? crystal clear water for gems etc ? whats best ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiefarmer

Thinks he is funny
Supporting Member
Reaction score
righto so I am thinking of sapphire's and fine gold for display, once their home and put in glass bottles what is the best way to have pristine water for them to swim in ?

what is the secrete ?

is it distilled water ?
or maybe a drop of vinegar ?
or even pure vodka ;) ?

I generally just have the water from my sucker bottle but on occasion it has developed algae so I guess theres a better way ,

i use good ol' metholated spirits aka wood alcohol....

1487242600_gems-2-.jpg

Me too, metho never grows green. :D
just a bit of black sand n dust (nothing to gloat about) :| ...... :lol:

The thick stuff mate -the other stuff can be a bit volatile.

Did i ever tell you about the time my Dad bought 1200 acres down Trunkey Creek way. Lovely spot, had the copper henna creek running through the property, lots of bunnies and trout in the creek. And very steep hills - these hills were mainly slate and so any tree that grew on the hill usually slid down to the creek edge - Oh, and snakes. Bloody snakes everywhere.

Anyway, we were all out there over the school holidays, and my baby sister walks up to Dad and says 'look at the candle Dad' - he turned a strange colour and told her to put it down - carefully.

After my sister stopped crying, Dad asked her where she got it from, and she told him 'from the little barrel in the mine', which was a basic drive into the hillside, chasing the hardrock bound gold.

Dad, being dad, missed it when he went exploring, but not us kids. We knew there was this hole in the side of the hill, with metal 'spiders' to hold candles, and an old butter barrel with old dynamite sticks in it. we knew it was dangerous so we left it alone. What we didn't know was that the half inch of 'water' in the barrel wasn't water.

Anyway, Dad got the army to come out and fix the problem - which they did.

They sent us all, two ridges over, towards Mr Halls place and set it off - there was an almighty WHUMPPA! felt though our feet as well as heard, and you could hear rocks falling for the next 2 minutes.

Needless to say, we didn't have a problem with snakes or bunnies for the rest of the season, but we did have a big fry-up of beautiful, fresh trout that night.

I wonder now if the Old Folk used to give it to us kids when we were bunged up, knowing the effect that the other glycerine had...We're a weird mob.

I don't A.F.

Unfortunate really because what I knew as a kid, in comparison to 50 odd years later, is worlds apart, and we've got those light plastic pans now instead of those old steel ones, and comfortable chairs, and eskies, and...

I am the same in a way, the people i did know in several areas, before i took gold seriously , have either moved or died and its amazing how much of that good rugged country is now split into little lifestyle blocks .
Hiensite always blows :lol:

Latest posts