Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I wonder if the Gold Chance reading is individualised for the user ........

Thinking it would say. " you are dreaming " or " go home, it is getting late " ........ :eek: do you think my wife will be able to corrupt the programming and leave a personal chance message; she seems to have invaded my immediate thoughts already

I quickly checked for any other threads on this topic before I put this up but didn't see any. Happy for the mods to delete this rather than have two similar threads :D

Saw one post over here the Monster 1000 was priced at 799.99 US, so doubt this detector will have much in the way of hi tech advancements, single freq 45 khz so it will probably have a hard time competing against the Fisher CZX nugget machine once its on the market with two freqs, different form of ground balance, etc. time will tell.

Do you think it's a release in response to the new QED? Just a thought, and if it can handle hot ground without fuss that would be great . No need to buy a GPX or a GPz? Early days I know

Danny13 said:
Do you think it's a release in response to the new QED? Just a thought, and if it can handle hot ground without fuss that would be great . No need to buy a GPX or a GPz? Early days I know

No, it's main market is Africa and main rivals would be VLF's from XP , First Texas etc. It's an anticipated model that was initially announced in Codan's last Annual Report - that is a low cost lightweight VLF gold detector.

Thanks for the clarification goldpick , but will it find this on beach
1486812931_image.jpg

It should be better than any of your current detectors on thin gold chains and micro jewellery in the dry, though don't know whether the ground balance range will go low enough to balance out salt for the wetter stuff. Probably better off sticking with the CTX/Sov.

$1000 for a new detector..seems an OK price but what are we getting...does it have any discrimination..what are its other unique features?

At nearly $4K the Minelab SDC wont discriminate ( but it's a top machine!! and really easy to use)- I own one and love it !!!!

I hope Minelab doesn't do what BMW did years ago...position itself as the "best"...then bring in so many models and so many variants almost every 12 months to the point where re-sale value dropped substantially. If you owned one you though you had the latest and 12 months later...boom...new models across all their range.

Then they introduced BMW's (series 1) just under the luxury car tax threshold to deliberately make them available to a wider audience.

Now pretty much anyone can own BMWs and 2nd hand value is pretty crap unless you have a niche beemer like an M5 , M4 or M6. Look around the roads and see howm many 2nd hand beemers have P Plates...great for the young drivers.

BTW I am not bullshitting- I have owned 4 beemers prior to retirement.

My point is...people pay a premium to own a Minelab...and Minelab should not cannibilise their own market by introducing cheaper alternatives to their top models. :) :) :) :)

apparently it does have iron discrimination but I don't know too much about the machine except it is not meant for the Australian market apparently !?

It's predominantly being marketed for Africa.
It's a 45khz VLF detector. The frequency spread technology sounds interesting (18-71khz) if not similar to how other VLF detectors are tuned optimally to one frequency but can change frequency by changing coils, switching freq. etc.
It's replacing the Minelab Eureka Gold in the current line up of detectors (the Eureka Gold has begun a phase out already).
It will most likely stack up against the SDC the same as other high frequency VLF's do now. It will keep up & may even be better due to discrimination etc. in ground that will allow it's use. As ground gets more mineralised I'd expect the SDC to shine as it does now.
It's not a replacement for any PI gold detector or specifically the SDC.
I'd expect it to do better overseas than here.
I'd still like to play with one :D

Latest posts