Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rb..there is no best setting...But i can give you the best setting to start with... in prospecting mode...Auto noise cancel......threshold 10..without headphones...sensitivity set to stable...if its to cherpy..back it off....until it's running smooth...auto tracking..IM set to 5....dig everything..good luck.. :Y:

Ivo said:
There is no "gold nugget" setting on any detector just dig every signal if in doubt set it back to coin mode and check the signal if iron it will show up in the minus range on the 705

No way I have seen big nuggets attached to ironstone which have been discriminated out. Do not discriminate at all. I saw one guy dig an 8 ounce nugget out which was attached to a big piece of ironstone the detector blanked it out showing it was iron. The guy thought it was a buried rusty old tin he was lucky he dug every signal. Remember gold is rarely pure it is usually alloyed with other metals silver,copper even platinum are common you cannot use any discrimination.especially coin mode.on that machine. ;)

Well I bought Terra 705 gold pack today from Anaconda $599. Got it home and put it together and part of the screen is not working. Not happy. But will ring minelab in the morning
1487149528_img_0798.jpg
It's the bottom part of the number where the ballpoint pen is on the box. :(

I believe it's a common problem. my old xterra 50 had , and still has the same but cannot be fixed so I live with it . also my 705 bought last year from anaconda was same from new, minelab fixed it no problems and been good since.

Hey guys, I bought the X terra 705 and already finding some cool finds. Just a question, im finding the numbers are all over the place. If i put a $1 coin down it will come up 32 which is correct but then also flick a couple other numbers. Is there a way to more accuratly tell the numbers so i can start avoiding crap and have a better way of understanding what maybe buried ?

Do better coils make this better?
Thanks for any help

Jaros said:
Practice---makes perfect yeehaaaaa.

Yep totally agree and been hitting it hard but a one dollar coin can range from an 8 to a 40. Way to all over the place to ever tell

A coin should not deviate by that much on air testing, you must have something else interfering if it is jumping all the way from 8 to 40, even shallow the medium depth coins should be pretty accurate if sitting flat in the ground, less so when lying on an angle. The other scenario is if you are testing in/on the ground, you might be picking up other targets in close proximity making the numbers jump around. Also the deeper the coin the less accurate the numbers will be, I like to treat them as an indication rather than a certainty, and prefer to learn the tones which hold more accuracy at depth.

Here's a link to 705 target ID's, should help take out some of the guess work. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15178

I find that the id want be as accurate when the target is sitting on top rather than burried.
Goldpick is most likely on the money here, there must be junk in the soil underneath or really heavy ironstone.
Use "all metal" to find a clean spot and try that.

Good luck
Daggy

Goldpick is on the money.
There are many reasons why a target ID can be jumpy (this applies to a lot of detectors):

1. Coin is at the limit of it's detection range

2. High mineralisation

3. Your ground balance isn't set correctly

4. Sensitivity is set too high (in mild soils/dry sand this can actually help)

5. The target is in close proximity to another target

6. Your detector is picking up some EMI (even if it isn't audible), this EMI can blend with the target response

7. You aren't sweeping across the sweep spot of the target

As Jaros said, this all comes with experience, and learning the nuances of the detector (and every detector has it's own unique differences).

If the ground you are in is mineralised, then activating the Coins Plus mode can help to stabilize ID's.

cheers, Nenad

Make sure you set your auto noise cancell first...Then auto ground balance....i keep my target id stablizer on all the time...the little + near the coin simble....coins should not change numbers to much unless its a sunbaker...which will give a double beep..or its more than 8 inchs...deep....or next to another target...The numbers are just a guide to what the machine thinks the target is so dont rely on it to much...Though when looking for coins i have found the target id to be very helpful.....if its a coin... say a $2coin ...for my machine it will always read a stable 32...and a $1coin will jump from 30 to 32 even to 34 at times but with constant sweeps it will usually settle on 30...also when you press pinpoint auto...(not pimpoint sizing)...if it is a coin (say a $2) The target id should stay at 32...if it drops by more 4 its more than likely not a coin...Hope this makes sence :Y: