Gold Prospecting areas around Muswellbrook

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbutch

John
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm still squeaky clean to prospecting and I think I'm hooked :eek: I was looking at trying some new areas that are close to home which for me is Muswellbrook NSW.

I normally head out with a mate for a day trip until I can get time off work to stay a few days away, for now its anywhere within 2 1/2 hours drive so I can get there and back again.

The area of have been heading to is Nundle and I have found a little bit of the yellow stuff in the bottom of the pan which was great to see :) it wasn't a lot but it was nice even if they are only tiny. 8)

I know of Moonanflats, Moonan Brook and Stewarts Brook are meant to be good locations but most areas are fenced off to the public I was told, does anyone have more information on these locations or if they are worth the visit?

Also Barrington tops is close by which is also meant to have a number of good locations but that place is so huge you could park a bus in the forest and never find it again.

If anyone can point me and a mate in the general direction or offer any advice on new areas close to Muswellbrook to head to and try I would appreciate it, I'm happy to give feedback on any locations that I've been so others can know what to expect.

I'd love to get to the Broken Hill area or Bathurst and stay a week but that may not be for a little while yet.

I've got the itch now and want to keep playing in the dirt :8 so for now its what I can do in day trips.

Hey mate

Im from Newcastle area and just starting to get into gold panning and prospecting myself. Haven't even used a pan yet! lol. But am taking the family for a weekend trip to Nundle this weekend for a look and might explore some creek beds. I dont have any answers to your questions and have asked them all myself recently. Am happy to join forces with you, learn together and share some info as I find it if you're keen. I have some mates who know a lot of the old timers in the areas around Dungog that we're interested in, so ill start asking some questions and hopefully make a rough plan of places to check out. Let me know if you're keen to catch up.

Cheers

Hi Psycho,

Thanks for the response I'm not heading back to Nundle for a little while as work has gotten in the way need to pay those bills :mad: .

But when I head back up I'll post it up, so if your in the area you can join in on the search for the yellow stuff.

Thanks

Psycho said:
Hey mate

Im from Newcastle area and just starting to get into gold panning and prospecting myself. Haven't even used a pan yet! lol. But am taking the family for a weekend trip to Nundle this weekend for a look and might explore some creek beds. I dont have any answers to your questions and have asked them all myself recently. Am happy to join forces with you, learn together and share some info as I find it if you're keen. I have some mates who know a lot of the old timers in the areas around Dungog that we're interested in, so ill start asking some questions and hopefully make a rough plan of places to check out. Let me know if you're keen to catch up.

Cheers

Psycho

I am Gosford and would also like to catch up one day.
Have been asking questions about dungog for a while and noone seems to know to much.
I am interested in hitting the area behind Chichester Dam or anywhere for that matter.
Would also be interested in heading to Nundle.
I mainly head to wattle flat or sofala solo, so would be good to get north with like minded folk

Neil

There are maps for the upper Hunter Goldfields , however these are rare and youd be hard to find a copy of them these days
I sold my map years ago but kept a copy of them for myselfn
I have never been up that way but one day I shall

Marty

jhbutch said:
Hi All,

I'm still squeaky clean to prospecting and I think I'm hooked :eek: I was looking at trying some new areas that are close to home which for me is Muswellbrook NSW.

I normally head out with a mate for a day trip until I can get time off work to stay a few days away, for now its anywhere within 2 1/2 hours drive so I can get there and back again.

The area of have been heading to is Nundle and I have found a little bit of the yellow stuff in the bottom of the pan which was great to see :) it wasn't a lot but it was nice even if they are only tiny. 8)

I know of Moonanflats, Moonan Brook and Stewarts Brook are meant to be good locations but most areas are fenced off to the public I was told, does anyone have more information on these locations or if they are worth the visit?

Also Barrington tops is close by which is also meant to have a number of good locations but that place is so huge you could park a bus in the forest and never find it again.

If anyone can point me and a mate in the general direction or offer any advice on new areas close to Muswellbrook to head to and try I would appreciate it, I'm happy to give feedback on any locations that I've been so others can know what to expect.

I'd love to get to the Broken Hill area or Bathurst and stay a week but that may not be for a little while yet.

I've got the itch now and want to keep playing in the dirt :8 so for now its what I can do in day trips.

PM sent mate

Unless you can get onto private land stewarts brook and the other spots around that area are prity much closed of to us non land owners Barrington and the like of those areas are a no go as it's a national park ,closest spot would be nundle or sofala for decent returns for your efforts and decent access to land , you can find good colour in the state forests in nundle area in the gullies and forrest creeks if you prepared to venture into the bush to find some freshly filled up rock crevice it's all just luck but if you get on the yellow or not if you go down the peel you allways do ok but as expected the findings are a lot smaller As they have travelled from down the mountains so more material needs to be moved swamp creek camp area has good access to the creek but it is also a haven for snakes in between the large hot exposed river rocks as I come to learn one day myself hope you find something mate

Latest posts