Gold exploration in the Hunter Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin&Lee said:
The Tamworth Hastings map shows Alluvial AU in the Kerripit at Rawdon Vale

Can you get onto bedrock?

Cheers

C&L

Thanks for all the links gents!

No I did not dig right down to bedrock. Perhaps that's where I went wrong?

I did clean out a few crevices. Black sand but no yellow!

Cheers

Horse said:
Retirement Stone said:
I have been chasing the mythical Alluvial Gold in the Hunter.

Panned Kerripit River near Rawdon Vale. 0 Gold only black sand.

Panned Lawlers Creek near Monkerai. 0 Gold only black sand.

Yet to find a single speck. Will try high up in the hills another day!

I can back up the info on Kerripit River....I was excited to try that river out....but not a single speck.
That was my first trip out in over 10 years.
Copeland creek gave a few specks on the way home...however water was limited to a couple of muddy puddles.

Horse,

How deep did you dig?

The river rocks are almost cemented into place. A crowbar maybe in order to free up a hole and see if bedrock can be found.

Craig

In the Hunter Valley, gold occurred at Moonan Flat (Dry Creek and Kangaroo Creek), Denison (4 km NE of Scone, Omadale Brook and at Stewarts Brook (8 km SE of Moonan Flat. A detailed report on this area is published in the: Records of the Geological Survey of NSW, Volume 15 Part 2, pp. 109-162; "The Upper Hunter Gold Field" by S.R. Lishmund, 1973. :)

I've just been looking up Denison (only briefly) and can't find anything on the place, there's / was a place called Denison Town much further inland though but nowhere near Scone. If possible, I'd love some more details about this place as it's not all that far from where I'm currently living.

Cheers Calala, Moonen Flat is a little more than 4kms from Scone, I was hoping there was something close by to check out. I took a trip to Moonen Flat not too long ago but found most of the land was privately owned so I ended up going straight through to Nundle. I want to return again soon though to take another look.

Retirement Stone said:
Horse said:
Retirement Stone said:
I have been chasing the mythical Alluvial Gold in the Hunter.

Panned Kerripit River near Rawdon Vale. 0 Gold only black sand.

Panned Lawlers Creek near Monkerai. 0 Gold only black sand.

Yet to find a single speck. Will try high up in the hills another day!

I can back up the info on Kerripit River....I was excited to try that river out....but not a single speck.
That was my first trip out in over 10 years.
Copeland creek gave a few specks on the way home...however water was limited to a couple of muddy puddles.

Horse,

How deep did you dig?

The river rocks are almost cemented into place. A crowbar maybe in order to free up a hole and see if bedrock can be found.

Craig
Missus and I were on the top of the hook in the river.
I did find some exposed bedrock with some nice drops and chased that down into some hard packed material.
We spent a few hours there, I figured with such a promising looking spot and a no show of anything....time to move on.

Hi Nuggett, I used to work at Merriwa years ago and heard stories that may have some truth- see attached articles from 1879 and 1931.

1392331977_merriwa1879.jpg

1392332025_merriwa1931.jpg

I've panned some colour at Riverwood Downs aT Monkerai and have read that Nuggets were once found in the Karuah river. They also used to dredge gold at Fingal Bay spit. I've heard rumours that both god and diamonds have been recovered from Hawks Nest NSW up to Seal Rocks when mining for rultide black sand. Gold has also been found somewhere between Coolongalook and Buladelah. I have also heard that Nuggets up to two ounces were recovered by road workers around Singleton when building the HWY but rumours are just that...

I would like to give Monkerai a shot...it is less than an hour from my place.. never heard of colour in that area before.. gold is scarce around our area.. most gold found locally was in very small reefs that were soon worked out.. some alluvial was found in some small local creeks but they are all on private land and cannot be accessed.. I would be interested in a joint field trip to Monkerai to find some colour if you are keen.. :)

Not sure if any of you guys from the Hunter area are still digging around (pardon the pun). Id be interested in joining forces to see what we might find together. I don't have any experience yet, but willing to learn, do some labour and even drive us out there. Give me a holler if you're keen, otherwise ill have a poke with some mates when I start collecting some gear. :D

Hey, Im new here. Ive planned a child free trip to Muswellbrook between Christmas and New Years to see a mate. Looking to take my Gold Monster and pans out to Jerrys Plains, Hunter River (near Glenbawn) and perhaps do a day trip to Nundle. To answer on Barrington Tops, my parents have a property up the mountain in Upper Rouchel, as the crow flies to Stewarts Brook and the old mines, I was quite determined but didnt find anything. Tried the brooks and springs. Lots more to look at as its on 300 acres but a lot is hard yakka and not easy to get to unless youre a mountain goat. Had a look out at Moonan Flat, Stewarts Brook and Copeland but lots is private property. Im determined to find something on this trip. Does anyone want to join us?

Yes, gold along the eastern margin of the Hunter Valley in many of the areas discussed above.

Gulgong was mostly deep leads/alluvial gold. The golden octopus spread out from Red Hill & some other reefs that weren't overly rich. A lot too deep for us to worry about but still some areas of shallow gold. Unfortunately not a lot of accessible ground being mostly private property. Lots of mullock heaps around Home Rule to fossick on.
Historically mining on the deep leads was abandoned due to water at depth.

Most of it it private property in Rouchel so Id dare say that prospectors would be unwelcome without owner consent. Im doubtful there is and Ive scrapped the idea for now. The topography of it also is a challenge. I definitely think the Hunter River has potential but it depends on private property again. I think Ill definitely head to Nundle though if there are places I can take my GM.

cheers said:
Has anyone ever got some gold at Upper Rouchel ???
Not sure. My Dad doesnt think its gold bearing and did a bit of fossicking back in the 70s. Im not quite sure what Im looking out for. Theres no quartz and the stuff they did get in the 1800s around Stewarts Brook was at depth and not much. Driving through, it was all fenced as private property. I think Ill practice in proven gold bearing areas that are open to fossicking.