NSW Highbanking - what is the current state of play?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 7.62marksman and mbasko, I thought it was best to ask as I didn't want to break any rules by mistake and ruin anything for anyone else.

Thanks for the link I'll keep an eye out for any changes as well. :)

I would really like to hear or see the references made to that one. :)
If such a change was made, We NAPFA would be all over it.
No Offense but I have just spent a bit of time looking and can not see any. 8)

jhbutch said:
Hi all, sorry to ask a question that has been most likely been asked before but I met a guy at Nundle while I was there the other day who said that the legislation in N.S.W. had just been changed.

He said that it was now legal to use a small pump with a high banker in N.S.W. and that it was only the size of the pump that was regulated.

Does anyone know if this is correct I cant find any updated information on it, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots. :(

Thanks for any information and help on this matter. :)

Thanks for your feedback & update Tathradj :) , I was just checking as the guy I was speaking to at Nundle said that the laws had just been changed but when I looked I couldn't find any reference to it. I thought maybe I was searching the wrong spots and best to check with you guys.

For now I will continue to happily use my sluice and pan :D

There have been no changes, so the information you received at Nundle is not correct.

However NAPFA is lobbying the Department on behalf of all highbankers as we believe the regulation as it currently stands (was amended in 2010) is way too harsh and restrictive. Those who want a full explanation of the issue can find it on the NAPFA website under 'submissions'. This is an ongoing process and has been the subject of a number of face-to-face meetings.

We are hopeful of a good outcome and will let NAPFA members and the community know of any relevant change. Of course we cannot predict the final result.

Meanwhile if you are not a NAPFA member, now would be a good time to get on board. See
www.napfa.net for process to join.

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Is there an update from anyone (including NAPFA) on the current state of play related to highbankers being illegal in NSW?

Several members have requested that other members be patient, don't do anything rash and maintain trust that the Association will take up the fight on behalf of everyone.

I for one am clueless as to what is going on as I have no idea where NAPFA is up to in its dealings with the Regulator.

Also keen to know what the real effect of the enforcement directive has been...has anyone had trouble or have people just been 'educated'?

TIA

Someone on another forum emailed them and asked for advice on a number of matters.

The regulator wrote back (dated 4 October), and indicated that two official cautions had been issued for use of high bankers, but no penalty notices issued or prosecutions commenced.

At this stage yes.
We are calling for every one not to stir things up by emails or letters of
complaint as it will just make things a lot harder to resolve.
If in time we cannot get an answer, We have some strategies in place to
deal with the situation.
Putting it short, We have them on the run now.
And it is good but will take a little more time.
I have taken over the role of Communications emails and am
about to start broadcasting.
I am sorting out the system at the moment.
And it hurt's to see my Bankers, Pumps and hoses stored in the shed at
the moment.
Believe you me. ]:D ]:D

It's funny we need an election, the voice of the people to accept gay marriage, but when it comes to HBanking it just takes a coupla blokes who don't like it (even though they haven't tried it) to say no, was a vote put to the people or was it all one sided.
Just a thought
B....

Tathradj wrote on 21 November "I have taken over the role of Communications emails and am about to start broadcasting".

I was looking forward to an update on NAPFA addressing the highbanking issue.

Nothing received or seen to date. Even Private Messaging system in this forum seems to not have much real effect.

For an organisation that was keen to garner the support of members and was even seeking more members to give it a wider support base, there is not much in it if you cannot get to an AGM and are not mates with the few who know what is going on and what's intended.

Whoever said 'patience is a virtue' understated that.

No doubt this post will p'off some of the regulars who dominate in these these pages, but hey why ask for support when the support you really want is do nothing /say nothing.

I understand the logic and tactics of not telegraphing your punches to your enemy (in this case the regulator), but treating your own supporters like they cant be trusted with the go forward plan seems a bit weird to me. Who is the opposition here?

I guess I will be expected to retreat back into my hole and be patient (do nothing/say nothing)...mission accomplished.

You miss the point Gary...NAPFA is more than capable of direct communications with all its members not just those in the know or who can front the AGM.

I don't expect them to communicate via this forum...although it has not stopped them seeking to expand the membership by posting on this forum and they have used this forum to express disdain about the actions of the NSW regulator and and then to ask their members (and others) to be patient, let the committee do their things and the rest of their members to say and do nothing.

I joined earlier this year and have received two emails (both) in September of this year.

The next email I am expecting is to ask me to pay to renew my membership or maybe booting me for seeking to know what's happening and how I can support the cause.... beyond keeping quiet and doing nothing.

Would have been nice if the Authorities had this rubbish sorted before xmas. There will be some extra quite country towns this holiday season missing out on regular fossicking family trips :(

Don't we know about that. :mad:
Only way I can say this is we are waiting for a meeting with the relevant
department to sort this out post hast.
Just waiting on a date to do this.
Heartbreaking I know but our hands are tied at the moment.
If you have not noticed from my other post's, I have taken on
the role of Communications Officer and will be responsible for
the emails you are about to start receiving.
By All means, You may communicate directly to me via this forum as that
is what I am here for.
Any updates or news we have will be broadcast to our Members first then
after a couple of days, Will be then communicated to the rest of the world
via our other channels.
In other words, Our financial members will have any news first hand before any one else knows.

Tathradj said:
A very Good thought.
And you are very close to what actually happened.

Thanks Tathradj, Very one sided in deed.
Personally I think we should have more action, as action does speak loader than words.
We are a democratic nation, are we not.
A peaceful protest and discussion to the relavant people, maybe even invite them out for a weekend camping and learning of the history, nature and the aussie way might persuade in some way.
A lot of coin has been put into this hobby, not by just me but 1000's of others and now just sitting in the shed, wife is now not happy for spending money on now obsolete gear, maybe unleash the wives onto the greens. I know mine can let hell loose on the coldest day. ]:D
Bless her little pink socks.

Brad.......

Haha my missus gave me a bit of a grilling too over 3 highbankers (GS21, RDH Gold Buster 2 and a Gold Hog Raptor Flare 2.0) that I had sitting in my computer room gathering dust. She prompted me to sell them if they were no longer of use to us here. They were inside for a reason as our shed is somewhat external and faces the street and although the roller is fine the side door needed a new lock as when I locked it I could give it a bit of a jiggle and presto, what's mine is yours!

Little does she know I had planned to grab a Gold Rat Outback series at the start of the season but have just held off for a bit while the dust settles. And yeah I know why do I want 4x highbankers.......eh can't help myself really, love seeing how different ones perform and have enjoyed tinkering with the GS21. In the past, I have also brought them along for mates to use.

I traded a Nikon D750 DSLR camera I got off a guy that owed me money from a job and couldn't pay me for the Gold Hog Raptor Flare, which was basically brand new. A guy I met was selling it due to the notice of enforcement of the laws that stopped most of us in our tracks, he had only used it twice after buying it from the States.

I have not even used the Raptor out in the field yet, pretty expensive ornament right now.

I fixed the door so I guess they should go back down the shed, gather some more dust until a miracle happens, I trade them to a Vicmexican or go jump the border myself.

One thing though is, even though it's incredibly frustrating, and it s**ts us all to tears, its no use taking it out on others in the forum, no one here is to blame over the shift to make it loud and clear that highbanking as we know it has most likely come to an end in NSW. Give Tathradj a break, like he said it hurts him just as much as anyone else to see unused gear gathering dust.

Latest posts