Nokta Gold+ capabilities

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying the gold+ for the coming winter as it seems the best detector in the sub $1500 range on the market. However there has not been any tests done by this detector in the harsh ground of the Golden Triangle to my knowledge,or any reports of decent finds ( 2 ounces and above).Most of the YouTube reports are from Europe or America detecting for coins.I do not know if this detector is a dark horse or would be a flop on Victorian goldfields and whether I would be better off saving up for a P.I unit. Has anyone found some decent nuggets in the Golden Triangle using the boost mode or fast mode on this unit. Is the 10 inch coil which is supplied better than the 15.5 inch coil for finding 2 ounce nuggets.The larger coil is an optional extra which can be fitted to the Gold+ at a cost of $185 as far as I can find out. It may be that the 10 inch coil is tailored for this unit and has better sensitivity.

The FG+ is a very capable VLF detector in the hands of someone who knows how to go about finding gold with a VLF style detector. However, it is VLF...not PI...you are never going to compete with a PI in highly mineralized ground. Yet, in the more trashes areas of the gold fields, people are putting their VLFs to good use finding bits of gold...some with size using VLF technology.
The two Disc modes offer discrimination, boost mode gives the detector a little more spark, and is a good mode to use looking for smallish gold among the trash. All metal mode is more sensitive, but will require the use of the ISAT function in most mineralized ground....it speeds up the return of the threshold, but you will sacrifice a bit of depth if you find yourself getting to use to its operation.

The FG+ runs on 19khz, this gives it a little more spark on the smaller gold close to the surface. The supplied 10x5"elip DD coil adds to the usefulness of this lightweight little vVLF detector.

At the end of the day...dont compare it with a PI..both PI and VLF have their place...its your job to work out your style, and your budget. Most of us who chase gold, will have a good VLF to compliment our PIs for working the trash area, and for a little coin relic hunting as well.

Hi all, I think the Makro Gold Racer is a good versatile metal detector. At 56khz it'll ping gold all day and there're good on relics?
Jim

Thanks Narrawa, I did find find 3,2 and half ounce nuggets with a Whites 5000D many years ago and I understand these larger nuggets are rare these days. After shifting houses and living overseas for a few years I ve lost my Whites or it got took and I have run out of money. So if the Fors Gold+ is better than the 5000D with a 16 inch coil then I would be happy. Iam retired now was planning on digging up the mullock heaps as well as I have lots of time. A lot of nuggets were missed by the old timers in their haste to get to the next new rush and were just sitting on the sides of holes.

One of the smoothest VLFs in mineralised dirt in my opinion was the Eureka Gold, particularly with the 8" or 11" round coil in 20 kHz. The Eureka Gold is now discontinued so I think the Fors Gold+ at 19 kHz which has tracking is the most similar alternative.

The Gold+ is a much more modern machine so has cool features like auto ground balance (grab), a very broad sensitivity adjustment, plenty of volume, and very good balance due to having all the weight at the back.

If you want extra depth in mineralised soils on some bigger bits, the coil I'd recommend is the 11x7" coil. On very large gold, then yes the 15x13 would be the go.

Hope that helps.

Nenad

Thanks Nenad. I was buying the Eureka Gold before I found out about the Nokta more recently and I read the Eureka was an old machine and there are better ones around.Certainly the Gold + would save a lot of adjustment with the automatic tracking or isat. I do personally like the 16 inch coils from past experience and with a 10 inch coil you can always have the feeling you might have missed something big without the 16 incher, but is only preference. I have heard the all metal mode is no good in most of our Victorian goldfields and others have suggested to start in boost mode and change to fast mode when required. The Gold+ is good as it offers that last resort. One thing I do not understand is why your shop offers the pro pack with the 16 inch coil for the Nokta Gold but the Gold+ I think by memory has a 10 or 11 inch coil as standard and the 16 inch is an optional extra. I realize the two machines run at slightly different frequencies.

Just different price points for different features/inclusions.

Gold Racer - 10x5" coil - $975
Fors Relic - 11x7" & 5" coils - $1190
Fors Gold+ 10x5" & 5" coils - $1175
Racer 2 Pro Pack is a 2 coil package but includes a carry bag and cover - $1345

It's only the Fors CoRe Pro Pack that has the 15.5" as standard at $1415

If you're leaning towards a Gold+ with 15.5" coil, get in touch and see what we can work out.

SA & VIC actually have a mixed bag of soil conditions and can vary greatly between locations - even in the same location.
I think Prospector Pete's recent video on the 15.5" coil on the Gold Racer was a bit of an eye opener.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=597fWgupE54[/video]

The iSAT function was first implemented in the Gold Racer, even tho the FG+ came out first. It took some time to get right on the 56khz Gold Racer, Just remember, its primarily used for the return of the threshold when working nasty ground in AM....and it will effect depth and sensitivity of a target. Over compensating the threshold on the VLF will cost you depth. In other words...keep the thresh low, just like that of a PI machine. Same principle....if the target does not reach the floor of the threshold due to the thresh being too high, you lose it.

The gain settings on most Nokta/Makro models is set rather high for our soils, and not all models implement the gain vs the target amplification using the same sequence. As an example....the gain can bet set from 1-5...thats the gain...the numbers you see changing from 1-5 is the amplification...the gain is set to a max of 5 in that set...some models have a much bigger set...for instance 1-40 ect ect.
This gives you an idea of how to set your gain levels without going over board....you can normally tell where these levels are set, by winding the gain up from 1 to max, and listening for a slight pause between each number...when you hear the pause..this will tell you, you have reached the next gain level.
A special note when working high mineralization that is saturated/wet. Lower your gain if the detector goes into overload...some times just a few clicks lower will suffice....other times a much lower figure is required....dont panic to much as these detectors a very high gained. I often use mine on very low gain levels....this helps with IDing targets close together in Disc modes. The AM side of these models gives target ID as well, but unlike the Disc side of them, it registers a number much faster, and at a much less signal strength. The Disc side of these models takes away some of the thinking by not registering a target ID due to the signal strength, if its not able to lock on...it wont show...leaving only the tone for your to think about...and most of us will dig a high tone.

Sometimes the Auto GB operation is a little generous, meaning you will hear the ready BEEP a little early, but if you listen carefully, you may hear that the GB is still a tad out as your raise and lower the coil...use your manual controls for a much finer GB.

Gain levels.
Gold Racer 0-29 / 30 -39 / 40-49 / 50-59 / 60-69 / 70-79 / 80-89/ 90-99

Fors Gold + - 0-54 / 55-99

Fors Gold / Core - 0-49 / 50-99

These settings may have changed during the release of latter models of the same model....however, the pause should let you know.?

Thanks Nenad and Narrawa,you've both been a very big help.Looking forward now to order the unit.Will be starting detecting early May and living in the bush 2 weeks at a time. Hope to report some good finds. There,s still gold in them hills and fortune favors the bold.

Latest posts