a prospector over there went diving in a gorge water fall, not sure where exactly in NZ.
But he found some nice water worn nuggets like yours bloody great stuff wish it were me :cool:
Cheers

1488582770_image.jpg

Found my new sport total newbie hooked. At 35 yrs of age rock climbed most of 24 yrs got kids now n can't devote time to climb. Needed a kid camping compatable hobby n I've found it. 6 hrs work of some crevices at oallens. 2nd time panning. Happy as one nice pin head of a picker with a few decent flakes. Getting a little more serious n would like to do a mission into the back waters of the shoalhaven. Thinking of a 3 to 5 day camp n kayak. Can't go on my own due to safety. N my friends won't come as they want to see proof. But even when I go n get some yellow proof I won't be telling them lol. So if anyone is ultra keen on trudging with me with a kayak river sluice n crevicing gear. Hit me up. Also want to throw out there. if anyone wants to try abseil gold detecting I'm your guy. As rock walls are just vertical bedrock. Please if this concept is ridiculous please tell me as I feel n the right area could be productive. Will this work

Onya Jum,
i have found this passion combines a heap of outdoor pursuits to whatever limit you decide to push. Planning, navigation, hiking, climbing, camping, kayaking, moto riding, 4wd'ing, shovelling, pick swinging....all with a minimalistic gear approach and mostly the hell away from phone reception. I'm at the other end of aus to you but did the shoalhaven in dec from bungonia to near nowra...good looking country in there. I didn't get to have scratch around as was doing a reckie for an adventure race...it was 18hrs paddling time over 2 days! I'd do it again tmorrow:) If i'm down that way again i'll see if you still have the bug!

" rock walls are just vertical bedrock."

Interesting thought Jum.

When I was a kid, my Dad used to take us kids to all the old prospecting spots from Napoleons Reef, down to Araluen with a fifteen by fifteen Marquee in an old Morris Minor - I reckon that I saw more of Australia than a lot of Australian kids had - anyway, Dad took us up to Nundle for the school holidays. We'd heard that gold was in the Peel, and because we were 10 quid poms, the idea of finding gold fascinated Dad, and, of course, us.

We started just north of the township, panning, and continued down stream. We got past Bowling Alley Point and Dad noticed that some of the gold had changed from all river worn to rough. Curioser and curioser he says to himself. There was an old Digger who was walking down the river with his pick, shovel and pan who stopped to have a yarn, and Dad remarked that the shape and texture of the gold had changed.

Anyway, this old Fella says yeah, that'd be right. That rounded gold comes from further up the river, but the rough stuff comes from halfway down Hanging Rock.

Dad says what do you mean, and this old Digger says that there's a reef halfway up Hanging Rock, vertical like, and when we get that dumping down rain in autumn it loosens up and washes gold down into a swamp just upriver from Bowling Alley Point. He reckoned that the bigger pieces sink in the swamp, and that the lighter stuff confluences with the Peel, and thats why the nature of the gold changes.

I suppose the old Diggers theory could hold water Jum - afterall, they do say gold is where you find it, and why can't gold be weathering out of a cliff - curious though that the nature of the gold Does change around about there. Eh.

Hi prospectors, looking to hit some areas around Beaconsfield Tasmania, but to help out have tried to make my own sluice, I used a 2 metre galvanised C channel fence post, and some ribbed rubber matting all from bunnings. Ran some river fines through it seem to work of the last material to flush was a very fine black sand. Can anyone help with angles or water flow rate (will i learn it as i go).

1489715840_1489660073_20170316_204330.jpg

1489715840_1489660116_20170316_204323.jpg

1489715840_1489660152_20170316_204314.jpg

1489715840_1489660184_20170316_204306.jpg

Sniffy said:

Such pretties...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5571/1488243862_g2.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5571/1488243862_g1.jpg

Someone is smashing it :)

Latest posts