Found green rock please help id

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1487261732_imag0043.jpg

Any one have any idea what this is thanks

Found it when I was 8 (20 years ago) was just on top of ground and don't know where rest of it is thanks every one

Nice one smokey .. look just bought a gq patrol and have two little girls one and three wanted to know if any one knows any good places that are family friendly to go have a look around . I'm 40 min south of Perth w.a I know it's off topic but couldn't find a thread and didn't want to start a new one .

Ronnie said:
Nice one smokey .. look just bought a gq patrol and have two little girls one and three wanted to know if any one knows any good places that are family friendly to go have a look around . I'm 40 min south of Perth w.a I know it's off topic but couldn't find a thread and didn't want to start a new one .
Im on the other side of Australia mate..So unfortunately i cant help you..But im sure someone here will have an answer for you :Y:

Just don't look too far south of Albany Ronnie ! 8) :lol:
I'm afraid I'm not much help either from over here. :|

Nice chrysoprase beyond much doubt. Do you just want to look for interesting minerals? Could try a bit further south - pegmatites around Greenbushes. If you want to see what pegmatite minerals look like, they have big lumps of lithhium minerals etc lying in the garden of the mine public parking lot (last time I was there). There is even a lookout point over the opencut in the centre of town in a park, where you can look down on the pegatite dykes cutting through the ewwalls of the parking lot. Also tin and tantalum minerals there.

I think it is hard for carving Silver - isn't your bottom photo nephrite (NZ "jade").

Ronnie said:

This will help you and a lot of others - http://dmpbookshop.eruditetechnolog...stones-of-western-australia-second-edition.do

You can download and read at your leisure :)

Sorry to drag up an old thread but my grandfather used to have huge chunks of Chrysoprase laying around, but l never knew what it was till now, l always wondered what it was.
My father was telling me there used to be a big reef of it on Curtis island (think that was the spot) when he was a kid but at some point people came and took the lot. The lumps laying around the yard were almost too heavy to pick up when l was a kid so probably around 20-30kg each.

Smoky bandit said:
Ronnie said:
Im on the other side of Australia mate..So unfortunately i cant help you..But im sure someone here will have an answer for you :Y:

Don't know specific localities but have seen it everywhere from Mt Magnet to Wingellina. It forms near surface in weathered ultramafic rocks, which themselves are dark green but can be scratched with a gold coin (i.e. soft). e,g, northwest side of town at Mt Magnet, just west of the highway, although poor quality). Really good stuff is hard to find but the sort of stuff shown here is scattered everywhere at surface over these ultramafic rocks. You are a fair way from there - you might ask gem clubs in your region for specific localities (eg I would suspect it at Lake Grace, Boddington etc).

Ronnie said:

plenty of it around the Menzies area.